• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha. Called that on the phone to my dad last night. Quite grateful I'll be playing and teaching instead of having to watch.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A few random thoughts about Sidebottom's selection ....

1. The extent to which Mahmood has fallen from grace with the new regime - having played in the last 3 ashes tests, he's now been overtaken by Anderson, Plunkett and Sidebottom in the pecking order.

2. I just wonder to what extent this is down to the inability of the Lord's attack to bowl to lefthanders with any sort of accuracy

3. I also wonder to what extent Moores is doing this to send a message to the counties, as well as to under-achievers in the usual squad.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Nothing against Sidebottom, but it does strike as a bit random for me. At least with later period Fletch we had some consistency in selections. Hope this isn't a return to the bad old days of selecting a seamer for one game/tour before their return to the ranks.

From what I've read if a Notts seamer was due a call it would've been Shreck too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nothing against Sidebottom, but it does strike as a bit random for me. At least with later period Fletch we had some consistency in selections. Hope this isn't a return to the bad old days of selecting a seamer for one game/tour before their return to the ranks.

From what I've read if a Notts seamer was due a call it would've been Shreck too.
Depends what you want, really. I've honestly never seen Shreck bowl, but he doesn't strike me as the reliable type. He'll take massive hauls sometimes, and also quite often do not-much, while his economy-rates are rarely impressive. Sidebottom, on the other hand, tends to be a good L&L merchant who sometimes offers the penetration to take wickets.

I didn't fancy his selection in 2001, though, and I still don't. He was bowling at 75mph, if that, for most of his spells last season, and I did watch a few of those. Only rarely will someone of that pace manage to take Test wickets. At least in 2001 he was a bit quicker than that.

I don't really think it's random, as such, though - just a little unexpected. And with the injury to Hoggard, someone had to get picked. Would you have preferred Mahmood? Or Newby? 'Cos I sure wouldn't.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because clearly he's improved so much since he last attempted to play International Cricket and was exposed as being passed it.
Given that he hasn't played Test cricket since he last played Test cricket, we don't really know.

Unlike Caddick and Cork, however, he has continued to return pretty reasonable figures at the domestic level.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I actually don't think that Sidebottom is a bad choice - infact I'm quite encouraged by Moores thinking outside the box and going for someone a bit different. He's obviously quite a long way down the pecking order, but injuries have all come at once and he's got his chance - fair play to him.

I shouldn't think he'll be a long term fixture in the side, if indeed he makes it into the team at all, but the next three tests are at Headingly, Chester le Street and Old Trafford. If we buy into the stereotype of it always being grim up north (:ph34r:) he might find some swing and do quite well for himself.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
It's a shame Amjad Khan got injured really. If he was fit and had made a good start to the season, he could have been in contention for a callup with all the injuries that are about. I realise that's a lot of if's! :P

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

But come the end it became constantly bad and far too dogmatic...

Sidebottom isn’t really my cup of tea but I saw him bowl earlier this year and he was a real handful, decent pace and moved it both ways prestigiously. Can only see him being either a quick stop gap (horses for courses) or a message selection as wpdavid referred to for he won’t be touring Sri Lanka one suspects.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Depends what you want, really. I've honestly never seen Shreck bowl, but he doesn't strike me as the reliable type. He'll take massive hauls sometimes, and also quite often do not-much, while his economy-rates are rarely impressive. Sidebottom, on the other hand, tends to be a good L&L merchant who sometimes offers the penetration to take wickets.

I didn't fancy his selection in 2001, though, and I still don't. He was bowling at 75mph, if that, for most of his spells last season, and I did watch a few of those. Only rarely will someone of that pace manage to take Test wickets. At least in 2001 he was a bit quicker than that.

I don't really think it's random, as such, though - just a little unexpected. And with the injury to Hoggard, someone had to get picked. Would you have preferred Mahmood? Or Newby? 'Cos I sure wouldn't.
Sidebottom's actually a bit quicker than Shreck, or at least was when I saw them. :ph34r: Sidebottom was up around 79-82mph, but Shreck's more Lewis kind of pace. In his favour tho is his height (6' 6" if he's an inch) and he did use this to extract some fair bounce from a length. Could be a handful with conditions in his favour, although you could equally say that of Sidebottom too I suppose.

Sidebottom isn’t really my cup of tea but I saw him bowl earlier this year and he was a real handful, decent pace and moved it both ways prestigiously. Can only see him being either a quick stop gap (horses for courses) or a message selection as wpdavid referred to for he won’t be touring Sri Lanka one suspects.
Yeah, fair enough, it did look like Big Dunc was clearly playing favourites in the end (Giles & Jones have hopefully returned the incriminating negatives now), but his selections (in tests) at least had some kind of logic too them; there was a definite forward progress to his picks where seamers where concerned. Sidebottom seems to have been pulled completely from left-field. Until wpd mentioned him on here I hadn't even heard him touted.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sidebottom's actually a bit quicker than Shreck, or at least was when I saw them. :ph34r: Sidebottom was up around 79-82mph, but Shreck's more Lewis kind of pace.
Haha, WTF? Sidebottom 79-82... maybe he's done some work on his arm-speed last winter.

Lewis is usually exactly that speed, though - early 80s, late 70s. Same as Cork (though he occasionally slipped in a spell where he cranked it a bit higher) though Lewis is obviously far less talented.

So what speeds was old Charles hitting then?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bad as some people (myself included) would say Mahmood's continued selection was, you simply cannot dispute that there were still plenty - some even on this board - who were backing his continued inclusion.

And the Giles being picked had little to do with consistency and a lot to do with wanting some sort of batting from your tail-enders... not an unreasonable trait to desire.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Haha, WTF? Sidebottom 79-82... maybe he's done some work on his arm-speed last winter.

Lewis is usually exactly that speed, though - early 80s, late 70s. Same as Cork (though he occasionally slipped in a spell where he cranked it a bit higher) though Lewis is obviously far less talented.

So what speeds was old Charles hitting then?
This was last season. Shreck was 74-80 range.

Lewis occasionally goes over 80mph, but it is occasionally. I'd reckon on average Sidebottom's a bit quicker. Def gets more carry too, probably cos he's got a bit of height on Lewis.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Sidebottom in how the **** did I get selected look.

Love the picture headlining at the BBC cricket home page.