• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yea it's fairly subtle, this isn't just my theory a few ex-players like Boycott have said it a few times.
Boycs was talking about it today, after Prior dropped Jaffer - which is looking an absolutely crucial miss. It's not just the runs that Jaffer made: by missing that chance, Prior made it so much harder for us to get among India's middle order with the new ball. How many chances has me missed already this summer? I really can't stomach the sight of another England keeper who can't catch for toffee, and I'm already beginning to hate Moores for bringing him ino the side, even if he was able to slog what passes for the WI attack all over Lord's.

England's batting today reinforces what a few of us were saying about our top 3 getting themselves out on Thursday. You really have to cash in if you get the chance, and our guys still don't seem to understand that. Obviously the Indians bowled so much better today, but that was always a possibility. If we'd finished Day 1 with only a couple of wickets down, which should have been the case, then we could have seen off the new ball to set up something over 450. Instead, we're in trouble.

How did Tremlett bowl? I heard a comment about him being tidy but unthreatening, which is half of what I was expecting ( I wasn't expecting him to be economical, tbh).

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
1st Day: Advantage England
2rd day: Advantage India
3rd day: Deuce
4th Day: Advantage England
5th Day: Game England

My Prediction

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
Prior made it so much harder for us to get among India's middle order with the new ball. How many chances has me missed already this summer? I really can't stomach the sight of another England keeper who can't catch for toffee, and I'm already beginning to hate Moores for bringing him ino the side, even if he was able to slog what passes for the WI attack all over Lord's.
Exactly what I've been saying. The one he dropped , was a very easy catch. And its not the first one. The Indian attack will find him out pretty quickly , and the sooner he is out of the side the better.

As with England's keeping situation. They've just picked the wrong person again. Jones was a decent batsmen , and his keeping improved , but he never had , or probably never will have the talent to become a international class keeper. Chris Read did his best , but he doesn't have the batting strength to get himself in there. And Prior , well , I haven't seen much of him outside the internationals this summer , but I remember one person on here saying that hes a weaker keeper than Jones and a weeker batsmen that Read. To be honest I think there is the keeper out there , but we've just got to pick the right one. I think Paul Nixon would have been the best option. OK he hasn't got age on his side, but hes a very solid keeper , and he can bat when he wants to. Although if it was my decision , I would have gone for Nic Pothas. Probably the best "English" (Has he passed yet?) bastmen , who can keep , which in the situation is probably the best thing , considering we don't have a pure keeper batsmen (who does?).

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly what I've been saying. The one he dropped , was a very easy catch. And its not the first one. The Indian attack will find him out pretty quickly , and the sooner he is out of the side the better.

You must have been watching another test match if you thought that catch was "very easy".

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
You must have been watching another test match if you thought that catch was "very easy".
For a professional cricketer , it was. And he made it look much harder than it should have been. You don't got at those one handed , and you shouldn't have to dive for it either.

If Jones had dropped that , people would have been all over him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I watched most of that innings and the batsmen didn't look uncomfortable against him and I can't remember him producing any chances, they struggled to get him away and that was due to his great accuracy. Just didn't look like finding the edge or taking a wicket.
Meh, he looked very much like finding both outside and inside edges to me.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Most - nay, all - top-shelf players aren't overtly worried just by a bit of bounce.
I don't particulary imagine Tendulkar and Ganguly like it. From what I saw today Tendulkar didn't play Tremlett very well and was struggling with the extra bounce he gets having been brought up on low, slow pitches.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For a professional cricketer , it was. And he made it look much harder than it should have been. You don't got at those one handed , and you shouldn't have to dive for it either.

If Jones had dropped that , people would have been all over him.
Exactly - because Jones didn't (after his first few games) score many runs. Prior has. So he earns himself a bit of leeway.

The chance wasn't easy, BTW, Liam, but it was certainly something that should be caught.

Nonetheless (and this is mostly @ David Lewis) how many chances has he actually missed? :huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't particulary imagine Tendulkar and Ganguly like it. From what I saw today Tendulkar didn't play Tremlett very well and was struggling with the extra bounce he gets having been brought up on low, slow pitches.
Didn't get him out, though, did it? And it rarely does, just makes him(\them) look a bit uncomfortable.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
The chance wasn't easy, BTW, Liam, but it was certainly something that should be caught.
I don't know...but I tend to think that people are being a touch harsh on the Prior drop. It was one of those ones where he had to react quickly as the nick went quite fast. IMO it's one of those catches that either stick or doesn't and that you wouldn't have enough time to go at it with two hands.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't like him (as a bowler) because he's crap, TBH.
Haha, wtf ?. I honestly don't what the hell he's done to be given that tag. He's got a very good county record and he's just playing his 1st test and bowled very economically and well. I sometimes don't understand your logic to dismiss a player so ruthlessly like that. It's obvious that that's what Plunkett and Mahmood are but to say that about Tremlett when he's bowled well in his 1st test is well....quite baffling tbh.

Last edited: