• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

cover drive man

International Captain
Umpires who are the other teams coach.

I am dead set against this there should be proper umpires for games if you use a coach to umpire your bound to get some biasd decisions. My coach umpired a game once and gave the captain some advice while umpiring he would say " Make John" (me) "Bowl on this side"

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Damn right. Come down like a tonne of bricks on it and it'll stop.

The amount of time between overs beggars belief, I was truly amazed the first time I watched some ball-by-ball footage from the 1960s, and it's worse still when teams use slowing things down as an attempt to get around their inadaquecies.
Was even worse in the 80s before they brought in the 90 overs rule....

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Hate to be pedantic, but people consistently misspelling players' names grinds my gears. Fair enough if its some guy who only played FC cricket or a couple of tests, but if its a prominent player of today, like Pietersen, just as Stuart Clark is a bowler and Michael Clarke is a batsman. Just as bad is if its an all-time legend like Bill O'Reilly, its a bit average IMO. Its: O'Reilly The "i" does not/not come before the "e". And there's an apostrophe there!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hate to be pedantic, but people consistently misspelling players' names grinds my gears. Fair enough if its some guy who only played FC cricket or a couple of tests, but if its a prominent player of today, like Pietersen, just as Stuart Clark is a bowler and Michael Clarke is a batsman. Just as bad is if its an all-time legend like Bill O'Reilly, its a bit average IMO. Its: O'Reilly The "i" does not/not come before the "e". And there's an apostrophe there!
Yeah, completely agreed. Gary Sobers always gets me too. There's another 'r' there!

andyc

From wiki "...often known as Garry Sobers (though earlier in his life he preferred the spelling Gary)." I always thought it was Gary tbh.
Hmm, well there you go. Always thought it was Garry myself, cause that's what Cricinfo has on it's profile, IIRC.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agreed 100%.
Yeah, completely agreed. Gary Sobers always gets me too. There's another 'r' there!
Must say I prefer Sir Garfield St Auburn.
I always just say "Sir Garfield", TBH. Saying "Garry" (or Gary) seems unworthy for us everyday souls.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What are your hobbies?
...and watching cricket.
CRICKET? But...
But what? I'm a girl?
Well, yes.
:mad:
It's ****ing stupid, really. Just seen some of this earlier today.

Girls shouldn't swear, girls shouldn't like cricket, girls shouldn't burp, blah-blah-ils...

Absolutely ridiculous.

HeathDavisSpeed

But what? I'm a girl?
My missus plays cricket (or did until she did her back in whilst bowling) and played for our indoor cricket team a few times. Nothing pissed her off more when some clueless bloke slowed down his bowling for her. Still, usually worked out badly for the bowler in question as she clattered the ball into the side netting.

Seriously though, if you are playing a proper league match of any sport, you should NEVER let your intensity drop. Even if the oppo are playing a foetus, you have to give 100%... you never know how good that foetus might be, plus if the oppo played a **** middle-aged man, you wouldn't drop your intensity just because he was ****, so keep going and make sure that you get the most out of the chance to better your averages!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My missus plays cricket (or did until she did her back in whilst bowling) and played for our indoor cricket team a few times. Nothing pissed her off more when some clueless bloke slowed down his bowling for her. Still, usually worked out badly for the bowler in question as she clattered the ball into the side netting.

Seriously though, if you are playing a proper league match of any sport, you should NEVER let your intensity drop. Even if the oppo are playing a foetus, you have to give 100%... you never know how good that foetus might be, plus if the oppo played a **** middle-aged man, you wouldn't drop your intensity just because he was ****, so keep going and make sure that you get the most out of the chance to better your averages!!!
It's all to do with the utter bull**** notion of "honour" that I've spoken about 100 times in the past. Complete outdated crap.