• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sammy also adds something different.
You'd say? I mean, obviously every bowler is different in his own way, but I'd say Sammy is a bowler who could be said to be "samey" in the context of Powell, Collymore, Taylor and Bravo, in that he's a right-armer who bowls with a fairly orthodox action. Edwards, on the other hand, is a round-arm slinger, as I say.

I mean, I'm not a big one for "you need variation" - if you've got 4 wildly different rubbish bowlers it's not a lot better than having 4 similar rubbish bowlers; and equally if you've got 4 excellent bowlers you're still going to do pretty well (Roberts, Holding, Garner and Croft weren't terribly different, for instance). But I'd say Edwards provided a bit more variation than most.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
You'd say? I mean, obviously every bowler is different in his own way, but I'd say Sammy is a bowler who could be said to be "samey" in the context of Powell, Collymore, Taylor and Bravo, in that he's a right-armer who bowls with a fairly orthodox action. Edwards, on the other hand, is a round-arm slinger, as I say.

I mean, I'm not a big one for "you need variation" - if you've got 4 wildly different rubbish bowlers it's not a lot better than having 4 similar rubbish bowlers; and equally if you've got 4 excellent bowlers you're still going to do pretty well (Roberts, Holding, Garner and Croft weren't terribly different, for instance). But I'd say Edwards provided a bit more variation than most.
Sammy's different not in his action but his bowling pattern. Swinging the ball both ways from what I've seen or maybe more accurate in that he's swinging it in a different direction to the others.

atisha_ro

U19 12th Man
sometimes i hate to be right... but the batsmen dominated the not-so-varied bowling after tea. or maybe the tea was too warm for the cold Manchester weather to the Windians :)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What a difference having a decent number 6 & 7 makes, shame Prior had to just gift his wicket away in typical England style.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I'm such a jinx. Checked the score 3 times before I got home. The second was the ball after Pietersen got out and the third were when Collingwood went.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, I regret to inform you, Bennett, that you have no influence on what's going on at Old Trafford. :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beaten by the huge outswinger more than anything, but it might have helped if he'd been in line.

EDIT: oh dear, that looks reaLLY poor on the replay! :laugh:

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
From a purely cricketing perspective, it's really good to see honours about even after the first day, and the West Indies have done really well to rein England in, after they looked like getting away from them a couple of times. Admittedly that's been down to some pretty poor batting, but at least we have something of a contest on our hands now.