• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The England squad for the 1st has been announced...

Michael Vaughan (c)
James Anderson
Ian Bell
Stuart Broad
Alastair Cook
Paul Collingwood
Steve Harmison
Matthew Hoggard
Monty Panesar
Kevin Pietersen
Matt Prior (wkt)
Ryan Sidebottom
Andrew Strauss

No too sure why Broad's in there tbh. I would actually like a bowler to be in form when selected. Silverwood wouldn't have been a bad choice tbh and I'd have liked to have seen him in there.
TBF Broad has held his hand up in the "Lions" (8-)) fixture. 4/66 off 19 overs & a 50 is useful form, especially given the length of our tail.

EDIT: Ended up with a five-for with Dhoni having a slog.

Must be pretty close to last-chance saloon for Strauss. If he fails again I reckon we could see Vaughan back opening by the end of the summer.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone want to think up an avatar challenge for me in regards to my favourite players in this series? Ian Bell, Paul Collingwood, Matthew Hoggard, Sourav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid.
I'll happily take you on on Bell to score more chanceless runs than Collingwood. Other thread, though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Lions" (8-))
Miracle has happened, I think - I agree with DB's disdain for something fairly trivial. :p
Must be pretty close to last-chance saloon for Strauss. If he fails again I reckon we could see Vaughan back opening by the end of the summer.
I hope and pray that if Strauss is dropped, it doesn't mean Vaughan opens.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I hope and pray that if Strauss is dropped, it doesn't mean Vaughan opens.
Not saying it should happen, but I think Shah would be likely to be given another go if Strauss's services are dispensed with, so that means either MPV or possibly even Bell would be opening.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kumble relied on uneven bounce, not spin. A pitch can have uneven bounce and not support much spin. On the other hand, a pitch can support spin and not have uneven bounce. Utilising uneven bounce is not related to utilising turn which a pitch offers.
No, indeed. However, for a bowler who spins the ball (which Kumble does - just not all that often using sidespin) uneven bounce + spin is better than uneven bounce with no spin or spin with no uneven bounce.

I don't agree that a spin-receptive pitch makes no difference to Kumble, as I say. He is a bowler whose stock-ball is the topspinner, but who varies the amount and sometimes bowls Leg-Breaks and Googlies. Hence, on a spinning pitch he's going to be more of a handful than a non-spinning pitch. And he is going to be a handful even on a spinning pitch of true bounce.
His performances in last 4-5 years prove you wrong. We would mean normal pitches though, not flat tracks where almost no one usually performs.
That's the whole thing of a flat track, though, that almost no-one usually performs. If we take the start of Kumble's renaissance as that famous SCG game where he took 12-279, here are the games that stand-out:
8-172 at Multan - very flat pitch, of course, I don't really remember much of the Pakistan innings though
5-71 at 'pindi - same thing, really
13-181 at Chennai - super-spin pitch, of course
6-95 at Mumbai - same thing, even better in fact
10-161 at Kolkata - not sure about that one
Entire series vs SL in 2005\06 - again, not really sure here but I'd guess there was something in all the tracks for spin?
9-146 at Mohali - pitch had something in it for all bowlers, but remained true in bounce
7-110 at Sabina Park - very bowler-friendly pitch in many ways
5-56 at Wanderers - likewise
4-99 at Kingsmead - not quite so, but there was still something in it for most bowlers
And in between these times there are some flatter ones where he's been less of a stand-out. As I say - this is undoubtedly better than he once was, but still, perhaps, not quite as good as might be supposed IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not saying it should happen, but I think Shah would be likely to be given another go if Strauss's services are dispensed with, so that means either MPV or possibly even Bell would be opening.
And the idea of Bell at the top makes me cringe even more than Vaughan.

Didn't think you were saying it should happen, BTW, but I'd hope that in the event of Strauss slinging his hook, a Trescothick return would be the outcome.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No, indeed. However, for a bowler who spins the ball (which Kumble does - just not all that often using sidespin) uneven bounce + spin is better than uneven bounce with no spin or spin with no uneven bounce.

I don't agree that a spin-receptive pitch makes no difference to Kumble, as I say. He is a bowler whose stock-ball is the topspinner, but who varies the amount and sometimes bowls Leg-Breaks and Googlies. Hence, on a spinning pitch he's going to be more of a handful than a non-spinning pitch. And he is going to be a handful even on a spinning pitch of true bounce.
The point is, Kumble doesnt need a spin wicket to be effective. You said he is ineffective without spinning tracks. So whether he is far more effective on x or y or z is irrelevent.

That's the whole thing of a flat track, though, that almost no-one usually performs.
So you will take flat tracks to prove Kumble is ineffective on all tracks except spinning tracks? Gosh.

