• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

sideshowtim

Banned
It's absolutely ludicrous that Murali is even mentioned in the same breath as these 2 cricketing legends.
Let's see what the cricketing experts think. Wisden Cricketers of the century:

1. Sir Donald Bradman 100
2. Sir Garfield Sobers 90
3. Sir Jack Hobbs 30
4. Shane Warne 27
5. Sir Viv Richards 25

Murali isn't even in the Top 10, in fact I doubt he even got a single vote. And this was made a mere 7 years into Warne's career. Since then his legend, prowess and ability has grown.

open365

International Vice-Captain
It's absolutely ludicrous that Murali is even mentioned in the same breath as these 2 cricketing legends.
How is it ludicrous?

I understand you may be biased against because of his questionable action(which i don't think anybody on this board wishes to discuss further) but surely you can't ignore just how good his record is?

Muralia is a wicket taking machine, and however many reasons you give against him it doesn't change the fact that over the modern era Murali has made more of a difference to his side than any other player has to there's.

open365

3. Sir Jack Hobbs 30
4. Shane Warne 27
5. Sir Viv Richards 25

Murali isn't even in the Top 10, in fact I doubt he even got a single vote. And this was made a mere 7 years into Warne's career. Since then his legend, prowess and ability has grown.
If we all agreed with what the cricketing 'experts' said there would be no point in this forum would there?

sideshowtim

Banned
How is it ludicrous?

I understand you may be biased against because of his questionable action(which i don't think anybody on this board wishes to discuss further) but surely you can't ignore just how good his record is?

Muralia is a wicket taking machine, and however many reasons you give against him it doesn't change the fact that over the modern era Murali has made more of a difference to his side than any other player has to there's.
His record is good indeed. But it doesn't deviate from other "good" records of the time. How can one be considered an immortal of the game when so many have achieved the exact same as you? Bradman and Sobers accomplished things that no others have. That is why Murali doesn't deserve to be in their league.

And yes, Murali has made a difference to his side, but not big enough to establish his side as a genuine Test threat at ANY time during his tenure.

sideshowtim

Banned
No, but I was just showing the opinions of those who are in the know and better informed than you an I. I don't think Murali even recieved 1 single vote during that ballot.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

3. Sir Jack Hobbs 30
4. Shane Warne 27
5. Sir Viv Richards 25
That poll was conducted at the turn of the century when Murali had only started to come into his own. If you think Warne can be mentioned in the same breath as those cricketers, surely you cannot suggest it is ludicrous to mention Murali similarly.

open365

His record is good indeed. But it doesn't deviate from other "good" records of the time. How can one be considered an immortal of the game when so many have achieved the exact same as you? Bradman and Sobers accomplished things that no others have. That is why Murali doesn't deserve to be in their league.

And yes, Murali has made a difference to his side, but not big enough to establish his side as a genuine Test threat at ANY time during his tenure.
Aside of the main argument, but Gary Sobers record is only marginaly different than Jaques Kallis', Kallis averaging two less with the bat but Sobers averaging two more with the ball.

Obviously i'm not trying to argue here that Kallis is a better cricketer than Sobers, the point i'm making is that bar Bradman, most other cricketers records can be matched of bettered by players that wouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as them.

open365

Exactly, there's not much point in saying the experts know better than us because they disagree aswell.

sideshowtim

Banned
I take the opinion of 100 specially chosen panel members of that of Steve Waugh...Murali and Bradman should never be mentioned together.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Cleaning the tail is Murali's forte. It's just that Murali takes more TOP ORDER wickets because he gets more OPPORTUNITIES to take top order wickets than Warne did. And that is why his percentage of tail-end wickets is lower than Warne's. Would be interesting to see just how many tail-end wickets they have each taken comparably. Can you post those stats please?
Sure:

Warne: 263
Murali: 223

Thanks for playing. Do try again.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Per test:

Warne: 1.8 per test
Murali: 1.97 per test

Thanks for playing. Do try again.
Um, but thats because he takes more wickets overall.....top and bottom order both. In real terms, and in percentage terms, Warne relies on the bottom order for his average more than Murali.