• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Powell has been their best bowler IMO, just hasn't come up with wickets.
He's had spells where he has - most notably in the Lord's Test (during which he did take a couple). He's also had spells where he's been as bad as the rest.

Collymore, too, has had some pretty decent spells.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
From The Daily Mail -

Cricket: Mark Ramprakash has been sounded out by England’s selectors about a remarkable Test comeback at 37. Ramprakash, the most talented batsman of his generation, has been asked by selector Geoff Miller if he would be interested in renewing a Test career that was blighted by under-achievement...
That should have been the giveaway that it was a complete fallacy tbh

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That should have been the giveaway that it was a complete fallacy tbh
Very good call.

Incidentally, I was chatting with someone the other day as to whether this is the worst WI side ever to tour England. We figured the 1928 side had better bowlers, but probably a weaker batting lineup. Thoughts, anyone?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Very good call.

Incidentally, I was chatting with someone the other day as to whether this is the worst WI side ever to tour England. We figured the 1928 side had better bowlers, but probably a weaker batting lineup. Thoughts, anyone?
The worst side (barring Zim and BD) since Packer weakened Pakistan in 78.

Nishant

International 12th Man
They really are terrible. Esp with Shiv and Sarwan out as well.
completely true TBH..it is quite woeful. I remember exactly one year ago...WI had just come off a one day series victory against india; 4-1....everyone was talking abt a huge west indian recovery in terms of cricket...and after a yr now...they are back to square one. Its quite sad!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
completely true TBH..it is quite woeful. I remember exactly one year ago...WI had just come off a one day series victory against india; 4-1....everyone was talking abt a huge west indian recovery in terms of cricket...and after a yr now...they are back to square one. Its quite sad!
The worst thing is, they'll win the ODI series and everything will be okay for another year...

Nishant

International 12th Man
The worst thing is, they'll win the ODI series and everything will be okay for another year...
quite possible actually...and ur right...it will be like evrything is okay again. But..i don see them win the ODI series TBH...they too require some sort of skill TBH and the team actually has to be good.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
quite possible actually...and ur right...it will be like evrything is okay again. But..i don see them win the ODI series TBH...they too require some sort of skill TBH and the team actually has to be good.
Well, given that England have not-much skill and a not-good ODI team... I can see WI winning it, TBH. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The early West Indies attacks weren't much worse than some of their legendary ones. In George Francis, Martindale, Constantine and Herman Griffith they had four top-line seamers. Headley, of course, did not play until 1930 and before him there were few batsmen of note.

A strong bowling line-up, though, limits the damage as even if you're being bowled-out for stupidly low totals and losing by an innings (if you bat first), at least you aren't being ground into the ground by having massive totals piled-up next to you.

In any case, West Indies' current batting sans-Chanderpaul (and to a lesser extent Sarwan) is hardly flash either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:wallbash: Poor Aussies.

And that's **** because it means there'll almost certainly be less of 'em posting on this thread.

pasag

RTDAS
whats the point of starting on day 4...thats just stupid and even more so if there are no highlights to offer as well.
The last two days are better than nothing if it gets that far I guess. Might have something to do with Rugby and the French Open, but yeah it's completely dire. And I get the pay TV just for the cricket, I don't use it for anything else and now they don't even show much of that anymore. And there is no legal other way to get it either.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
So dire i swear. Bloody annoying to say the least. Are we expected to see any cricket this winter at all on Foxtel that is?