• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official** West Indies in England***

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's all of the top 6 out bowled or lbw, shows how bad the batting has been given none of the deliveries did that much out of the ordinary.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I love the fact Asad Rauf (#1 Umpire...) managed to say Collingwood was not out when he shouldered arms, but has also managed to give Panesar four LBWs.

They were all plumb, but no where near as much as the one against Colly.

Still, wonderful ball Monty.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
I love the fact Asad Rauf (#1 Umpire...) managed to say Collingwood was not out when he shouldered arms, but has also managed to give Panesar four LBWs.

In all fairness Monty could have had another yesterday that was plumb. These things even themselves out. The problem for West Indies is that Colly went on to ton up.

Perm

Nice work Monty, picks up a deserved 5-fer. Now for Plunkett to wrap up the tail hopefully.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

The not out against Chanderpaul when he offered no shot and the ball was hitting half way up middle was a bigger let-off than the Collingwood one.

Does seem a little bit of inconsistancy regarding the LBWs

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Plunkett divides this forum amazingly equally I'd found. It's generally accepted that he isn't quite good enough yet, but it seems about 50/50 in terms of people who think Plunkett could/will eventuate into anything and those who don't.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Plunkett divides this forum amazingly equally I'd found. It's generally accepted that he isn't quite good enough yet, but it seems about 50/50 in terms of people who think Plunkett could/will eventuate into anything and those who don't.
Well he's infinitely preferable to Madge imo, I thought he should have plaed in the world cup. If he was going to take part in any series at the moment I'd prefer it to be this. He has been unlucky, just needs to become more consistent which isn't a huge worry consdiering he's still only 22.

Scaly piscine

I just don't know why there isn't a third man, that's at least a quarter of the runs Plunkett has conceded that have gone through there. It's by no means unique to him, third man is a woefully underused fielding position in Test cricket.

Perm

I just don't know why there isn't a third man, that's at least a quarter of the runs Plunkett has conceded that have gone through there. It's by no means unique to him, third man is a woefully underused fielding position in Test cricket.
Thirded.

Taylor and Powell are actually playing some quite nice shots here.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I hope Anderson doesn't play for me he must be the most be one of the most overrated players in English cricket at test level. I just don't see how he can get good batsmen out since his action was revised he has lost pace and rarely swings the ball. He isn't accurate enough to build up pressure and doesn't have an accurate seam. Although Plunkett and Mahmood are far from the finished articles they at least will produce the odd wicket taking ball which is more than Anderson will.

BTW what has happened to Tremlett he seemed to have a bit about him a few years ago.
Being overrated is one thing, but he is probably better than Plunkett, in saying that, he should be picked in front of him. It's probably well established now that I am an advocator for Mahmood's inclusion in the team - so theres my choice for the 4/5th bowler position.

Just a few points to ponder for CWers.

Considering that England managed to have their top 7 score a sizeable score without any reargaurd, do you think that the selectors will think twice when picking the 'other' bowler for the next test? Add to the reasoning that Plunkett hasn't been all that penatrative.

Also. 10/11 Windies players so far have managed to reach double figures with none reaching the 3 figure mark yet. Just looks like a good scorecard.

And, England lead under 150 now - how many times have I said 5 bowlers.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Ive always been a fan of 3rd man as the ball usually only goes there after a good delivery.

Nothing more soul destroying than a good ball going for 4 through a batsmans luck. However, they still set fielders for bad balls (ie off side sweeper and deep backwards square)

As a bowler you dont mind your bad balls being hit for 4, what is annoying is the good ones being squirmed away.

3rd man rewards the bowlers for bowling well whereas defensive field placings reward the bowler for kak balls.

As a bowler I know where I would want my fielder.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ive always been a fan of 3rd man as the ball usually only goes there after a good delivery.

Nothing more soul destroying than a good ball going for 4 through a batsmans luck. However, they still set fielders for bad balls (ie off side sweeper and deep backwards square)

As a bowler you dont mind your bad balls being hit for 4, what is annoying is the good ones being squirmed away.

3rd man rewards the bowlers for bowling well whereas defensive field placings reward the bowler for kak balls.

As a bowler I know where I would want my fielder.
Yep, very well put. It's especially evident when bowling to the tail IMO.