• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He usually does though, six centuries in 18 matches is hardly a poor conversion rate.
I was thinking specifically about this summer. I know he made one hundred against WI, but if he was all that he's sometimes cracked up to be, he'd have really filled his boots.

EDIT
OK it turns out he made two tons against WI ...

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was thinking specifically about this summer. I know he made one hundred against WI, but if he was all that he's sometimes cracked up to be, he'd have really filled his boots.
He made two centuries and two half centuries, only really failed in that last Test.

Scaly piscine

For those thinking I'm being harsh on Cook, he was lbw Gayle 42 on the first day at Headingley and lbw Gayle 106 at Manchester.

Perm

Yes, I wasn't saying he failed, simply that he didn't fully capitalise on his starts.
He capitalised on his start by getting a century, but I do agree that he really should've pushed on to make a big one, his high score after scoring six hundreds isn't particularly impressive.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Meanwhile on TMS, there's been some good comments by Boycs about the Broad/Tremlett issue. His point, which I'd completely echo, is that he can cope with disagreeing with selectors as long as he can see some sort of logic. I suppose the Giles/Panesar selection in the Ashes is a case in point. With Broad today, though, what exactly is the thinking in leaving him out for a similar type of bowler who wasn't originally in the squad? Baffling.

Perm

Maybe he loses concentration. He is hardly perfect.
Indeed, but Test class opening batsmen shouldn't lose their concentration when facing a gentle spinner, especially after they've made a century. It does happen sometimes, but it happens too often for scaly piscine's liking by the sounds of it.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
India starting to peg it back as Zaheer finds his line and length and Ganguly probes outside that off stump.

Scaly piscine

Criticising a batsman after scoring 106 is a bit over the top IMO
That's not the point I was making, but anyway you're not suddenly untouchable because you've got a century on the board - suppose that's why only Collingwood is the only one to score a double century for England over past however many years. He keeps going because he has a better temperament and attitude.

Cook should not be getting out to nothing bowling as much as he has, particularly when he's in. Much more and it'll be Rob Key-esque

Perm

Meanwhile on TMS, there's been some good comments by Boycs about the Broad/Tremlett issue. His point, which I'd completely echo, is that he can cope with disagreeing with selectors as long as he can see some sort of logic. I suppose the Giles/Panesar selection in the Ashes is a case in point. With Broad today, though, what exactly is the thinking in leaving him out for a similar type of bowler who wasn't originally in the squad? Baffling.
Papa Broad obviously wasn't doing Moores enough favours :naughty:

Perm

That's not the point I was making, but anyway you're not suddenly untouchable because you've got a century on the board - suppose that's why only Collingwood is the only one to score a double century for England over past however many years.

Cook should not be getting out to nothing bowling as much as he has, particularly when he's in. Much more and it'll be Rob Key-esque
Pietersen, Key, Trescothick.