• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's top 50 cricketers

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, Warne (I think) is only including players he has played with or against.
Well there doesn't appear to be any said stipulation in any of the publication so far. You'd imagine it'd say "My top 50 greatest cricketers of my time" or summat instead of just "My top 50 greatest cricketers".

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Having read Warne's AutoBio, I reckon that #1 will be someone like Richie Benaud, Sachin Tendulkar or Glenn McGrath, not Bradman. I'll probably be wrong, but the way Warne is, he won't like putting the most obvious choice first.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ummm, I may be wrong here, but I buy the Times, and I'm reasonably sure that ss is right, Warne is ranking the players he's played with and against. Times online is very misleading though, maybe they're trying to *** it up.

I don't have yesterdays Times, its been put in the heinously coloured receptacle in my garden, so I can't confirm this. Yet so far all the players have been within his playing span, and it would explain why some less then "great" players have been included:unsure:

He's also going to include 25 Aussies and 25 others, if my memory serves me correctly.

haroon510

International 12th Man
where can we find the rest of the 40 players names.. lol

i am interested to know who would be his top 10 cricketers..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Having read Warne's AutoBio, I reckon that #1 will be someone like Richie Benaud, Sachin Tendulkar or Glenn McGrath, not Bradman. I'll probably be wrong, but the way Warne is, he won't like putting the most obvious choice first.
Or himself... :unsure:

Which would be pretty like him TBH. :p

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Or himself... :unsure:

Which would be pretty like him TBH. :p
Actually, I'd be more inclined to say that's not like him. He may be a confident individual, but the level of proudness to which you're implying is not Warne's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why not?

You think he wouldn't rate himself the best cricketer of his days, or that he'd not say so if he did?

Chubby Rain

School Boy/Girl Captain
Would be a pretty awkward three or four sentence description though, to say the least.
"Perhaps the best German cricketer of all time, and my pick for the greatest cricketer I've seen play. Top bloke too, loved his spirits and the ladies, and thoroughly bamboozled the second best player of his time (refer Darryl Cullinan), which speaks volumes of his ability with the ball. Some say the secret to his success was his strict diet of baked beans and Sauerkraut, but it was more probably the thick and luxurious Samson-like crop of hair."

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually, I'd be more inclined to say that's not like him. He may be a confident individual, but the level of proudness to which you're implying is not Warne's.
Agree with you on this point, Warne is a supremely confident person but I can't imagine him ranking himself as #1.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
That's agree with The Gelman (AKA pasag), agree with The Sean, and agree with The Jono. Especially the Jono part, though I assure you it's every bit as hilarious in mid-afternoon.
Cough, cough.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
his top five will be this i think......not in any order

Sachin
Murali
Brian Lara
MacGrath
Ponting
Tendulkar, Lara and McGrath will all be high.

It will be interesting to see where he rates Murali. Mark Waugh will probably be higher on his list then most peoples, I suspect Junior to be ahead of SWaugh.

Lehmann will be up high as well. I wonder where Peitersen will be too..