• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Garry Sobers-A master of black magic?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Statistics are not the essence of sport. Statistics are a limited means to interpret performance in sport. They are certainly important but they are not the ultimate judge of a player's performance. To be honest, an overreliance on and obsession with statistics indicates a lack of experience with (and a limited understanding of) the game.
*SHRUG*, call it what you will. I am not sure what 'over reliance' would mean, but I certainly think they are a big part of cricket and yes, a large part of the overall judge of a player. Not the sole obviously, but a big part.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
With all due respect mate, yourself and some others keep coming in with "stats hide things", "stats don't always tell the true story"...well, I've been inviting yourself and some others to reveal what it is we're missing.
OK then here goes - using stats:

Under the World ratings, Imran has a highest all-rounder rating of 512.

Between April 1962 and March 1969, Sobers' rating did not dip under 512.

Looking at peaks et.c:

Best batting - Imran 650, ranking of 12. Sobers 938, ranking of 1.
Best bowling - Imran 922, ranking of 1. Sobers 715, ranking of 4.

Batting at highest bowling - Imran 557, ranking of 28. Sobers 936, ranking of 1.
Bowling at highest batting - Imran 731, ranking of 6. Sobers 690, ranking of 9.

Hence Sobers is touted as the best all rounder by so many, because he combined the 2 for a long long time...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That's an interesting take on things - in effect you're equating a 37 batting average with a 27 bowling average - based on what exactly?
Imran - decent(37) to great(51). Sobers poor (34) to decent (27). (I'm talking about Imran's batting and Sobers' bowling).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Based on who the runs are scored against, how difficult it was to score runs, who the bowlers dismissed, how easy a wicket it was for bowlers etc. etc.

And quite conclusive as it takes things into context far more than a mere batting or bowling average does.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well having read some of the criteria, is there someway to split the batting and the bowling parts of the ranking? I mean, being arguably the 2nd greatest test batsmen of all time is quite clearly going to effect your ranking and your bowling status. One of the points is even: bowlers who bowl a large number of overs in the match get some credit, even if they take no wickets

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It seems quite complex. How do they rank teams of different eras in comparison to the players that faced them?

And for example, how many wickets against the 3rd test side equate 1 wicket of the best test side?

Their weighting of attributes? How does that come into it? Because it's all a comparison of something else, which is further compared with something else and who gives the weighting to this really? I don't know, I haven't looked much into this to be honest and I will. Any grievances with this ranking system?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think of a scorecard. When you read it, you still don't fully understand how the game panned out, and what were the critical points, and who turned the game. Stats are a collation of scorecards. That's all.
That's over-simplifying things, though. No, you can't realise every twist and turn of a game just on the scorecard, but you can make a pretty accurate summary of each individual's contribution. Not neccessarily the little nitty-gritty parts, but the important stuff (ie, who scored runs, who didn't concede runs, who conceded runs, who didn't score runs, who took wickets, who got out, who didn't get out, who didn't take wickets). Of course, one thing scorecards, sadly, don't show is dropped catches and bad Umpiring decisions, and that's one thing which could do with being recorded, which would make a whole extra set of stats.

JBH001

International Regular
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but dont forget fielding either.

(Wish I could join in on this besides reading and enjoying, but a 10,000 word essay calls...)

steve132

U19 Debutant
Statistics are not the essence of sport. Statistics are a limited means to interpret performance in sport. They are certainly important but they are not the ultimate judge of a player's performance. To be honest, an overreliance on and obsession with statistics indicates a lack of experience with (and a limited understanding of) the game.
Adharcric: Excellent post.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
*SHRUG*, call it what you will. I am not sure what 'over reliance' would mean, but I certainly think they are a big part of cricket and yes, a large part of the overall judge of a player. Not the sole obviously, but a big part.
Also, I want to add: regardless of my understanding of the game, a lot of players also place huge emphasis on stats. Look at Hadlee...I would claim that he had more than a passing knowledge of the game, and he was known for that kind of that.

adharcric

International Coach
Also, I want to add: regardless of my understanding of the game, a lot of players also place huge emphasis on stats. Look at Hadlee...I would claim that he had more than a passing knowledge of the game, and he was known for that kind of that.
Uhh yeah, that explains why Hadlee rated Lillee as the best bowler of his generation despite having superior stats himself.

