• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India

hardnut

Cricket Spectator
Can't believe took my comment seriously, your are funny bunch on CC takes light hearted comments too serious.

But seriously its pretty boring watching two batsmen milking singles to get back into a match. Much rather the way India and Pakistan found ways of getting back into matches in the Twenty20 WC Final. Really I think yesterdays' match just showed how poor ODIs and how boring the 20 to 40 over period can be from spectators POV.

Fair enough you knew if they made one mistake India could really roll Australia. But when you can go for 20 odd overs just playing borng cricket and not needing to take risk to get back into a game. Thats pretty poor, atleast in Twenty20 you can do that but still have to take risks.

Not taking anything away from Haddin's and Clarke's innings as they played the game the way it had to in the situation. But the fact you can get away with playing pretty boring cricket is pretty crap. Just once again shows one of the major falls in ODIs.

Obviously another post not to be taken seriously.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Clearly that was just my personal opinion that it was relatively boring cricket.
So one of the major falls in ODIs is that you don't like them? I'm sure very few people care whether you like them or not. I'm not a big fan of Twenty20 cricket at all but I can see why people are and I respect that. I'm not going to declare something intrinsically boring just because I don't like it.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Its not good news its been raining very heavily at Kochi for the last week or so and its where the next game is to be played, the thing that really pisses me off is a cricket match being washed-out or halted due to rain, its really about time the adminstrators do something about this (get some damn ****ing moveable roofs installed on top of the stadiums).
wow that is awfully frustrating...... especially since i only get to really watch 3 full games this series coz i start skool next week

but in a sense this is good for Australia, as Bracken and Ponting will be back

pup11

International Coach
Laurrz, how is yesterday's result good for Australia mate, i think Australia would have won the game yesterday (i know the ever optimistic Indian fans would say India would have won with an over to spare) there was swing for both Johnson and Lee and they already got the big wicket of Tendulkar so it would have been really tough for India to win yesterday's game.
Btw, Mitchell has really impressed me so far in this season, he looks like a far more complete bowler this season, he is bowling slower-balls and good yorkers, bowling around the wicket and more importantly he looks in great rhythm. I have heard a lot of people say how he just doesn't swing the ball into the right-handed batsmen but the very reason for that is he doesn't ball with the new ball, i have seen him bowl with the new ball 2 times in his international career (once in KL where he took 4-15 and in yesterday's game) and on both occasions he swung the ball very well.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I think it was good that Clarke and Hayden got a bit of a hit and that Haddin and Hopes got to play good innings. The Aussies looked pretty rusty - the shot that Hayden got out trying to play was a shocker, and Symonds also looked rusty.

The big bonus was that Johnson got Tendulkar before the game was rained out - couple with his efforts last year, this should give him enormous confidence going into the rest of the series, and might, just, sew a couple of seeds in Tendulkar's mind regarding Johnson - which can only be good when we've got another 6 games here and then some tests in a couple of months.

Obviously it would have been a better result had the bowlers got to bowl some more overs, but overall how it panned out, especially given we were 4/90-ish at one point, definitely had more positives than negatives.

hardnut

Cricket Spectator
Laurrz, how is yesterday's result good for Australia mate, i think Australia would have won the game yesterday (i know the ever optimistic Indian fans would say India would have won with an over to spare) there was swing for both Johnson and Lee and they already got the big wicket of Tendulkar so it would have been really tough for India to win yesterday's game.
Btw, Mitchell has really impressed me so far in this season, he looks like a far more complete bowler this season, he is bowling slower-balls and good yorkers, bowling around the wicket and more importantly he looks in great rhythm. I have heard a lot of people say how he just doesn't swing the ball into the right-handed batsmen but the very reason for that is he doesn't ball with the new ball, i have seen him bowl with the new ball 2 times in his international career (once in KL where he took 4-15 and in yesterday's game) and on both occasions he swung the ball very well.
I don't think he was saying yesterday's result was good for Australia.

Interesting for Johnson - played India 3 times, twice got Tendulkar out cheaply (and the other time Sachin was out before he got a chance to bowl).

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
C'mon mate don't put the mocker on Mitch because the very next game Tendulkar could hammer Johnson to all parts of the ground, but their is no doubt Johnson is talented bloke and i think the time he spend in MRF pace academy helped him.
P.S: Has anybody seen the weather forecast for Tuesday's game??

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, mocker or not, its not saying that he has the wood on Tendulkar or owns him - that would be foolish. But it is fair to say that its a better result than going for plenty each time he's bowled to him, as must have been the fate of plenty of youngsters in their first attempt at bowling to the champ.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm pretty sure there was an Indian umpire out there yesterday but I thought the rules state that you can't have home umpires. :unsure:

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Can't have home umpires for Tests, and can't have two umpires for an ODI. The 'elite panel' are in such demand, and there are so many ODIs its not feasible to have two neutrals for every ODI - so the standard is you have one neutral and one home umpire.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
So one of the major falls in ODIs is that you don't like them? I'm sure very few people care whether you like them or not. I'm not a big fan of Twenty20 cricket at all but I can see why people are and I respect that. I'm not going to declare something intrinsically boring just because I don't like it.
Never said i didn't like ODIs full stop. I just stated one of the reasons i prefer other formats to 50-over is the period of matches. I fell in ODIs that has become very boring and predicatable during the middle orders. I never stated the whole format is boring and predictable that that period of matches.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I am confident we will soon see some drastic changes in the rules and regulations of Odi cricket, but i hope those changes are such that they don't kill the basic essence of Odi cricket.
There was a suggestion that divide Odi cricket into 2 innings of 25 overs each and hence add some pace and take out the predictable middle-over phase. Do you guys think such a makeover would work for Odi cricket.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
There was a suggestion that divide Odi cricket into 2 innings of 25 overs each and hence add some pace and take out the predictable middle-over phase. Do you guys think such a makeover would work for Odi cricket.
I really, really dont.

R_D

International Debutant
After watching the 20/20.. ODI does seem a bit long.
As for India's stadium... its a well known fact BCCI treats its fans like trash hence why the stadium doesn't look good and from what i hear the seats aren't very comfrotable either... not exactly a great sport viewing stadium.

I don't why to morons in BCCI don't schdule the matches more carefully... pretty sure its the raining season down south, so they schdule a ODI match their.. pretty good chance of next match getting washed out as well. This is happend before as well, another case not caring about the paying public. I felt sorry for the people that went to stadium at Banglore as well. Its not BCCI's fault it rained there but why schudeule a match during their wet season.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Uthappa.

I didn't watch after Powar's first over. Was he really that bad to be dropped? (His figures do show it obviously). His first over was brilliant, what the hell happened after that?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He bowled a lot of full-tosses I think, that's what I'm lead to beleive anyway. Given Harbhajan's strong showing in the World Twenty20 and Powar's limitations in the field, it wouldn't be a bad move at all.

Also, I'd like to see Rohit Sharma come in for Ganguly. He strikes me as a better player than Uthappa, but also somebody who could handle and enjoy the pressure of playing against Australia, much like Kevin Pietersen.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
He bowled two or three full tosses to Clarke, who hit each of them for 6, or at least 4. He also dropped short, and in fact basically lost the plot.

R_D

International Debutant
He bowled two or three full tosses to Clarke, who hit each of them for 6, or at least 4. He also dropped short, and in fact basically lost the plot.
yeah spot on... don't know what happend to him after that first over... was bowling either too full or too short.