• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's top 50 cricketers

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Invented the other day? :blink: I've been using that one for 3 years!

And I believe MOO actually counts as an acronym too. :p

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
An acronym is a type of abbreviation in my book.

And I'd never seen you or anyone else use it before until yesterday or the day before...

iamdavid

International Debutant
It's more of which cricketers he liked to watch, and play with and against the most. I wouldn't exactly take it as gospel. I mean, I don't think he really believes that Harmison and Donald are equivalent as players, regardless of how close they are ranked with each other....
Yeah I agree, I think its more about who he respected most and who he had the best battles with/against. Coz obviously May isnt fit to lace Donald's boots let alone be ranked above him.
I expect Laxman to be very high.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, exactly - it's clearly the players that Warney admires or who he has seen at their absolute best. Which is why I'm thinking Akram will be so much higher than Waqar was, and why I think he'll place M.Waugh and KP much higher than he might if he was just ranking them as cricketers over the course of their careers in entirety.

I'm reckoning Laxman and Freddie will place very highly, as will Heals.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:

Here's a thought - I wonder if we'll see an appearance from Salim Malik? Obviously no love lost between the two, but Malik played some superb innings against him, none more so than the double ton in Rawalpindi in '94.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow nice pick up - I'd completely forgotten he ever played Test cricket for Australia.

I think I preferred it that way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scott Muller?
Hahaha.

Does he and Nathan Hauritz go down as Australia's most random Test cricketer's in the last 8 or 9 years?
Interestingly, though Young obviously only played the Test he played because he was fortunate to be in the country and hence is undoubtedly more random than either, surely his career ITE is likely to be far more notable than either Muller's or Hauritz's? Seems to have had seasons of reasonably good performance as opposed to Muller who IIRR got in on something like half-a-season of superlativeness, and Hauritz who got in because... well, I don't know really TBH.

Can't imagine I'll ever see someone who's looked less like a Test cricketer than Hauritz really. Devon Malcolm in 1989 might have done, but he came back a year later and performed borderline wonders (for all of 2 series).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
LOL fair go to Haury. He performed pretty well on debut - yes Im aware Michael Clarke got 5-9 that day.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, interesting stuff he said about Donald.

I think VVS and Freddie will make the top 10. Pietersen will be top 20 I reckon.

Tendulkar, McGrath and Lara top 5. Quite curious where he places Ponting, probably top 10 too.

Also wondering on Murali and Kumble.