• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say it without the :ph34r:. It's absolutely true. The ball is swinging and bouncing a bit, and the bowling is accurate, but its certainly shouldn't be 191-7. It's a perfectly fine pitch.
Not for me, the ball has been swinging prodigiously coming on 80 overs old. The Indians haven't helped themselves by going into their shell but as I said yesterday I thought England’s total regardless of the collapse was more than decent for there has been movement all game.

Fantastic effort from Anderson and co. though, top effort.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh dear the much vaunted Indian batting line up bowled out for 201 by England's second string.
It's possible but I find it hard to believe the English front line could have bowled all that much better TBH. Every bowler was accurate in virtually all their spells, some good good bounce, others got good swing, etc. It was a pretty good performance as a unit.

chalky

International Debutant
It's possible but I find it hard to believe the English front line could have bowled all that much better TBH. Every bowler was accurate in virtually all their spells, some good good bounce, others got good swing, etc. It was a pretty good performance as a unit.
I agree thought England bowled very well. My comment was more in response to some prdictions, even before Flintoff & Hoggard were injured, that England would struggle to bowl out India for under 600 and batsmen dominated draws would be the norm. I thought a lot of people were over estimating the Indian batting especially away from home & with Dravid in a bit of slump. I mean did people not wtach the India V South Africa series.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Very, very early days & he does have conditions and a pitch he'd probably like to carry around with him, but it is nice to see Anderson hitting his straps again. He must go down as Cooley's biggest failure as our bowling coach as his attempts to remodel his action basically neutered him as a test match bowler for the best part of three years. I'm hoping AD will prove more sympathetic to him.

tooextracool

International Coach
Not for me, the ball has been swinging prodigiously coming on 80 overs old. The Indians haven't helped themselves by going into their shell but as I said yesterday I thought England’s total regardless of the collapse was more than decent for there has been movement all game.

Fantastic effort from Anderson and co. though, top effort.
not sure what the ball swinging conventionally has to do with the pitch. IMO the only person to criticize for that would be the ball manufacturers. Not sure why you'd not want to see this sort of movement all game though, because it is a throwback to the old days, and it goes to show how many top class players struggle to play the swinging ball when given the opportunity to do so.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not sure why you'd not want to see this sort of movement all game though, because it is a throwback to the old days, and it goes to show how many top class players struggle to play the swinging ball when given the opportunity to do so.
Yeah, agree there. It's nice to see a proper contest between bat & ball rather than batsmen having it all their own way. Strauss, Vaughan & Jaffer have shown you can score runs on this pitch if you knuckle down.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It can't be long before Cook starts missing a few of those shots and his tendency to play that stroke is revealed as a weakness.

adharcric

International Coach
Yeah, agree there. It's nice to see a proper contest between bat & ball rather than batsmen having it all their own way. Strauss, Vaughan & Jaffer have shown you can score runs on this pitch if you knuckle down.
Strauss and Vaughan didn't really have to work too hard TBH. The Indian seamers were dire while they were in.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I don't think anybody would have predicted this scenario 24 hours ago. Mind you if India's bowlers had turned up on Day 1 England might not have got as much as 298. India can't waste the new ball this time. About England's bowling. In one sense a pleasnt surprise but if you go back to 2005 Anderson and Tremlett were the only two seamers in the squads for the Ashes apart from the big four. People say we picked Mahmood and Plunlett too soon - which was true - but if Anderson and Tremlett had stayed fit since 2005 they would have replaced the injured members of the Ashes attack and Plunkett and Mahmood might never have played. In effect we've got our first choice reserve bowlers back. (and remember how well Anderson bowled in the 3rd Test in india)