• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know, and left mid-season to go and join McFly (that needs a 8-) every time).

Just always amuses me that a member of McFly (8-)) should be a good cricketer.

FBU

International Debutant
From The Daily Mail -

Cricket: Mark Ramprakash has been sounded out by England’s selectors about a remarkable Test comeback at 37. Ramprakash, the most talented batsman of his generation, has been asked by selector Geoff Miller if he would be interested in renewing a Test career that was blighted by under-achievement...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That completely baffles logic.

While it might be nice to see Ramprakash come back in and have a year in the sun, his time has passed. His time was with Butcher, Atherton, Hussain, Stewart and Thorpe. I'd genuinely have been in favour of him being re-selected in 2003, but not now.

And added to that, Shah should still be ahead of him in the pecking-order, TBH.

As for the thought of dropping one of the already-incumbants... haven't we got enough problems trying to fit batsmen in? I can only pray that they're not going to try the genius of having him open again...

EDIT: or Vaughan, for that matter.

FBU

International Debutant
It could be Vaughan and Cook to open and Ramps to come in at three. :huh:

It could just be that someone saw Miller talking to Ramps and put two and two together and got five.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Weird indeed. Fair play to Ramps, he literally couldn't have done more with the bat of late, but unless he's suddenly started bowling seam-up rather rapidly I don't think he's really needed.

Only thing I could think of is that Bell's bad back is worse than has been reported. Still harsh on Shah tho.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Cant be true. Its not like our batting is a problem atm. More likely we went back to Caddick to help solve our bowling problems tbh :laugh:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
From The Daily Mail -

Cricket: Mark Ramprakash has been sounded out by England’s selectors about a remarkable Test comeback at 37. Ramprakash, the most talented batsman of his generation, has been asked by selector Geoff Miller if he would be interested in renewing a Test career that was blighted by under-achievement...
I would love that, he has clearly found his prime now at 36 (scoring that 1000 runs in a season) and maybe he could 'do a Nixon' and really make use of his oppotunity.

Nishant

International 12th Man
its probably just some rumours made up by the english press again....i wudnt care too much of it TBH...but if im wrong...that'll be jokes!

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, he's clearly still in his prime then. He is timeless.

EDIT: Oh sorry, I made a mistake. It was 2000 (2,278) runs in a season.

EDIT 2: And he was Wisden Cricketer of the Year 2007

EDIT 3: And he scored a hundred today

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, oh dear.

Yes, I was going to respond to that but left it, but now I think I'd best say...

IMO, Ramprakash is no more in his prime now than he ever has been. He's always been a brilliant player, but sadly was never able to transfer that to the Test arena in his first 30-odd games (where he averaged 16). He got better, but when you have a start like that you can barely afford so much as one bad series, and he had two, and was dropped after each.

IMO, there's no point bringing him back now.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I know there is no point (actually quite baffling since England have quite strong batting), but he is an able batsman still.