• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I may have been a bit too quick to write him off in my previous post. All I know his the stats that Pup posted, but they're not the worst for a finger spinnner not playing at Northants. And didn't he do quite well in an 'A' Tour last year, or is my memory failing me again? Given that we'll definitely need two spinners in SL, then me must have a chance.
He'd certainly be one I'd prefer above pretty well everyone else whose name comes to my mind right now.

Trouble is, he's always been a bit of a Tufnell, and I've never shaken-off the feeling that something could go very, very, very, very badly wrong at absolutely any time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why is that?
It summarises about everything that he's always said India do wrong with their seam-bowlers (especially seamers, though with batsmen and spinners too) and to see yet another case unfolding in front of his eyes might be too much.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
(re Swann) He'd certainly be one I'd prefer above pretty well everyone else whose name comes to my mind right now.

Trouble is, he's always been a bit of a Tufnell, and I've never shaken-off the feeling that something could go very, very, very, very badly wrong at absolutely any time.
Do you really think so? I'd just got the impression that 7 years ago he was perceived as being a bit ****y for a youngster who hadn't actually achieved anything yet. Admittedly I have no information whatsoever about what he's been up to since then, but he seems a far stronger character than Tuffers, who was clearly mad as a hatter from Day 1.

Anyway, that's my tip for the day - Swann to go to SL this winter. Unless Chris Schofield takes about 50 wickets in the remainder of the season.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah...the sky commentators always went on how ****y and arrogant he was when he was younger. Here's hoping he's matured as their's no doubt that he can bowl.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
India need a more mature selection system. I don't agree with the selection of ANYONE under 20 because they are simply not experienced enough nor have they been eased into the schedule, they will break down. Also, men stop growing at 21 years old on average and especially with bowlers, a growth spurt can destroy line and length - we all know how a poor international season could be the end of a player for a good five years and you don't want that at the age of 20 due to a growth spurt.Chawla may be the exception simply because he has played India U19 for several years and proved to be a stand out in a finalist team. He had also played considerably more domestic cricket than Ishant Sharma had (40 matches against about 10).

With his raw potential, he would have been ideal for an India A tour. Having a bowler with such glaring errors such as the no ball problem and backfoot pointing sideways whilst having one of the most front on actions in the game is embarrasing. It is not like these problems are hidden either. Commentators from practically all countries picked up on the latter and hopefully the former is an isolated problem, but even then it is worrying and had he played more than 10 domestic matches, it would have been spotted. Speaking of which VRV would have been ideal for an initial stint in the A team but it seems it goes First Team, then A team for him and many others.

Moreover the current India A team is bizarre. It is a mix between players trying to force their way back in (against Zimbabwe and Kenya no less), talented players and just strange ones like Arjun Yadav. Looking at the domestic records, all with reasonable records have already played for India or have been on the verge and that is disgraceful. With such counter productive pitches in India for spotting talent and nurturing it, 'A team' tours should be a must have before selection in India.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Manee, Whats the case of Rohan Gavaskar. Heard few yrs ago, that he will be making in to Intl side. Any news on that. Is he perfoming to get in to side?Do you know anything on it?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Manee, Whats the case of Rohan Gavaskar. Heard few yrs ago, that he will be making in to Intl side. Any news on that. Is he perfoming to get in to side?Do you know anything on it?
Not living in India, I don't know where he is in terms of selection. He had a good domestic record in FC cricket but like many others it was assumed he would be good in ODI cricket - he was not, amassing 151 runs from 10 innings. At 31, a selection looks improbable. He is not in the India A squad to tour Zimbabwe and Kenya so I doubt he is even on the radar.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do you really think so? I'd just got the impression that 7 years ago he was perceived as being a bit ****y for a youngster who hadn't actually achieved anything yet. Admittedly I have no information whatsoever about what he's been up to since then, but he seems a far stronger character than Tuffers, who was clearly mad as a hatter from Day 1.

Anyway, that's my tip for the day - Swann to go to SL this winter. Unless Chris Schofield takes about 50 wickets in the remainder of the season.
I'm not saying he'll land-up in the psychiatric department the way Tufnell did in 1994\95, but I could see him going off the rails a bit and destabilising things badly. How on Earth everyone carried-on on that Ashes tour after that is beyond me.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Not much reward for him but Sreesanth is bowling well.
3.3 Sreesanth to Strauss, no run, Appeal, on the corridor outside off, Strauss pokes at it, the ball just misses the outside edge, Dhoni and the slips were confident, Sreesanth too, the umpire isnt convinced
5.4 Sreesanth to Denly, no run, beaten, Sreesanth gets it to pitch in line with off stump, move away and the batsman was forced to play at it
7.2 Sreesanth to Denly, no run, beaten, Sreesanth makes him play, the ball just moves away after pitching, batsman was squared up
7.6 Sreesanth to Shah, no run, good pace, outside off and angling across, Shah, as if mindful of the away movement, chooses to leave it
11.5 Sreesanth to Shah, OUT, short ball from Sreesanth and Shah is sucked into the hook shot, top-edge flies high to fine leg where Zaheer pulls off a good running catch

OA Shah c Khan b Sreesanth 11 (33m 22b 2x4 0x6) SR: 50.00
26.4 Sreesanth to Denly, no run, beaten, bowled from wide of the crease, the ball drifts in, pitches and moves away, nearly induces Denly into the trap
26.5 Sreesanth to Denly, no run, beaten again, this was a touch wide outside off, Denly plays a loose drive without moving his feet
28.2 Sreesanth to Denly, no run, beaten, Sreesanth lands it short of a good length outside off, gets it to nip back in and Denly was sliced in half.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not much reward for him but Sreesanth is bowling well.
He could have claimed Denly's wicket 3 time since lunch, but Powar's got him now, which should avoid too much more speculation about him playing against India next week.
Cricinfo seem to think that Onions has come in at number 5.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
29.5 Powar to Denly, OUT

JL Denly st Dhoni b Powar 83 (0m 90b 16x4 0x6) SR: 92.22
In Bill Lawry on 12th man time honoured fashion: "Gone, gottem, the great Mumbain strikes, shove that up your arse Sir Ian Botham"