• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's top 50 cricketers

biased indian

International Coach
Kapil Dev (India)
Test matches 131
Runs 5,248 at 31.05
Wickets 434 at 29.64
He was the bowler I first faced in Test cricket – it took me 27 minutes to get off the mark. Although his Test career was coming to the end by then, he still had a very good action and a dangerous outswinger. He also remained an explosive batsman. Definitely one of the great India players. I was pleased that our paths just crossed.

Stuart MacGill (Australia)
Test matches 40
Wickets 198 at 27.20
Has always put some serious rage on the ball and bowls one of the most violent leg breaks in the game as well as an effective googly. He sees himself purely as a wicket-taker, with a good strike-rate. Over the next few years, he should get a good run in international cricket while our younger spin bowlers begin to come through.

Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka)
Test matches 107
Runs 6,791 at 40.42
Wickets 96 at 34.17
One of the greatest one-day players in the game, whose aggression in the opening overs of matches during the 1996 World Cup represented a serious development. For a small man, he is very powerful and his left-arm spin is underestimated. He has been a good foil for Muttiah Muralitharan.

Stephen Harmison (England)
Test matches 54
Wickets 205 at 30.82
On his day, he is one of the most awkward bowlers in the world. I hope he can overcome his injuries to lead the England attack again. He has returned some great figures and, although he wasn’t the leading wicket-taker in the 2005 Ashes, he set the tone with his bowling in the initial stages at Lord’s.

Andy Flower (Zimbabwe)
Test matches 63
Runs 4,794 at 51.54
Catches 151
Stumpings 9
He was a forerunner to Adam Gilchrist as a left-handed wicketkeeper, who also scored hundreds on a regular basis – 12 in Test matches. Unlike Gilchrist, he did not have great players to lay the foundations. A good player of spin, he must be the best player to have represented Zimbabwe.

Michael Vaughan (England)
Test matches 70
Runs 5,141 at 43.94
He will always be remembered as the man who captained England to the Ashes in 2005, but I also think of his three hundreds in the 2002-03 series. He was an effective player, who also looked very stylish on our quicker pitches. I also admire the courage he has shown to come back from his serious knee injuries.

Bruce Reid (Australia)
Test matches 27
Wickets 113 at 24.63
But for injuries, which curtailed his career, his reputation would be even higher. On song, he was just about the best there has been. He had good pace, remarkable control and generated bounce and movement. Being tall and left-arm made him very difficult to face. Nowadays, he is one of the leading bowling coaches.

Allan Donald (South Africa)
Test matches 72
Wickets 330 at 22.25
Like Waqar Younis yesterday, he may be a bit lower than people expect. When conditions were in his favour, he was dangerous, without question, but there were times when a few of us wondered if his head dropped too soon if things were not going his way. He was quick, but, at times, he struggled to impose himself on the opposition.

Robin Smith (England)
Test matches 62
Runs 4,236 at 43.67
He always put England’s interests before his own, batting wherever they asked in the order and still managing to average in the mid40s over a Test career that should have gone on longer. He could be a destructive player of fast bowling and nobody cut more fiercely. He is also the nicest person I have met in 20 years of cricket.

Tim May (Australia)
Test matches 24
Wickets 75 at 34.74

I always thought he was a fantastic guy to have bowling with me in tandem at the other end. For an off spinner, he had the perfect, traditional, legitimate side-on action and his role in the 1993 Ashes win has been badly overlooked. He was one of our key players and gave me a lot of help in my first series against England.

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Harmison is atleast 50 spots above where he should be :laugh:

I reckon Laxman, Dravid, Bevan to make the top 10 in addition to the usual suspects.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Interesting insights. Very honest. I'll be very interested to see where he rates Kallis.
I was thinking the same thing as soon as I read Donalds rather harsh comment.
I like the list so far, he's not just picking players just on stats.

I think his next 10 will include Merv Hughes and David Boon.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't help but feel that when he wrote his comments about Donald he was still thinking about Steve Harmison...

Very interesting though, to say the least.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
waqar 'fed' off wasim in the same manner in which warne 'fed' off mcgrath
Thats interesting. I never thought of it like that. While it is true that fast bowlers are more effective as a pair with both benefitting , generally, it can happen, sometimes that one player benefits from the other a bit more.

I did a quick check of Waqar's figures till his 65th test when he got his 300th test wicket against Sri Lanka in the summer of 2000. I left out the rest of his career since it is clear he was past his prime and wouldnt have done better with or without better supportat the opposite end.

In the first 67 games he missed the company of his illustrious left handed partner only ten times amazing that they played so many games together. Here are the figures with and without Akram

With Akram :
265 - wickets at 22.8 in 57 tests

Without Akram
43 wickets at 20.4 in 10 tests.

hmmmm

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
It seems to me that this list is restricted to cricketers he played with or against judging by the list so far so i wouldn't expect Bradman, benaud etc to be there. Oddities in the second ten: That Steve Harmison and Allan Donald are so close together (because AD only averaged 31 v Australia? I know who I'd have in my team) and that Robin Smith got in when in the 1993 Ashes he was easy meat for Warne and Tim May and did not finish the series. On that basis D Cullinan might get in yet....

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
There you have it, in Warne's world Harmison > Kapil Dev, and Tim May > Allan Donald.

What does the Warnie award description say - sometimes controversial but always interesting?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
"Perhaps the best German cricketer of all time, and my pick for the greatest cricketer I've seen play. Top bloke too, loved his spirits and the ladies, and thoroughly bamboozled the second best player of his time (refer Darryl Cullinan), which speaks volumes of his ability with the ball. Some say the secret to his success was his strict diet of baked beans and Sauerkraut, but it was more probably the thick and luxurious Samson-like crop of hair."
Yeah, yeah!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There you have it, in Warne's world Harmison > Kapil Dev, and Tim May > Allan Donald.

What does the Warnie award description say - sometimes controversial but always interesting?
Jeez, he's kidding, surely? How anyone can possibly argue that Tim May > Allan Donald is just, well, beyond belief really.

Harmison getting anywhere near a top-50 is ridiculous, obviously.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
When you have a lucrative hair-restoration-advertising contract Richard, then you can heap scorn. Until then, I suggest you try a little humility.

:p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oddities in the second ten: That Steve Harmison and Allan Donald are so close together (because AD only averaged 31 v Australia? I know who I'd have in my team)
Even that's just so ridiculous as to strain belief. Donald's last 3 Tests against Australia - by which time he'd ceased to be especially good against anyone - throw that equation out totally.

The real Donald averaged 27.85 against Australia and put in many fine performances. Should we say that Glenn McGrath, whose story against South Africa was broadly fairly similar (27.33 as opposed to 27.85, with good games and bad games thrown in) was equally lesser?

Crap shall we.

Allan Donald was very possibly the best bowler of Warne's time. To rank him below Tim May, well... surely just a publicity stunt.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
So we're comparing Donald minus his poor games to McGrath's overall record, and saying that because that's "crap" (presuming because its an unfair comparison to McGrath, but prepared to be surprised...) that we shouldn't include Donald's poor games when considering him in isolation?

A bit of a reach Richard, even by your debating standards...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, we're not comparing Donald minus his poor games, we're deducting the games (against all opposition, at the very end of his career) when Donald was clearly nowhere near the bowler he once was. Deducting poor games by cherry-picking is just a stupid thing to do, why on Earth would I do that? Anyone looks good if you do that. Notice there are still several poor games in that Donald sample above, yes?

McGrath never had such a stage at the end of his career. The only games you need to deduct from him are his first 8 - admittedly 2 against SA, so that's actually 26.01.

I was saying "crap shall we", incidentally, because I know there's no chance of Warne doing such a thing.

Last edited:

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, tbf(?) to Warne, he questioned Donald's heart in unfavourable conditions, not his effectiveness during the peak of his career...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And to do so is crazy, too - this is a bowler who's had success all over The World by bowling everything a bowler could ever wish to bowl.

You don't do that by lacking heart - and if you bowl everything a seamer can bowl, there is no such thing as unfavourable conditions, you can turn anything to your favour.

McGrath did - so did Donald. And this is shown by the fact that both excelled against the best batting-line-up of their day - India. In India.

This despite the fact that their records against each others' team is actually pretty moderate by their standards.

TBH I just hate to see sportsmen accused of lacking heart. To me, it's just about the worst thing you can accuse a sportsman of. And when it's so patently not true, and in the case of one of my favourite players ever, I tend to get a bit annoyed.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Richard It is so obvious that he's doing his selections on stats.

Just enjoy the list. Interesting to see where Slats and Kumble.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If he puts Slats and Tubby Taylor ahead of Hayden, I'll partially forgive him.

But I doubt it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's more of which cricketers he liked to watch, and play with and against the most. I wouldn't exactly take it as gospel. I mean, I don't think he really believes that Harmison and Donald are equivalent as players, regardless of how close they are ranked with each other....