Interestingly, he had a reputation as a selfish cricketer. Go figure.
That works too. ;)

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imran - decent(37) to great(51). Sobers poor (34) to decent (27). (I'm talking about Imran's batting and Sobers' bowling).
If Imran was an infinitely better bowler than Sobers, what does that prove on the all-rounder point when Sobers was an infintiely bettre batsman? He batted higher than Imran for the most part, scored more runs at a better rate, more tons and dominated bowling in a way Imran didn't.

Look, you can take someone's peak in a certain discipline and say what a great batsman/ bowler they were, etc. etc. It would be like me saying look at Brett Lee's stats before he stuffed his elbow - he took 42 wickets in 7 matches at 16.00 - therefore for that period he was the best bowler around and therefore was/ is/ could have been better than x or could have been/ is/ was but for injury an all-time great. That would be laughable.

How you can decry Sobers as a bowler as ordinary or worse, yet conveniently ignore that the gulf in his and Imran's stats re. batting is as big if not bigger than that with the ball is beyond me. Likewise the lauding of Imran for his undoubted impressive ability to bowl on flat subcontinental wickets yet making no allowance for the fact that he batted on those pitches too.

Anyone can divide stats up how they like to assist them in making their point, but at the end of the day it will prove nothing on this point because it's a matter of opinion. Stats play their part in that but cannot be definitive.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

JBH001

International Regular
Anyone thought of comparing Sobers' bowling average with other bowlers of the period?

Though, iirc, Sobers was quite a long lived cricketer compared to many of that era.

Just from recollection alone, quick bowlers like Snow (perhaps England's best ever quick) averaged around the mid 20 mark and Garth McKenzie, who carried the Aussie bowling for years after Davidson retired, averaged just under 30 - yet Lillee credits him as one of the greatest Aussie quicks and cites him (and Lindwall) as two bowlers who inspired him. Gibbs averaged a shade under 30 and I think Wes Hall also averaged around the mid 20 mark and I dont know what Peter Pollocks average was.

If the averages of the best bowlers of the era were in the higher range then it could be said that Sobers' 27 is a good average and his career 34 is a competent one.

Just worth a look, I think.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was misunderstood TBH. Went about playing cricket in a very professional and clinical manner, which some people didn't like. He knew what he was doing though, and every time he picked up a 5'fer or scored a half century it was helping the team he played in, whether it was Canterbury, Notts or New Zealand.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If Imran was an infinitely better bowler than Sobers, what does that prove on the all-rounder point when Sobers was an infintiely bettre batsman? He batted higher than Imran for the most part, scored more runs at a better rate, more tons and dominated bowling in a way Imran didn't.

Look, you can take someone's peak in a certain discipline and say what a great batsman/ bowler they were, etc. etc. It would be like me saying look at Brett Lee's stats before he stuffed his elbow - he took 42 wickets in 7 matches at 16.00 - therefore for that period he was the best bowler around and therefore was/ is/ could have been better than x or could have been/ is/ was but for injury an all-time great. That would be laughable.

How you can decry Sobers as a bowler as ordinary or worse, yet conveniently ignore that the gulf in his and Imran's stats re. batting is as big if not bigger than that with the ball is beyond me. Likewise the lauding of Imran for his undoubted impressive ability to bowl on flat subcontinental wickets yet making no allowance for the fact that he batted on those pitches too.

Anyone can divide stats up how they like to assist them in making their point, but at the end of the day it will prove nothing on this point because it's a matter of opinion. Stats play their part in that but cannot be definitive.
No, my whole point is that whether discussing peak or career average, Imran's weaker discipline is stronger than Sobers' weaker discipline and hence a more rounded all-rounder. And when we're taking peaks, it is something like a 10 year sample, rather than just 7 test matches (which would equate to 1 year now). The thing that lingers with Khan is that once he improved his batting, it didn't drop, he just retired. Which is different with Sobers who we're taking a peak in the middle of his careeer. As he aged, Imran actually batted better and was regarded an easy #5 batsmen.

You're arguing with someone who puts Sobers' name on an all-time list before he does Imran's. I am not - and cannot - belittle Sobers' achievements, but I do choose to put them into some perspective rather than just following what everybody else has said about him.

Last edited: