• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW English Meet-Up

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
On a related note, well done on exposing CW to the possibility of being sued for millions... not to mention the chance of a fixed penalty notice for yourself of £5000...
There is no mention of me drinking any alcohol whatsoever off private premises, though, which when I last looked, was perfectly legal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How familiar are you (and Jamee) with the law?

Have you taken qualifications pertaining to it?

What you just admitted to is illegal.

Jungle Jumbo

How familiar are you (and Jamee) with the law?

Have you taken qualifications pertaining to it?

What you just admitted to is illegal.
WTF? AFAIK you can consume alcohol on private premises when you're 16, and I can't see there being any laws about discussing it on the internet either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're right about one part, but nonetheless, you have admitted to breaking the law simply by mentioning the fact that people have supplied you with alcohol given that you have not yet celebrated your 18th birthday.

And remember the bit in the forum rules about illegal activities...

(I'm just messing with you, BTW - we all know there's no chance at all of anything happening, and we also know that virtually everyone has been the same ;) I certainly was)

Jungle Jumbo

You're right about one part, but nonetheless, you have admitted to breaking the law simply by mentioning the fact that people have supplied you with alcohol given that you have not yet celebrated your 18th birthday.
Er... not sure I completely understand. With family? So if my Dad gives me a beer now, that is illegal?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Er... not sure I completely understand. With family? So if my Dad gives me a beer now, that is illegal?
Certainly is.

He's open for prosecution, you're open for prosecution if people can make it look like you nagged him into it, and the maximum fine is £5000, though a fixed penalty notice of £80 is the far more likely outcome.

Doesn't matter if those concerned are family or not, BTW.

Jungle Jumbo

Certainly is.

He's open for prosecution, you're open for prosecution if people can make it look like you nagged him into it, and the maximum fine is £5000, though a fixed penalty notice of £80 is the far more likely outcome.

Doesn't matter if those concerned are family or not, BTW.
So how can you drink before you're 18 then? Surely someone has to supply, whatever age you are?

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The law is, you can drink alcohol in your own home from the age of 5. Family houses with parents consent falls under the same thing.

You can also drink from somewhere like 16 in a pub so long as it's with a meal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So how can you drink before you're 18 then? Surely someone has to supply, whatever age you are?
Nope. You can take it without anyone's knowledge.

However, if you buy it, you're comitting an offence (and so is the person selling it to you), and if someone knowingly supplies it to you, they're comitting an offence, and if you attempt to get someone to supply you with it, you're comitting an offence.

However, by actually ingesting intoxicating drinks, you're not comitting an offence.

The law is complex, and some might say crazy.

Nishant

International 12th Man
well....u could be walking home from school one day and see a half empty can on the side of the pavement. You then pick it up urself and drink to see what it is and then realise that its beer. Then u realsie that this sort of thing happens everyday.

(im just in one of those moods....sorry! :) )

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
My knowledge of the law (which is pretty much what we've been taught in PSE :p) is in total agreement with Mat and George.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well me and Craigos are around for some time, and I daresay we could arrange a convoy to Southampton, Kingsclere or anywhere around those parts if a meetup of some type was in the offing.