• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW English Meet-Up

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
haha yeah, well i'd be free at a weekend or evening, wouldst be no trouble at all, pothas could be available as well given a period of notice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I think it's about 2 weeks' time, so get him onto here to confirm.

And hopefully I'll see you on MSN sometime between Craigos' arrival and his departure...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
righto, drop an email if i'm not on here in the time scale, i check it at work most days, but time retrictions dont always allow for me to drop in here.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
That's where i'm getting my info from itbt. :cool:
Yeah, the only thing people listen to in PSE is the ***, drugs and alcohol bits. Rest of it is a waste of time.

Richard curiously quiet about the laws here, especially strange given how vocal he was half an hour back...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Umm...
Nope. You can take it without anyone's knowledge.

However, if you buy it, you're comitting an offence (and so is the person selling it to you), and if someone knowingly supplies it to you, they're comitting an offence, and if you attempt to get someone to supply you with it, you're comitting an offence.

However, by actually ingesting intoxicating drinks, you're not comitting an offence.

The law is complex, and some might say crazy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because you can... you just can't have the stuff bought for you.

You can drink at someone else's house as well, there doesn't even have to be supervision. I went to several parties back in ' day where people were taken to hospital after overdoing it and no-one ever prosecuted anyone, despite the drinkers being underage. This was before I took my qualification even.

The only thing that is illegal is adults supplying minors with alcohol.

Also, many people are unaware of the particulars of the law. You get all sorts of kids coming in my shop who clearly don't have a clue they're putting themselves up for prosecution by trying to buy the stuff before their 18th birthday.

Jungle Jumbo

Because you can... you just can't have the stuff bought for you.

You can drink at someone else's house as well, there doesn't even have to be supervision. I went to several parties back in ' day where people were taken to hospital after overdoing it and no-one ever prosecuted anyone, despite the drinkers being underage.

The only thing that is illegal is adults supplying minors with alcohol.

Also, many people are unaware of the particulars of the law. You get all sorts of kids coming in my shop who clearly don't have a clue they're putting themselves up for prosecution by trying to buy the stuff before their 18th birthday.
OK, thanks for clearing that up then.

*looks for bottle opener again*

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This seems to me to have been a bit of a storm in a teacup... and I appear to have come accross as a little Marc-esque. :) Hope you don't think I was being nasty in any way.

Jungle Jumbo

This seems to me to have been a bit of a storm in a teacup... and I appear to have come accross as a little Marc-esque. :) Hope you don't think I was being nasty in any way.
Not really, I was genuinely interested in what I had done wrong. Seems strange that what we are taught and what the law says appear to be different.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't know exactly what you've been taught. It's unlikely that anyone would have told you anything that was specifically wrong, but as I say - the law is a very complex one and I doubt anyone'd bother taking a load of 14-year-olds through every particular. Not a case of telling you wrong things but more giving only two thirds of the truth (or something).

You haven't done anything wrong, BTW. No matter what any govornment may try to do, it is never, ever going to put a stop to those under the age of 18 drinking. And despite having to work daily to ensure the law is enforced or face very large penalties, I personally think 14-year-olds, never mind 16-year-olds, can enjoy alcohol every bit as safely as 22-year-olds, and are more than capable of being responsible if they're responsible people.

I know I was, for instance.

Swervy

International Captain
so is it illegal to give your child between the ages of 5 and 18 alcohol?

The government website states:
It is illegal to give an alcoholic drink to a child under five except under medical supervision in an emergency.

The implication of that is that it is legal to give an alcoholic drink to a child of age 5 and over!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't know how many ads you've not been hearing warning parents not to do precisely that, then, because they've been absolutely everywhere in this part of the country of late.

Swervy

International Captain
I don't know how many ads you've not been hearing warning parents not to do precisely that, then, because they've been absolutely everywhere in this part of the country of late.
whether there are warnings or not is irrelevent. Of course it is not advisable to give your child alcohol, however the question is, is it illegal?

I see plenty of ads warning against smoking ciggies, but it is still legal to do so!!!

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, just got back from a highly intense net session lasting from 9-10.30pm. Pretty knackered atm, seems weird that I'll be leaving my house in 8 hours time...

And Richard...:nono:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
whether there are warnings or not is irrelevent. Of course it is not advisable to give your child alcohol, however the question is, is it illegal?

I see plenty of ads warning against smoking ciggies, but it is still legal to do so!!!
These warnings state it is illegal... and even if they didn't I know full well it is because I've had to learn about the thing.

How unutterably lame would it be to have ads stating "buying your child alcohol is not a good idea, because little children shouldn't be having alcohol"? There'd be no point if it wasn't illegal.