If we take the start of Kumble's renaissance as that famous SCG game where he took 12-279, here are the games that stand-out:
8-172 at Multan - very flat pitch, of course, I don't really remember much of the Pakistan innings though
5-71 at 'pindi - same thing, really
13-181 at Chennai - super-spin pitch, of course
6-95 at Mumbai - same thing, even better in fact
10-161 at Kolkata - not sure about that one
Entire series vs SL in 2005\06 - again, not really sure here but I'd guess there was something in all the tracks for spin?
9-146 at Mohali - pitch had something in it for all bowlers, but remained true in bounce
7-110 at Sabina Park - very bowler-friendly pitch in many ways
5-56 at Wanderers - likewise
4-99 at Kingsmead - not quite so, but there was still something in it for most bowlers
And in between these times there are some flatter ones where he's been less of a stand-out. As I say - this is undoubtedly better than he once was, but still, perhaps, not quite as good as might be supposed IMO.
Don't do so much pyschoanalysis. Save yourself the trouble. Take all his tests abroad from the Australian series in 2003/04 except Bangladesh, Zimbabwe. He has a good average which means he has done well on tracks not supporting spin abroad at points which proves you wrong.

You took the stand:

Kumble is not an effective wicket taker on pitches which are not receptive to support spin.

Fact is, he is. You have no point.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The point is, Kumble doesnt need a spin wicket to be effective. You said he is ineffective without spinning tracks. So whether he is far more effective on x or y or z is irrelevent.
I didn't, actually, I said he's still often someone who struggles on less spin-receptive or not-uneven wickets. Well, if that wasn't exactly what I said, it was what I meant.
So you will take flat tracks to prove Kumble is ineffective on all tracks except spinning tracks? Gosh.
Well, a pitch either spins or it doesn't... :mellow:
Don't do so much pyschoanalysis. Save yourself the trouble. Take all his tests abroad from the Australian series in 2003/04 except Bangladesh, Zimbabwe. He has a good average which means he has done well on tracks not supporting spin abroad at points which proves you wrong.

You took the stand:

Kumble is not an effective wicket taker on pitches which are not receptive to support spin.

Fact is, he is. You have no point.
I prefer to look at things on a proper, match-by-match, basis, rather than the simplstic view of just looking at an overall record overseas. I never once mentioned countries, I mentioned type of pitch. Just having a (relatively) good average overseas doesn't mean you've bowled well on non-spinning pitches.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I didn't, actually, I said he's still often someone who struggles on less spin-receptive or not-uneven wickets. Well, if that wasn't exactly what I said, it was what I meant.
I can't figure out your inner meanings or your abberations. I am not a super natural being. Debate with clarity or people will assume you are trying to weasel out of points. You never used often and defended it with vigour. Now you try to weasel out by bringing in often.

And even your changed stance doesn't hold good. When you are saying he is often ineffective on non spinning tracks, please prove that he is where other bowlers have also taken wickets. If Kumble is ineffective on non spinning tracks, so is almost every other international bowler by your standards where you will

a) Take into account all flat wickets.
b) Discount wickets where bowlers take wickets.

:laugh:

Well, a pitch either spins or it doesn't... :mellow:
So you will justify your stance of ineffectiveness of a player on non spin tracks on tracks where no one is effective? Again, that is just ridiculous

I prefer to look at things on a proper, match-by-match, basis, rather than the simplstic view of just looking at an overall record overseas. I never once mentioned countries, I mentioned type of pitch. Just having a (relatively) good average overseas doesn't mean you've bowled well on non-spinning pitches.
Then look at match by match properly rather than saying it was a good pitch for bowlers and so he can take wickets there and all. :laugh: A good average abroad would 99% times mean that the spinner has been effective on non spin conditions at times given the countries he played in.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can't figure out your inner meanings or your abberations. I am not a super natural being. Debate with clarity or people will assume you are trying to weasel out of points. You never used often and defended it with vigour. Now you try to weasel out by bringing in often.

And even your changed stance doesn't hold good. When you are saying he is often ineffective on non spinning tracks, please prove that he is where other bowlers have also taken wickets. If Kumble is ineffective on non spinning tracks, so is almost every other international bowler by your standards where you will

a) Take into account all flat wickets.
b) Discount wickets where bowlers take wickets.

:laugh:
It's not a changed stance, really, but anyway... we know what the contention is now, so...

Yes, I'm saying exactly this: "Kumble is ineffective on non spinning tracks, so is almost every other international bowler". I'm not saying he's a poor bowler, certainly not. But I am saying that there are times when other bowlers - seamers - will be a far better bet than him.

