• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's all to do with the utter bull**** notion of "honour" that I've spoken about 100 times in the past. Complete outdated crap.
There is still a time and place for honour Richard, I hope you aren't refuting that men shouldn't act in a chivalrous manner.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is still a time and place for honour Richard, I hope you aren't refuting that men shouldn't act in a chivalrous manner.
Treating a female cricketer differently than you'd treat a middle-aged **** male cricketer is outdated-crap honour IMO - along with a hundred other things like treating general females differently to how you'd treat tiny little males if they happened to hit you for no good reason.

HeathDavisSpeed

This has reminded me of a story that my dad once told me. I have no idea if it was true or not.

My dad was at university (a looooooong time ago) and was walking down the corridors of the Engineering labs with a mate. His friend held open one of the doors for a woman walking the other way as she had right of way. She comes through the door and launches a verbal tirade as him "You wouldn't have done that if I was a man...blah, blah, blah".

My dad's mate looks her in the eye and says "If you were a man, I'd punch your lights out"

And he did. (and before anyone asks, I have no idea if he was done for assault. Given that this was probably the mid-1960s, it seems unlikely)

The sad thing is, I would imagine that he would have held the door open regardless of what *** the other person was; sometimes others are given the 'right of way'

Perm

You don't hit girls though, honestly. Chivalry is still very much alive and well, including things like opening doors for ladies, giving them your jacket if they are cold sort of thing. On the sports field it is a little different and I would treat them like any other opposition player, but in general life then I think a few more men could learn how to treat woman properly (no that wasn't directed at anybody in particular)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For "proper" read "as superiors who have the right to complete immunity in certain areas".

HeathDavisSpeed

But seriously, if people want 'equality' they cannot pick and choose where and when they can have it, otherwise it cannot be 'equality', can it?

Certain women out there don't deserve chivalry, just as certain men don't. If you mix it up, you deserve to be treated the same, regardless of ***.

Anyway, these days it doesn't matter so much, my lady certainly gives as good as she gets - keeps me on my toes, you know. Its better that way.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But seriously, if people want 'equality' they cannot pick and choose where and when they can have it, otherwise it cannot be 'equality', can it?

Certain women out there don't deserve chivalry, just as certain men don't. If you mix it up, you deserve to be treated the same, regardless of ***.
Absolutely. I've done this one before, and I'm slightly hesitant to do it again, but it rarely works-out like that. :)

Perm

Meh, whatever. I'll treat ladies with courtesy and respect even though in general I can be a bit of a smart-ass, it's just the way I was brought up to respect ladies and I'll continue to show that with little gestures like opening doors etc.

HeathDavisSpeed

Meh, whatever. I'll treat ladies with courtesy and respect even though in general I can be a bit of a smart-ass, it's just the way I was brought up to respect ladies and I'll continue to show that with little gestures like opening doors etc.
Personally, I'm a pretty chilled out, relaxed kinda person. I will treat EVERYONE with respect as long as they show me respect. If they start rarking it up, regardless of who they are, I will have words with them at the very least.

I will hold the door open for anyone who I consider to have right of way. With my injury problems at the moment, people are generally holding the door open for Heath the Hobbler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was brought-up to respect those who deserve my respect, TBH - I'll hold open doors for anyone who looks like they want to walk through them, regardless of gender.

Haha, what a coincidence - happen to be listening to Erasure and A Little Respect at this moment. :D

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Tbh, when you've been beamed by a girl, any on pitch honour goes out the window.

Just because she's like twelve and female, doesn't mean that the ball would be any softer if it hit your head :p

(Yes it was like a year ago, but still. She beamed me. In the nets)