• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
It was more the high-calibre away-swinger, though. And knowing Karthik it's very possible he'd have driven that had no-one said so much as a word to him.
It wasn't that good a ball tbh. Yeah, it swung but it started pretty wide and therefore Karthik should have seen this and adjusted by leaving the ball.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think part of that dismissal was people getting in Karthik's head....that's the advantage you get when you sledge someone. Good for England.
He played a similar shot earlier hitting it. So it was wrong shot selection for me given the swinging conditions, Karthik is pretty new at the crease for today.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It wasn't that good a ball tbh. Yeah, it swung but it started pretty wide and therefore Karthik should have seen this and adjusted by leaving the ball.
Doesn't work like that, once you've decided to play a stroke it's almost impossible to bail-out, especially when the swing's late. Full credit to Anderson for suckering him into the stroke.

It wasn't a RUD, but it was a damn fine ball that categorically deserved the wicket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It was more the high-calibre away-swinger, though. And knowing Karthik it's very possible he'd have driven that had no-one said so much as a word to him.
It was a decent nut, but he given it started pretty wide of off-stump and was always going away, there was no need to play it. Furthermore, it wasn't so much just the fact that he chose to play that shot to that ball, but the way he did - the shot itself was dire.. no footwork and a wristy slash through the off side.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It wasn't a RUD, but it was a damn fine ball that categorically deserved the wicket.

I disagree really. A test opening batsman should not get out to that ball playing the shot like he did. If he moved his feet across and tried to play through the line rather than wafting his wrists out there and he still got out to it - fair enough. But the way he played it was quite dire, and I don't think the ball started close enough in to him to really "deserve" a wicket.

And this is coming from a big fan of Anderson AND Karthik, it must be noted.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Slighty off topic but seeing how SS has decided to have great bowlers in his avatar I've decided that I'll have a great batsmen in my avatar every week starting Monday. :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
He should have maybe, but batsmen play (and middle) such balls often enough. Very good bowling IMO.
I wouldn't really say it was that good a ball that it deserved a wicket. A good test batsman, even if he decides to hit such a ball, should be able to meddle it. Disagree with you on this.

Last edited: