• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's top 50 cricketers

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
The following would be the top 10 in warnes list with no particular order
1.Lara
2.Tendulkar
3.McGrath
4.Ricky Ponting
5.Muralitharan
6.Ambrose
7.Allan Border
8. Mark Taylor
9. Wasim Akram
10.Graham Thorpe (likely)/Healy/Laxman/Inzamam
As i see it the last slot might see some surprise. Inzamam will not probably make it, as he has not scored well against aussies most of the time.Laxman iam not sure as he has done well only against aussies and mediocre against most of the other countries.Healy could go either way.Thorpe looks like he will make it as he has done very well against aussies and good with the rest of other teams.
We will all know it tommorow,hopefully.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
Pretty good read this..... lets see if there is any surprises in the top 10 as well.

Dissector

International Debutant
Remember that leaving Healy out of the top 10 means leaving him out of the top 50 behind players like Siddons. I think that's inconceivable.

BTW Warne's comments on Steve Waugh were mentioned on ESPN today. Say what you will, Warne certainly knows how to create a ruckus. :laugh:

Despite the sometimes absurd picks, I can't wait to read the final installment. I hope it's tomorrow instead of Monday.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I have a feeling that Laxman will miss out, yes Laxman handled him brilliantly but there were people like Salim Malik, Ijaz Ahmed and Navjot Sidhu who also did exceptionally well especially Malik who was absolutley lethal against Warney in 94.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pretty good read this..... lets see if there is any surprises in the top 10 as well.
The fact that it's generated 6 pages (231 posts as of this one) of CW discussion in less than 3 days says it's served its primary purpose - to drum-up interest.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have a feeling that Laxman will miss out, yes Laxman handled him brilliantly but there were people like Salim Malik, Ijaz Ahmed and Navjot Sidhu who also did exceptionally well especially Malik who was absolutley lethal against Warney in 94.
Nah, I don't think there is any way that Laxman can miss out. His feats against the Australians are legendary and he is one of the most respected and feared batsman by the Australian team of the last few years.

howardj

International Coach
I am surprised Gilchrist is so low. I am pretty sure Healy will be in the top 10. Not surprising I suppose that Warne is more interested in glovework than batting in a keeper.

I don't think there will be too many surprises in the top 10:

McGrath
Lara
Tendulkar
Border
Ponting
Murali
Akram
Healy
Ambrose
Laxman
Yeah, that's probably the 10 - though I'm shocked to see Laxman so high. Be disappointed if he made the top ten. Anyway, what's the bet he takes a back-handed swipe at Gilchrist when he comments on Healy. lol. It's no secret that he and Gilly didn't really get on too well.

Anyway, I reckon Muller could be a bolter.

Perm

It's no secret that he and Gilly didn't really get on too well.
Can't say I've heard too much about that before, is it really like that? I always thought Gilchrist and Warne got on reasonably well.

Perm

though I'm shocked to see Laxman so high. Be disappointed if he made the top ten.
Why? His feats against Australia are phenomenal and he is held in very high respect by the Australian dressing room from what I've heard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, that's probably the 10 - though I'm shocked to see Laxman so high. Be disappointed if he made the top ten. Anyway, what's the bet he takes a back-handed swipe at Gilchrist when he comments on Healy. lol. It's no secret that he and Gilly didn't really get on too well.
Can't say I've heard too much about that before, is it really like that? I always thought Gilchrist and Warne got on reasonably well.
Yeah, thought the same thing myself.

Gilchrist's always struck me as the sort of guy who's pretty difficult not to get on with, really. One of the least malicious, most make-an-effort-to-be-friendly types going around, from all I've seen.

That's why your avatar's always confused me Ritchie. :p

Last edited:

Perm

Yeah, thought the same thing myself.

Gilchrist's always struck me as the sort of guy who's pretty difficult not to get on with, really. One of the least malicious, most make-an-effort-to-be-friendly types going around, from all I've seen.

That's why your avatar's always confused me Ritchie. :p
Once again, where is the linkage?

If there was a rift between Warne and Gilchrist I would be surprised, but I suppose it could be because of their different characters. Warne is a bit of a loose cannon while Gilchrist appears to be very proper and respectful, in a non snooty kind of way.

Not too sure what you mean about my avatar actually Richard, care to explain?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was joking that your avatar had coerced me into thinking you were one of the least malicious, most make-an-effort-to-be-friendly types going around, and had been proven horribly wrong... :mellow:

Never mind.

Oh, yeah - I didn't think linkage was neccessary, the meaning being clear, but have made an effort to be even more transparent - check the edited post.

Perm

Was joking that your avatar had coerced me into thinking you were one of the least malicious, most make-an-effort-to-be-friendly types going around, and had been proven horribly wrong... :mellow:

Never mind.

Oh, yeah - I didn't think linkage was neccessary, the meaning being clear, but have made an effort to be even more transparent - check the edited post.
Much better on the linkage front ;)

Meh, Gilchrist can be pretty ruthless at times ya'know. Not afraid to speak his mind.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
The following would be the top 10 in warnes list with no particular order
1.Lara
2.Tendulkar
3.McGrath
4.Ricky Ponting
5.Muralitharan
6.Ambrose
7.Allan Border
8. Mark Taylor
9. Wasim Akram
10.Graham Thorpe (likely)/Healy/Laxman/Inzamam
As i see it the last slot might see some surprise. Inzamam will not probably make it, as he has not scored well against aussies most of the time.Laxman iam not sure as he has done well only against aussies and mediocre against most of the other countries.Healy could go either way.Thorpe looks like he will make it as he has done very well against aussies and good with the rest of other teams.
We will all know it tommorow,hopefully.
OK the final count down is out. Pretty much what i have said exactly.Tendulkar leads the list and the last man is healy as mentioned. So thorpe,laxman and inzamam is out.Pretty good of warne to come up with this list.Great stuff warney!!K :cool: eep it up.Here is the link and top 10
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/shane_warne/article2364258.ece
10 Ian Healy
9 Mark Taylor
8 Ricky Ponting
7 Muttiah Muralitharan
6 Wasim Akram
5 Glenn McGrath
4 Allan Border
3 Curtly Ambrose
2 Brian Lara
1 Sachin Tendulkar

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, the boy done good.

Thought his comments were pretty good tbh. His sentences on Murali was pretty gracious. Healy's comment did contain a subtle swipe at Gilly re: batsman/keepers, as someone predicted.

His comments on Ambrose over McGrath agree exactly with my (armchair) opinion as well.

Last edited: