• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia A in Pakistan

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda has gone very quiet...
One match doesn't prove much. Most predicted Australia to play better in FC matches anyway.

Also one has to remember that their top bowler from the OD series is in South Africa. With the non selection of MoYo, Inzi and Razzaq in the Twenty20 squad this Pakistan squad has a lot of guys that usually wouldn't play for the A team.

The lack of depth this Pakistan squad and better balance of the Australian squad in FC are the bigger factor in this result. But who is the say Pakistan might not show up Australia's current weakness in depth again in the next match.

hardnut

Cricket Spectator
Ahh there you are. :)

One match doesn't prove much. Most predicted Australia to play better in FC matches anyway.
Well most predicted that because the squad we sent over was essentially centred around the four-day game with a few one-day players thrown in. Cullen Bailey bowled more overs in this one-day series than he did in the entire 06/07 domestic one day season. :laugh:

Also one has to remember that their top bowler from the OD series is in South Africa.
No, their top bowler from the OD series is playing in this match. And as you rightly said previously, losing a player to the main team is no excuse (remember Hilfenhaus??).

With the non selection of MoYo, Inzi and Razzaq in the Twenty20 squad this Pakistan squad has a lot of guys that usually wouldn't play for the A team.
er - isn't this exactly the same for us, and a point you previously dismissed?

The lack of depth this Pakistan squad and better balance of the Australian squad in FC are the bigger factor in this result. But who is the say Pakistan might not show up Australia's current weakness in depth again in the next match.
Australia’s problem was not weakness in depth, as I pointed out to you in this post which you ignored.

pup11

International Coach
I think Hopes is really making a strong statement in front of the Australian selectors for the berth of the all-rounder's slot in the Australian team, he had a terrific last season and he has been very consistent since then, so the pressure is gonna be on Watto to remain fit and start performing with both bat and ball.
Anyways Aussie's would be pushing for a victory today and it could a contest between Cullen and MacGilla to pick the remaining 7 wickets.

brockley

International Captain
Mcdonald is the 1 for the test side,symmo's bowling has gone completely down hill,hopes bowling not good enough,and watson will be struggling all summer to play a 4 dayer than a 1 dayer or a 20/20.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
er - isn't this exactly the same for us, and a point you previously dismissed?
No, because none of Australia's regular players haven't been selected for the Twenty20 World Cup, meaning their second string players are touring Pakistan, whereas a few second-stringers from Pakistan have been called up, allowing some players who wouldn't usually get a spot in the 'A' team to have a crack.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Mcdonald is the 1 for the test side,symmo's bowling has gone completely down hill,hopes bowling not good enough,and watson will be struggling all summer to play a 4 dayer than a 1 dayer or a 20/20.
I agree McDonald has a better shot at it than Hopes, I still dont think we've seen the best of McDonald as a cricketer yet he's undervalued and I can see him doing a job in future if given a chance at the top level.
Hopes is a slightly lesser batsman than Symonds and his bowling is not likely to give anybody headaches at test level, he's a good one day player but not test material.

brockley

International Captain
Mcdonald was injured luke butterworth took his place,what an awful tour he has had.
The state of 4 dayers is stronger in oz so not surprised we have dominated the 4 dayer.
I think india A would be a much tougher test for our boys.

hardnut

Cricket Spectator
No, because none of Australia's regular players haven't been selected for the Twenty20 World Cup, meaning their second string players are touring Pakistan, whereas a few second-stringers from Pakistan have been called up, allowing some players who wouldn't usually get a spot in the 'A' team to have a crack.
OK, but the point is - if they are in the first team squad they are no longer second stringers regardless of whether other players are absent due to injury/lack of form/selectors whims/etc

And if this discussion is about 'team depth', how many in this Australian squad would really make our first or second best team anyway? Three? Four max?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Um...dar...did you even read my post? I said he was an over-rated batsman, and that I was very surprised he got the captaincy ahead of other members of the squad.
How is his captaincy related to his batting though? When people asked why you thought he was over-rated, you conceded that he deserved to be on tour but not as captain. That statement suggests it is in fact his captaincy that you feel is over-rated, despite never seeing it.

pup11

International Coach
I think Mister Wright was obviously trying to say that Voges doesn't even deserves to be in the A side leave alone being the captain, though i agree Voges shouldn't have been the captain, but there is no reason why he shouldn't have been in the A side.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Australia A take it by an innings and 203 runs.

Cullen and MacGill bowled almost 2/3rds of the overs in the Pakistan second innings, and got 3 each. 3/65 from 37.2 for Cullen and 3/81 from 40 for MacGill.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
How is his captaincy related to his batting though? When people asked why you thought he was over-rated, you conceded that he deserved to be on tour but not as captain. That statement suggests it is in fact his captaincy that you feel is over-rated, despite never seeing it.
It was pretty obvious when he said he was over-rated he was refering to the fact that his considered the next cab off the rank when it comes to middle order after Hodge. Clearly he rates him a lot further down the list and there over-rated if his next in line. I don't think he very mentioned in his post that he should be in the squad.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Geez, what EWS said isn't that complicated. If one accepts that Voges should be in the A squad, and he is a good captain, then there's no reason he shouldn't captain the squad. If you think he shouldn't captain the squad, you are obviously suggesting either that a) he isn't good enough to be in the squad, or b) that he isn't a good enough captain to captain the squad.

Mister Wright said Voges should be in the squad, even though he was overrated, so the obvious assumption is therefore that he has some sort of problem with his captaincy, unless one just assumes the best batsman in the squad will be captain.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Geez, what EWS said isn't that complicated. If one accepts that Voges should be in the A squad, and he is a good captain, then there's no reason he shouldn't captain the squad. If you think he shouldn't captain the squad, you are obviously suggesting either that a) he isn't good enough to be in the squad, or b) that he isn't a good enough captain to captain the squad.

Mister Wright said Voges should be in the squad, even though he was overrated, so the obvious assumption is therefore that he has some sort of problem with his captaincy, unless one just assumes the best batsman in the squad will be captain.
Haha, thank you. I thought I had completely lost the plot for a while. :p