• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't know...but I tend to think that people are being a touch harsh on the Prior drop. It was one of those ones where he had to react quickly as the nick went quite fast. IMO it's one of those catches that either stick or doesn't and that you wouldn't have enough time to go at it with two hands.
No, but he got a full hand on it and once you do that as a wicketkeeper you should catch it. For me, Jaffer did receive a let-off there, and a potentially crucial one, as David said.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, wtf ?. I honestly don't what the hell he's done to be given that tag. He's got a very good county record and he's just playing his 1st test and bowled very economically and well. I sometimes don't understand your logic to dismiss a player so ruthlessly like that. It's obvious that that's what Plunkett and Mahmood are but to say that about Tremlett when he's bowled well in his 1st test is well....quite baffling tbh.
He's bowled OK, sure, but I've never rated him and to date his ODI career has panned-out exactly as I'd expected. Someone called Mascarenhas a Rose Bowl bully but IMO it fits Tremlett far more. I've never seen him do much with the ball and almost all the fascination with him seems to surround his height, which as I say is no great asset in itself, it needs to be augmented. Tremlett, too, lacks accuracy, if not to the same awful extent as someone like Plunkett.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
He's bowled OK, sure, but I've never rated him and to date his ODI career has panned-out exactly as I'd expected. Someone called Mascarenhas a Rose Bowl bully but IMO it fits Tremlett far more. I've never seen him do much with the ball and almost all the fascination with him seems to surround his height, which as I say is no great asset in itself, it needs to be augmented. Tremlett, too, lacks accuracy, if not to the same awful extent as someone like Plunkett.
Thing is...just because you don't rate him don't mean that he ain't good. I also seem to remember seeing you say that height was of great advantage to a bowler as it makes drivable balls turned into good balls. Your completely contradicting yourself by saying that his height "is no great asset in itself". :huh:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I also seem to remember seeing you say that height was of great advantage to a bowler as it makes drivable balls turned into good balls. Your completely contradicting yourself by saying that his height "is no great asset in itself". :huh:
No he isn't. He's doing the complete opposite. It's one of those odd little nuances of the English language.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thing is...just because you don't rate him don't mean that he ain't good. I also seem to remember seeing you say that height was of great advantage to a bowler as it makes drivable balls turned into good balls. Your completely contradicting yourself by saying that his height "is no great asset in itself". :huh:
Let me clarify. Height is a great asset where bowling economically is concerned. It's no great use in itself as a wicket-taking weapon. And obviously, without accuracy you're not going to bowl economically. So height in itself is no great asset - you need the accuracy to make use of it.

Tremlett does not possess it.

And that's why I don't rate him as that good.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Where was this James Anderson in the Ashes?. Its either he lost his mojo & is getting it back or likes to bowl againts India, either way i'll wait until the series is over before i can be certain.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Where was this James Anderson in the Ashes?. Its either he lost his mojo & is getting it back or likes to bowl againts India, either way i'll wait until the series is over before i can be certain.
Seeing as he'd just come back having fractured his spine and had no match practice for about 9 months or any proof that he was fit at all, I'm guessing "none of the above."

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
It was a pretty poor drop. People on here, and in the press , slated Jones for much , much harder chances. And people seemed to have glossed over this one. That was easy. C'mon , your telling me that you think it was a difficult chance. For an International keeper (Remember this makes him , supposedly , the best keeper in England) , and he dropped that.

I would have backed myself to catch that one. And its not the first chance hes shelled this summer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not the first, no, but nor is it the 10th. He's clearly done far better so far than Jones did in his first forays in the summer of 2004.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think it was the first one Prior has dropped this summer. If not please shine me on the others if it has been that much?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's definately been a couple of others (none of which have yet proven remotely expensive) but not anywhere near as some seem to be suggesting.

It's like, to some people, there is an instinctive refusal to accept that someone who can score runs can possibly also be a good wicketkeeper. :wacko: