• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Pakistan

haroon510

International 12th Man
Hafeez isn't a failure. I get sick of these fans that label players as failures after one poor series. Seems to happen an awful lot with Pakistani fans.
what?

take a look at his last six innings

http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

and his last five odi innings

http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

they guy is just dire... yasir hameed should be given a chance in place of him

he didn't make much runs in 20/20 also

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
what?

take a look at his last six innings

and his last five odi innings

they guy is just dire... yasir hameed should be given a chance in place of him

he didn't make much runs in 20/20 also
I was talking purely about Test cricket, in which Mohammad Hafeez is certainly not a failure. Conventiently you mention his last six innings, all of which were against South Africa on some pretty juicy wickets against the best fast bowling attack in the world. Also, he did managed to score a century in the game immediatly preceeding your 'cut-off' point. Up until that tour he was averaging 35, and all of a sudden he has a bad tour against tough opposition and he's a failure? 8-) at that suggestion TBH.

Also, in ODI cricket, he shouldn't be in the side. His bowling is the only thing that's useful, and he certainly doesn't deserve to be opening the batting. He did perform poorly in the Twenty20, but wasn't really given much of a chance to bowl, and was the best option to open the innings due to Salman Butt's obvious failings.

Perm

Our whole batting lineup is failures. Failures the lot of them! :@ :@
I realise this post is probably in jest, but nevertheless :p

Younis Khan, Mohammad Hafeez and Shoaib Malik are the only batsman who aren't failures. Kamran Akman is a liability within the side while I don't think Misbah-ul-Haq or Faisal Iqbal are Test standard batsman. Salman Butt is young, and has the potential to be a very good opener . With Mohammad Yousuf and Inzamam-ul-Haq in the side, which they should be IMO, the team would look so much stronger.

Perm

I honestly dont understand how Ntini, the way he has been bowling of late, can be prefered over Pollock.
Of late? Ntini has been superb in his last 10 Tests, so I can only assume you're talking about his woeful limited overs form, which doesn't really have much to do with Test selection.

Of course I'm not suggesting he should be in the side ahead of Shaun Pollock, because I don't think that at all. He'll be far less effective on the flat tracks of Pakistan.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Of late? Ntini has been superb in his last 10 Tests, so I can only assume you're talking about his woeful limited overs form, which doesn't really have much to do with Test selection.

Of course I'm not suggesting he should be in the side ahead of Shaun Pollock, because I don't think that at all. He'll be far less effective on the flat tracks of Pakistan.
Yes I was talking of how he bowled in odi's but it was enough to see that he was in poor form. I was not going by lack of wickets or the runs he gave.

pup11

International Coach
Where is that guy Asim Kamal, he was pretty good test player IMO, is he still playing domestic cricket?

pup11

International Coach
Good to see Butt showing some character here, i came to know he was really ill till yesterday but still he is fighting it out there for his country.

PakPowered

School Boy/Girl Captain
Where is that guy Asim Kamal, he was pretty good test player IMO, is he still playing domestic cricket?
Yes he is, infact he made 49 against the present Sa side in side match.The manner in which he is being treted is unfortunate, he should have played this test match in place of Faisla Iqbal.

Perm

Shoaib Malik leading a recovery here, good to see him continue to pump out the runs. Also, brave showing from Salman Butt to come and bat for his country after being very ill.

Is the wicket completely dead now?

Perm

Far too inconsistent, he hasn't scored a First Class century since the 2002/2003 season. Completely out of the picture now due to his poor form over the last couple of years.

biased indian

International Coach
Shoaib Malik leading a recovery here, good to see him continue to pump out the runs. Also, brave showing from Salman Butt to come and bat for his country after being very ill.

Is the wicket completely dead now?
both gone now

SA will bat again even if they have the option to enforce follow-on i think

Scaly piscine

Hmm Paul Harris doing well, amazing how people don't believe me when I say Pakistan aren't that great at playing finger spin - after they've based their argument on Panesar's greatness from his figures against Pakistan.

Perm

Good signs for South Africa with Paul Harris picking up a 5'fer, becoming a pretty good spinner, hopefully he starts to cement himself in the side ahead of one of the fast bowlers. Ntini has been expensive, I wouldn't mind seeing him replace for the 2nd Test.

EDIT: Danish Kaneria doing very well with the bat.

grecian

South Africa have got to be disappointed, not bowling this lot out before the follow-on. A Pakistan side without Inzi or Yousuf looks weak, and that tail looked to be one of the worst in Test cricket.

and no-ones saying Montys "great", we just say he's not bad as you make out, Scaly. Hell, even Gareth Battys not as bad as you make monty out to be, ffs.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm Paul Harris doing well, amazing how people don't believe me when I say Pakistan aren't that great at playing finger spin - after they've based their argument on Panesar's greatness from his figures against Pakistan.
Yeah, well its usually a case of lazyness.

The Indians play spin well and have good records against them and they produce spinners in abundance and they are on the sub-continent. Pakistan is also on the sub-continent ergo they must play spin well.

Its completely false. The Pakistani players do not play spin well and are different to Indian players.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
and no-ones saying Montys "great", we just say he's not bad as you make out, Scaly. Hell, even Gareth Battys not as bad as you make monty out to be, ffs.
Really, you dont recall the Monty-mania and how he was the 2nd coming on here. People in the pro-camp went overboard. The more rational tried to just calm things down.

I dont think too many on here have said Monty is a bad bowler. Just that he is inexperienced and has a few technical issues to sort out before he can be considered a very good player.

Perm

South Africa in trouble here, 3 wickets down for just 43 runs. Abdur Rehman and Danish Kaneria amongst the wickets.

The_Bunny

State Regular
South Africa in trouble here, 3 wickets down for just 43 runs. Abdur Rehman and Danish Kaneria amongst the wickets.
Would still have to be a fantastic effort by pakistan to restrict them to a chaseable target though.