And there are wickets which other bowlers have taken decent figures on and he hasn't, several.
So you will justify your stance of ineffectiveness of a player on non spin tracks on tracks where no one is effective? Again, that is just ridiculous
No, not no-one, as I say above.
Then look at match by match properly rather than saying it was a good pitch for bowlers and so he can take wickets there and all. :laugh: A good average abroad would 99% times mean that the spinner has been effective on non spin conditions at times given the countries he played in.
I don't neccessarily believe that to be the case, we've seen spinning pitches in most parts of The World in the last few years. The matches I gave were, as I said, pitches where I'd hope he'd take good figures on. But there were other games, not all on obscenely flat pitches where 600 was the norm, where he didn't take wickets. I'm not for a second saying he's totally incapable of being effective in non-spinning\uneven conditions. I've tried to state that all the way through - that he's better than he used to be, but still well capable of being ineffective.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It's not a changed stance, really, but anyway... we know what the contention is now, so...

Yes, I'm saying exactly this: "Kumble is ineffective on non spinning tracks, so is almost every other international bowler". I'm not saying he's a poor bowler, certainly not. But I am saying that there are times when other bowlers - seamers - will be a far better bet than him.

And there are wickets which other bowlers have taken decent figures on and he hasn't, several.
That is a very normal stance. I have no problem with it which I can see.

I don't neccessarily believe that to be the case, we've seen spinning pitches in most parts of The World in the last few years. The matches I gave were, as I said, pitches where I'd hope he'd take good figures on. But there were other games, not all on obscenely flat pitches where 600 was the norm, where he didn't take wickets. I'm not for a second saying he's totally incapable of being effective in non-spinning\uneven conditions. I've tried to state that all the way through - that he's better than he used to be, but still well capable of being ineffective.
If he averaged well, he did perform well in non spin conditions abroad at least at times. So the earlier ineffective stance which I understood you were taking was my problem. The current stance in the earlier problem, I have no problem with.

Phew. :)

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Well certainly a spin bowler is going to be more effective on spin-friendly pitches just as a swing bowler is going to be more useful in overcast conditions with the new ball. I think the point of contention with Kumble is he doesn't need the spinning pitch as much as other spin bowlers because he doesn't rely as much on pure spin to get his wickets, especially since he hardly spins it.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Well certainly a spin bowler is going to be more effective on spin-friendly pitches just as a swing bowler is going to be more useful in overcast conditions with the new ball. I think the point of contention with Kumble is he doesn't need the spinning pitch as much as other spin bowlers because he doesn't rely as much on pure spin to get his wickets, especially since he hardly spins it.
He does require an up-and-down pitch, though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
u r getting Star Cricket in Mumbai? Isn't CAS implemented there? So is Star Cricket a FTA channel or do u have to get it only through your set top box?

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
u r getting Star Cricket in Mumbai? Isn't CAS implemented there? So is Star Cricket a FTA channel or do u have to get it only through your set top box?
Yeah, I'm in one of the CAS designated areas. I called up my cable operator (InCablenet) and asked them to activate the channel and they did so within 72 hours. I guess they will bill me next time they come, but it'll be just Rs. 5 per month. It isn't FTA.

I think for non-CAS designated areas InCablenet is providing it, probably after coming to some agreement with the distributors.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, I'm in one of the CAS designated areas. I called up my cable operator (InCablenet) and asked them to activate the channel and they did so within 72 hours. I guess they will bill me next time they come, but it'll be just Rs. 5 per month. It isn't FTA.

I think for non-CAS designated areas InCablenet is providing it, probably after coming to some agreement with the distributors.
I live in Chennai, which is fully under CAS. But there is only one MSO here and those guys are not providing us Star Cricket. And these are greedy idiots. They will ask us the payment in advance and make us go through all sorts of rubbish before they give us the channel. :@ :(

Stapel

International Regular
And the idea of Bell at the top makes me cringe even more than Vaughan.

Didn't think you were saying it should happen, BTW, but I'd hope that in the event of Strauss slinging his hook, a Trescothick return would be the outcome.
I agree that Tresco's return would be the answer to a failing Strauss. However, Strauss had a decent 2nd innings in the Lion's game. I wouldn't wrighr him off so quickly.

Anyway, I don't believe England's problems are in the batsmen. The question is merely in how to take 20 wickets. The fearsome foursome, for the moment, appears to be reduced to Matthew Hoggard. Though Monty has become an constant factor, even on pitches that should not suit him, England's bowling line up is not too strong.
-Sidebottom can be impressive, but seems to be very dependant on circumstances
-A fit Harmison might still be an out-of-form Harmison
-Anderson, Plunkett & Mahmood just don't have it

The return of Flintoff, or even Jones, would do England some good!

For now, I think it's fair to call in Broad. Give the lad a chance!