• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It bounced up into the top of his gloves. Of course he knew.... and he doesn't usually appeal that demonstratively. Dodgy as. The sooner this sort of thing is stamped out of the game the better so it needs to be said
I think he probably knew, but we can't know for sure. All the commentators said he probably didn't know based on where his eyes were.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Just watching the replay now. Blatant piece of cheating by Dhoni to try to claim that catch off Pietersen imo. Why do players even try this on with the amount of cameras around these days?
It bounced up into the top of his gloves. Of course he knew.... and he doesn't usually appeal that demonstratively. Dodgy as. The sooner this sort of thing is stamped out of the game the better so it needs to be said
Calm down. There is no way to establish that a player knew it bounced in most of such circumstances. In many occassions, they do not know.

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
Calm down. There is no way to establish that a player knew it bounced in most of such circumstances. In many occassions, they do not know.
Why do they claim it rather than say they are not sure and let the camera and umpire do their job? I stand by my comment... he knew he hadn't caught it, he would have felt it hit the top of his glove on the half-volley. You know whether you have caught it or not 99.99% of the time. Players need to be start letting the umpires do their job. Same thing happened in Murali in the WC semi with the Oram catch. I'll say it again... it's cheating.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You cannot know 100% whether the ball bumped in such scenarios. Many times, players think they caught it cleanly and appeal. Too call some one a cheat for that is plain ridiculous. You may as well start calling all bowlers cheats too then because all bowlers appeal for lbws where they think it is out.

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
You cannot know 100% whether the ball bumped in such scenarios. Many times, players think they caught it cleanly and appeal. Too call some one a cheat for that is plain ridiculous. You may as well start calling all bowlers cheats too then because all bowlers appeal for lbws where they think it is out.
Disagree. As I said, I've played cricket for long enough to know you do know whether or not you have caught it and if there is any doubt you should tell the umpire to have a look

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You cannot know whether it bumped or not in many of such circumstances. You just think it went in neatly and think you have caught it cleanly.

iamdavid

International Debutant
As with England's keeping situation. They've just picked the wrong person again. Jones was a decent batsmen , and his keeping improved , but he never had , or probably never will have the talent to become a international class keeper. Chris Read did his best , but he doesn't have the batting strength to get himself in there. And Prior , well , I haven't seen much of him outside the internationals this summer , but I remember one person on here saying that hes a weaker keeper than Jones and a weeker batsmen that Read. To be honest I think there is the keeper out there , but we've just got to pick the right one. I think Paul Nixon would have been the best option. OK he hasn't got age on his side, but hes a very solid keeper , and he can bat when he wants to. Although if it was my decision , I would have gone for Nic Pothas. Probably the best "English" (Has he passed yet?) bastmen , who can keep , which in the situation is probably the best thing , considering we don't have a pure keeper batsmen (who does?).

From what I've seen/read/heard over the last few years I really dont think there is a huge gap in ability with either gloves or bat between Jones/Read/Nixon/Prior/Pothas/Ambrose and possibly even Davies, Wallace, Mustard and Foster. But somebody has to do the job, its just going to be a matter of picking somebody and sticking by him hoping he will grow into the role, and Peter Moores obviously believes Prior is the man most likely to suceed, hopefully he backs that judgement and Prior gets an extended run in the side to prove him right.
Continually chopping and changing is not going to get them anywhere.
Prior is one of the younger contenders, his FC batting record is very impressive for a keeper everybit as impressive as that of Pothas I believe (plus he's a alot younger), he looks to have good fundamentals with the gloves and he has the right attitude, I say stick with him, there will be times when he dissapoints early in his carear (this has been true of every test keeper I can recall with possible exception of Gilchrist) but nobody can be sure of themselves when saying one of the other guys will be any better.

chalky

International Debutant
After bemoaning the lack quality of the test cricket a lot this summer thought yesterdays play was excellent (to an extent apart from Englands batting). But the cricket during the India innings was outstanding. The control and accuracy the England quick bowling as a unit was probably the best I've seen in a long while and the resistance of Jafer, Tendulker & Ganguly really made for enthralling cricket despite the fact that the run rate was quite low by modern standards.

I thought Tremlett was very good yesterday, as was said by the comentators, he has a very repetative action ( much more tha Harmisson although that is not saying a great deal) allowing him to be quite accurate. His last spell especially was almoast Mcgrath like starting outside off stump to Jaffer bowling lots of Maidens then gradually moving closer to the off stump until the batsmen starved of runs makes a mistake.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nonetheless (and this is mostly @ David Lewis) how many chances has he actually missed? :huh:
Sorry, I was elsewhere when you posted that. Thankfully that's been answered by someone else now, and I suppose it comes down to whether you think that number is acceptable. I don't, but others will no doubt disagree. I'm afraid I certainly don't buy Neil's argument along the lines of "you try catching the thing when you've got half of a second to react", or however he phrased it. afaics that's part of his job description, and if he ain't up to it ....

pasag

RTDAS
Upset I missed yesterday's play but sat through the first day's dross. Anyways my 0-0 challenge with Pratyush isn't looking that flash from my perspective anymore. Oh and bloody Foxtel.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nice in-swinger from Jimmy, but extremely ordinary footwork from Ganguly. Was in no sort of position to play a shot & left huge gap for the ball to come back through.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
India wobbling here now, half centuries needed from Laxman AND Dhoni in order to get a lead.