• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Varun Chopra was the first of the young brigade, though I confess I'm unaware of his deeds this season (that applies to everyone, in fact).

Anyway, there's, obviously, Trescothick and Strauss still in consideration, Cook looking to be camped in for the next 15 years or so, then Denly and Godleman, plus Nick Compton, and I'm sure there are one or two more I've not remembered right now.
Pettini :ph34r:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Varun Chopra was the first of the young brigade, though I confess I'm unaware of his deeds this season (that applies to everyone, in fact).

Anyway, there's, obviously, Trescothick and Strauss still in consideration, Cook looking to be camped in for the next 15 years or so, then Denly and Godleman, plus Nick Compton, and I'm sure there are one or two more I've not remembered right now.
Jefferson is another who's a pretty good player. Rob Key as well but he hasn't got that many runs this season.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
There you go! A quick fire FIFTY for Denly
And almost goes soon after...
Sharma to Denly, no run, worked on the front foot towards gully, Yuvraj throws himself forward, gathers it and flings it back at the stumps, Denly sets off, Trott yells 'wait there, wait there', Denly just manages to get back to the crease, no direct hit

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good half century for Denly, if he settles in and makes it to a ton then he should be very happy with himself, not to mention how much it'll help his chances for higher honours.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
An injured Munaf or 70mph Pathan (@Richard: have emailed the guest article in) could do better than what India are bowling right now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

I don't know much about Chopra either. tbh I just don't see Tres returning as a test cricketer. I won't consider Godleman until he's started shaving. Is Compton an opener? For some reason I thought he batted in the middle order, but I might be way off there.

Interesting situation. If Strauss' form continues to plummet, then it might come down to a choice between one Kent opener who would do a job but most folks don't see as a long term test opener, and his partner who people think is too young but may well be a genuine prospect. Either that or Vaughan opens, Bell bats at 3 and we find another middle order batsman, but I'm not in favour of that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
An injured Munaf or 70mph Pathan (@Richard: have emailed the guest article in) could do better than what India are bowling right now.
Not sure how long the thing will take to be considered, I'll say, the boss usually has plenty on his plate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't know much about Chopra either. tbh I just don't see Tres returning as a test cricketer. I won't consider Godleman until he's started shaving. Is Compton an opener? For some reason I thought he batted in the middle order, but I might be way off there.

Interesting situation. If Strauss' form continues to plummet, then it might come down to a choice between one Kent opener who would do a job but most folks don't see as a long term test opener, and his partner who people think is too young but may well be a genuine prospect. Either that or Vaughan opens, Bell bats at 3 and we find another middle order batsman, but I'm not in favour of that.
I really, really hope none of Godleman, Denly, Chopra play in the next 2 years at least.

As for Compton, apparently he is an opener who, until recently, was not able to bat in his favoured position as some bright spark had Ben Hutton in the side (as captain). Since taking the opening slot he favours, he's (not surprisingly) started scoring quite a few runs.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd love to see Rashid tour Sri Lanka later this year but I highly doubt it will happen. If Gilo is fit again he'll probably go. :sleep:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd love to see Rashid tour Sri Lanka later this year but I highly doubt it will happen. If Gilo is fit again he'll probably go. :sleep:
Why does everyone hate Giles, he is a perfectly good left arm off spinner who can bowl tight while England's strong pace line up (at least it was when he played) did their job of getting wickets.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't think Giles will ever be fit again, sadly. If he was, and (unlike last winter) had bowled before the tour, I'd be more than happy for him to be in the party.

EDIT: Manee, don't forget Giles is also a very capable wicket-taker when the pitch turns.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does everyone hate Giles, he is a perfectly good left arm off spinner who can bowl tight while England's strong pace line up (at least it was when he played) did their job of getting wickets.
I don't hate him as he's a decent left arm spinner. But tbh I'd much rather see a young up and coming leg spinner like Rashid go for the experience

Raghav

International Vice-Captain

But their paceman not up to mark at the moment...So, the chance goes to Panesar..who is but more attacking than Giles.