• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gutless wasn't it, that and the ball before.

Reminded me of Phil Tufnell.
I hope you go and tell Plunkett that was gutless to his face. Let us know how you get on.

Players often shuffle away to leg without them consciously doing it.

If the pitch stays like this I'm expecting Harmison to destroy WI like he destroyed Pakistan last year.

Scaly piscine

Yes that's right, no big fast bowler has ever destroyed a team. The team just imploded. Must be something they ate presumably.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Quite obviously. It doesn't take a genius to spot the fact that most of the Pakistan dismissals in that match were due to batting error, not high-calibre deliveries.

The way Harmison is normally treated is ample proof of that.

Scaly piscine

Richard's saying that Pakistan imploded not that every team implodes.
You really haven't followed his line of thought have you... What he's actually thinking is anytime Harmison gets wickets it's batsmen error. This is because he hates Harmison and anyone he hates can't possibly perform well. So that leaves anytime when Harmison destroys a team as 'said team imploding'.

Apart from the odd exception the only bowlers he actually rates are those who bowl the ball slightly quicker than Panesar. Oh how sad it was before Richard decided to camp in official stickied threads...

grecian

Yes the irony is delicious, as I've said before they're birds of a feather, that's what winds them both up, imho.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, actually, I'm not a "xenophobic dolt" (Amir's words), I'm not blindly prejudiced in favour of those who play for my home county, nor do I have absurdly outdated north>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>south prejudices.

And a whole host of other things, too...

grecian

I hope you go and tell Plunkett that was gutless to his face. Let us know how you get on.

Players often shuffle away to leg without them consciously doing it.
Patetic, go around slagging off everyone you do to their face, lets see if you'd be so forthcoming.

It was cowardly, he was backing away in fear at the previous ball. He then was so worried about his own lil girl-self, he let a straight ball clean him up.

Not a Test-class number eight. I'd rather saj play for batting and bowling.

To repeat GUTLESS.

grecian

No, actually, I'm not a "xenophobic dolt" (Amir's words), I'm not blindly prejudiced in favour of those who play for my home county, nor do I have absurdly outdated north>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>south prejudices.

And a whole host of other things, too...
I wasn't accusing you of any of that. Just the nonsense about "luck", or "bad play of oppo", when someone you dislike does well or vice versa.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, yeah... I don't "dislike" or "hate" players for no reason, either - I either rate them or I don't. I don't rate players for a reason, and those reasons have to do with the ability of those players, not dropped catches, bad Umpiring decisions, rubbish shots to nothing balls, or anything of that type. Nor, for that matter, which domestic side they play for or which country they're from.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Patetic, go around slagging off everyone you do to their face, lets see if you'd be so forthcoming.

It was cowardly, he was backing away in fear at the previous ball. He then was so worried about his own lil girl-self, he let a straight ball clean him up.

Not a Test-class number eight. I'd rather saj play for batting and bowling.

To repeat GUTLESS.
Gutless is as if he saw the ball and chose to walk out the way to protect himself, I don't agree with that AT ALL. When I back away from bowlers, it is a bodily reflex and usually I don't have control of it. Obviously Fidel's action and pace intimidated him subconciously and the only way to combat that is to convince himself inside that he can play Fidel and to keep his eye on the fast moving ball (even before it has been released). A key reason he may have walked out the way is that he may have not seen the ball or lost it midway after release, obviously the large amount of outswing would not help that.

Here's my take on the day:

England Batting:

Strauss is in bad form and played a lazy shot, it has been his downfall recently. Unlike before, he was lazy in defense as opposed to attack, he seemed baffled by the decision, perhaps he misjudged the line of the ball completely.

Cook is a run machine (nuff said). Vaughan was elegant and steady once again, it is premature, but he is in a spot of touch and hopefully he can keep that up (obviously not against the mighty India though:D) Kevin Pietersen scored under 10 against sub standard West Indies, I can imagine part of the dressing room has been manually demolished by him :).

Bell's reliance on the cover drive and his shaky defense just outside off were both brilliantly compensated by the old ball as he adds to his record down the order, could this be a new role for Bell at 6. At 6 in 10 innings, he has had 4 hundreds!!! I did not see much of Prior in highlights but a 40 at seven speaks for itself, the question remains, can he keep it up, and will Australia 'suss him out', I hope not.

West Indies Bowling:

West Indies seemed disciplined with the ball today, making use of the cracks in the Day One pitch with some uneven bounce. Collymore was steady and shockingly enough, so was Taylor. Sammy looks very slow must be about 75mph, but I may have misjudged that. For someone not bowling exceptional line and length or swinging it much, surely he should be a yard quicker. Fidel impressed me with his pace and he seemed to have England batsman on their toes. He leaked a few too many runs as the ball would sail off the bat to the boundary, maybe he can be moulded, not into a line and length bowler, but into one you can set a field for.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Here's my take on the day:

England Batting:

Strauss is in bad form and played a lazy shot, it has been his downfall recently. Unlike before, he was lazy in defense as opposed to attack, he seemed baffled by the decision, perhaps he misjudged the line of the ball completely.

Cook is a run machine (nuff said). Vaughan was elegant and steady once again, it is premature, but he is in a spot of touch and hopefully he can keep that up (obviously not against the mighty India though:D) Kevin Pietersen scored under 10 against sub standard West Indies, I can imagine part of the dressing room has been manually demolished by him :).

Bell's reliance on the cover drive and his shaky defense just outside off were both brilliantly compensated by the old ball as he adds to his record down the order, could this be a new role for Bell at 6. At 6 in 10 innings, he has had 4 hundreds!!! I did not see much of Prior in highlights but a 40 at seven speaks for itself, the question remains, can he keep it up, and will Australia 'suss him out', I hope not.

West Indies Bowling:

West Indies seemed disciplined with the ball today, making use of the cracks in the Day One pitch with some uneven bounce. Collymore was steady and shockingly enough, so was Taylor. Sammy looks very slow must be about 75mph, but I may have misjudged that. For someone not bowling exceptional line and length or swinging it much, surely he should be a yard quicker. Fidel impressed me with his pace and he seemed to have England batsman on their toes. He leaked a few too many runs as the ball would sail off the bat to the boundary, maybe he can be moulded, not into a line and length bowler, but into one you can set a field for.
This > it, ITBT. :p

PLEASE NOTE THE :p THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!