• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my cricketing gears?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That reminds me of something else that grinds my gears...commentators referring to sportspeople by their first names. It just sounds so unprofessional. Annoys me a bit when people do it generally as well tbh.
Happens with Rugby League refs in the NRL quite a bit. Numbers sound much better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow over rates:

One of the worst things about cricket IMO. It really gets my goat (well if I had one) is how long some teams take to bowl an over (like the captain going up to the bowler every 5 seconds, FFS let him figure it out) and the time wasted in between overs. Stop wasting time and just get in there and bowl your overs, the sooner you bowl them, the sooner they are done. Also it is a sign that your team is not playing well if they are just moping about and taking their time. If it were me, I wouldn't just fine said team, I'd dock them points from either the Test or ODI tables depending in which the offence occured. This would be for repeated offenders. Take that.
Damn right. Come down like a tonne of bricks on it and it'll stop.

The amount of time between overs beggars belief, I was truly amazed the first time I watched some ball-by-ball footage from the 1960s, and it's worse still when teams use slowing things down as an attempt to get around their inadaquecies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That reminds me of something else that grinds my gears...commentators referring to sportspeople by their first names. It just sounds so unprofessional. Annoys me a bit when people do it generally as well tbh.
TBH, mostly when people do that it's "guest" box-holders, at least here in domestic cricket. And if you're referring to your team-mates, you'll use the names you routinely use.

Agreed on the fact that everyone, even the regular and pro types, seems to call MSP "Monty", though. Really, really strange.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Inflexibilty regarding hours of play

This has really annoyed me today. Rain starts coming down at Lords at about 11.30. All it needed was a look at the met office radar to suggest that this would be the case. Time has already been lost over previous days due to rain and bad light. In which case, why not start play today at 10, or even at 9? This is English springtime, it does get light enough to play cricket before 11am. I'm sure there is some foolish reason, such as fitting in with tv schedules, as to why play doesn't start early, but days like today expose the foolishness of such decisions.

A little bit irrelevant really, as it looks like it'll rain for most of the day, but still, it annoys me.

Mister Wright

Inflexibilty regarding hours of play

This has really annoyed me today. Rain starts coming down at Lords at about 11.30. All it needed was a look at the met office radar to suggest that this would be the case. Time has already been lost over previous days due to rain and bad light. In which case, why not start play today at 10, or even at 9? This is English springtime, it does get light enough to play cricket before 11am. I'm sure there is some foolish reason, such as fitting in with tv schedules, as to why play doesn't start early, but days like today expose the foolishness of such decisions.

A little bit irrelevant really, as it looks like it'll rain for most of the day, but still, it annoys me.

I agree to an extent, but you can't really start a game earlier than the scheduled start. What always bugs me is the fact that the lunch break is never moved. That's really annoying, especially when they go out for 20 minutes, then go to luch with the sun shining during the rain period and then they head back out after lunch and it rains after 5 minutes, what a joke that always is.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
What are your hobbies?
...and watching cricket.
CRICKET? But...
But what? I'm a girl?
Well, yes.
:mad:

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Haha, who's the **** who said that? I'm absolutely thrilled when I meet a girl who likes sports.
Lots of blokes. Strangely enough, in South Africa, it's not strange to be female and like rugby. But cricket always seems surprising. A much more intelligent, interesting sport.
Maybe that's the reason.:lightbulb :eek: :wallbash:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Scaly's unfair slagging of Monty, actually its also quite funny to see him come up with absurd excuses whenever he bowls well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lots of blokes. Strangely enough, in South Africa, it's not strange to be female and like rugby. But cricket always seems surprising. A much more intelligent, interesting sport.
Strangely enough it's not strange... :unsure:

Perm

What are your hobbies?
...and watching cricket.
CRICKET? But...
But what? I'm a girl?
Well, yes.
Haha, the guy is an idiot. Girls that are into sports are worth their weight in gold IMO.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Oh there are loads of people who go to watch the cricket in SA, but whether they are there to actually watch the cricket is another matter..

I know plenty of girls who are into cricket and rugby here.. Fullins to respond

And whats uninteresting about Rugby? Sharks fan?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What are your hobbies?
...and watching cricket.
CRICKET? But...
But what? I'm a girl?
Well, yes.
lol, that happens a lot in India as well. My cousin is really into cricket and even though guys are generally happy to meet girls who are into sports, her "girl" friends always sorta look at her different because of this. IT's beyond stupid, for me.