• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would still have to be a fantastic effort by pakistan to restrict them to a chaseable target though.
Hmm, South Africa have a lead of 212 at the moment. Given that they don't really have a lower-order, with Boucher being the last one who can bat, and the pitch still reasonably flat, I'd fancy Pakistan a chance. Obviously if the wicket starts to deteriorate even more then Paul Harris, and even Graeme Smith, could play big parts.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Anything less than 350 would be interesting.

Obviously 350 would be a big ask but Pakistan would still have a chance.

Ive been vocal about how Im not a big fan of Prince, but this should be tailor made for him. Lots of time to bat and the ball turning into him. Should suit his limited but controlled game.

Last edited:

grecian

Really, you dont recall the Monty-mania and how he was the 2nd coming on here. People in the pro-camp went overboard. The more rational tried to just calm things down.

I dont think too many on here have said Monty is a bad bowler. Just that he is inexperienced and has a few technical issues to sort out before he can be considered a very good player.
My comments were aimed at Scaly, re: bad bowler, he does seem to allude to that. Theres also a number of people who say that "he won't improve", which seems a bit odd. Not sure about the technical problems (I'm not qualified to talk about them), but he does drop the ball too short too often, and he could use more flight. That's the bit I hope he can improve.

Yes the Monty-hype got a bit tiring, but that's rather par for the course for English sportsman.

Anyway it's a bit off-topic.

This could be an interesting match, any side with Nel batting at 8, can't really guarantee runs in the latter stages of their innings.

Perm

Anything less than 350 would be interesting.

Obviously 350 would be a big ask but Pakistan would still have a chance.

Ive been vocal about how Im not a big fan of Prince, but this should be taylor made for him. Lots of time to bat and the ball turning into him. Should suit his limited but controlled game.
11 from 42 as we speak. Thrilling innings :p

Also, what have you got against Prince? Do you not feel he should be in the Test team?

pup11

International Coach
The game is still very nicely poised atm, though the Proteas are still the firm favourites in this game they would do well to not let Pakistan comeback into this game by losing early wickets in morning session tomorrow.
Anything around 350-375 would be too huge a target for Pakistan to chase batting 4th on this pitch, so the 1st session tomorrow would pretty much decide which direction this game is heading towards.
I always knew Ntini is just not the right bowler for these conditions and i would replace him with Pollock in the next test, i believe even if the Proteas thought that Pollock's bowling won't be effective on this pitch they should have simply selected him on the basis of his batting ahead of Ntini for this test.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Wicket is still appreciably flat and South Africa still need the safety net of 350 plus but that could be easier said than done given the size of the South African tail and how uneasy Ashwell Prince was looking this afternoon. Positive but ultimately controlled aggression is needed for tomorrow, for Shoaib Malik isn't the most patient of captains and whenever his bowlers have been given an ounce of tap his swiftly withdrawn them from them attack.

So if Jacques, AB, Mark or even Ashwell can get on this case of the frontline spinners, Malik should concede the game fairly early on and that’s what South Africa need him to do, for scoring runs on this wicket is still reasonable but having five men breathing down your neck (over upon over) is a different ball game for the batsman.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, was very strange that mid-off was back near the fence in the last half hour of the days play when Kallis was batting.

Seemed a wasted man that applied no pressure and it was never likely Kallis would look to hit big straight at that stage of the game.

It gave easy singles that released pressure

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
On the back of one poor test match?
No, considerable months of mediocrity in all forms of cricket would also conspire against him.

If South Africa wins this test, Pollock is a dead on cert to play in Lahore unless Ntini takes a hatful in the second innings. Makhaya's form really has been a worry for South Africa and with Vincent Barnes probably quitting after the completion of this tour, it will be interesting to see how Makhaya reacts. For unlike a couple of guys he isn't a guaranteed anything, especially away from home.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, was very strange that mid-off was back near the fence in the last half hour of the days play when Kallis was batting.

Seemed a wasted man that applied no pressure and it was never likely Kallis would look to hit big straight at that stage of the game.

It gave easy singles that released pressure
His been ultra-defensive throughout this game and his decision to give up on getting AB out in the first innings was fairly illogical, for he wasn’t even settled. It looks like he knows which South African batsman he thinks his bowlers can get out (Amla, Prince) whilst everyone else needs to get themselves out.

Run like Inzy

U19 12th Man
Pakistan might actually be able to keep SA to a lead of 300 - 350 if they bowl really well tomorrow. The lack of batting means however that they probably won't win or survive. A half fit Yousuf could have given Pakistan a chance.

haroon510

International 12th Man
I was talking purely about Test cricket, in which Mohammad Hafeez is certainly not a failure. Conventiently you mention his last six innings, all of which were against South Africa on some pretty juicy wickets against the best fast bowling attack in the world. Also, he did managed to score a century in the game immediatly preceeding your 'cut-off' point. Up until that tour he was averaging 35, and all of a sudden he has a bad tour against tough opposition and he's a failure? 8-) at that suggestion TBH.

Also, in ODI cricket, he shouldn't be in the side. His bowling is the only thing that's useful, and he certainly doesn't deserve to be opening the batting. He did perform poorly in the Twenty20, but wasn't really given much of a chance to bowl, and was the best option to open the innings due to Salman Butt's obvious failings.

so u r saying failing against a strong bowling side in a pretty juicy wicket isn't called failure..i call it failure indeed... i think i am being harsh on him in test probably but he defintly doesn't deserve his place in one day side... i see this way... pakistan have tried him alot... he failed in his last six innings in test cricket, failed in fifty over world cup, twenty 20 world cup and he is failing in home series then why don't they try yasir hameed instead of him.. certianly hafeez's bowling in test cricket or either form of the game isn't that good to keep his place in the side..

he shouldn't be included in one day and twenty 20 side.. he isn't certainly an aggrassive player and his bating technic fits test matches..

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
If South Africa wins this test, Pollock is a dead on cert to play in Lahore unless Ntini takes a hatful in the second innings.
I imagine if SA wins this test match they'll play the same team, that would be the most sensible thing IMO.

Perm

I imagine if SA wins this test match they'll play the same team, that would be the most sensible thing IMO.
Even though the team would be inferior to a team that they could field? It'd be very un-sensible to field a weaker team, due to one bowler's lack of pace.