• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

open365

International Vice-Captain
England have 18 sides and Australia have 6, however, the population of England is three times the size of Australia, so it is understandable they 3 times as many sides.

Australia bridge the gaps in standard much better than we do in England, but it is more to do with the whole structure of Australian cricket even before they reach first-class standard.
We may have a bigger population, but i really doubt we have 3 times or even double the amount of fit and healthy people playing cricket that Australia do.

Woodster

International Captain
We may have a bigger population, but i really doubt we have 3 times or even double the amount of fit and healthy people playing cricket that Australia do.
Maybe, maybe not, but 60 million people compared to under 20 million, is a huge difference, so I'm sure we'll need more teams.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What do you think the idea of all these initiatives to get young people playing cricket which we've seen the last 5 years or so is?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I certainly don't. They're an excellent idea to counter the "politically (in)correct" nonsense of the 1980s that competition damages kids, and try and get them playing a bit more.

And to give opportunity to those who otherwise might not have it.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
If I'm right Kevin Pietersen launced "Urban Cricket". An innotative for children coming from difficult backgrounds the oppurtunity to play sport which I persoanlly think is a cracking idea. Any plan to introduce cricket (or any other sport) is extremely worthwile and should be perservered with imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The term is a relatively recent one, but it's been applied to some things with hindsight.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Denly must be a bit annoyed that he couldn't restrain himself and was stumped. By all accounts it was a poor display from the Indians, especially in the fielding department, with Zaheer's spell during the middle of the day being the obvoius highlight.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Exactly. As SS so often points out, population is quite irrelevant within a country if the number of actual participants is low. Eighteen sides could only be justified if either there were three times as many cricketers in England as Australia - or if there were large geographical constraints over areas which demanded a team as to allow people living in the area to play. The latter is definitely not true and I highly doubt the former is true.

However, Australia has the luxury of having its actual states divided in a way which suits the cricketing needs of the country - and hence people can still identity with who they are playing for and supporting and foster intrinsic rivalries with other sides.. like in county cricket. The division of county borders in England means that you'll either end up with the problem of a relatively poor competition in terms of a breeding ground for the test side if you wish to keep the rivalries intrinsic to living in your county. Alternatively, England could go the other way and merge sides into each other, forming 10 franchises - but it'd be purely a competition for the test side then - support would dwindle and passion would vanish. Could you imagine Lancashrians and Yorkshiremen belonging to the same divisional team? Marketing nightmare it'd be - but it'd be better for the test side in the long run.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
last few posts were about End domestic teams vs Australian domestic sides...Do we need them to be discussed in this thread...

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
last few posts were about End domestic teams vs Australian domestic sides...Do we need them to be discussed in this thread...
Threads tend to go slightly off topic from time to time, especially the Official Tour ones.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Considering India are playing an English domestic side atm, I don't think the discussion about the relative quality of domestic sides around the world is off the wall. And this is a three month tour, so small things that warrant a couple posts are going to come up.

pup11

International Coach
Bresnan and Broad frustrating Indian bowlers shouldn't come as a suprise to anyone, India has always struggled to finish off team in the past too because they don't have a genuine wicket taker in their ranks, but still one has to really appreciate the knocks of both Bresnan and Broad. This is probably a sign of things to come for India later on this tour. I seriously think Indian bowling is gonna let them down big time on this tour.

adharcric

International Coach
Bresnan and Broad frustrating Indian bowlers shouldn't come as a suprise to anyone, India has always struggled to finish off team in the past too because they don't have a genuine wicket taker in their ranks, but still one has to really appreciate the knocks of both Bresnan and Broad. This is probably a sign of things to come for India later on this tour. I seriously think Indian bowling is gonna let them down big time on this tour.
Kumble is not a genuine wicket-taker?