• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breakaway Indian League - Lara, Warne, McGrath?

Athlai

Not Terrible
They are doing nothing wrong and I never said they were, obviously they can do whatever they want to make money. However the situation is a rubbish one where some of these greats will be prostituting themselves out for some sort of gimmicky and tacky competition.
Would you watch it though?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They are doing nothing wrong and I never said they were, obviously they can do whatever they want to make money. However the situation is a rubbish one where some of these greats will be prostituting themselves out for some sort of gimmicky and tacky competition.

I see where you are coming from, but if this thing, in any shape or form, results in some stars being made out of our domestic players and some kind of interest being ignited in our domestic cricket, then I am all for it. Don't really care whether the BCCI is running that domestic comp. or if some TV moghul is. Neither of these guys care about quality of cricket or cricketers as much as they care about the bottomline but at least, I expect Zee to be a wee bit more professional than the BCCI clowns.

pasag

RTDAS
I see where you are coming from, but if this thing, in any shape or form, results in some stars being made out of our domestic players and some kind of interest being ignited in our domestic cricket, then I am all for it. Don't really care whether the BCCI is running that domestic comp. or if some TV moghul is. Neither of these guys care about quality of cricket or cricketers as much as they care about the bottomline but at least, I expect Zee to be a wee bit more professional than the BCCI clowns.
Yeah from that perspective I have no problem with it at all, if it means Indian cricket can be helped and dodgy administrators being knocked into place, then there is no way it can be a bad thing from that angle. As Pratyush said, with the amount of money and natural resources at their disposal, India should be the best side in the world by a fair margin and the fact that they aren't, is poor to say the least and must be put down to administrators and politics. So if this can help rectify that in any way, then it is definitely a good thing.

pasag

RTDAS
Would you watch it though?
Yeah to see the young Indian talent, not to see the ageing stars. I never watch those 'legend' footy matches nor did I watch the recent cricket one that was on here not long ago. Really because I don't give a damn more than anything.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah from that perspective I have no problem with it at all, if it means Indian cricket can be helped and dodgy administrators being knocked into place, then there is no way it can be a bad thing from that angle. As Pratyush said, with the amount of money and natural resources at their disposal, India should be the best side in the world by a fair margin and the fact that they aren't, is poor to say the least and must be put down to administrators and politics. So if this can help rectify that in any way, then it is definitely a good thing.
Plus, I think Twenty20 format is gimmicky by itself and I don't think you will see these players play AGAINST the format that much (if u understand what I am trying to say by that)... The format of Twnety20 itself guarantees action and entertainment as defined by the majority of the spectators and these guys, if they play, will just bring in more crowds. I think they will still play in a way that gives their team the best chance of winning and will put winning before everything else, as is supposed to happen in any game of cricket. So, I don't think they will be "prostituting" or anything. They will (or at least should) just play the way they usually do, but according to the situation and type of the game.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
HAHA, what a joke, there's probably barely a single person at Zee who knows a thing about how to run a cricket league (and a proper cricket league)
I read somewhere that Zee are getting former players and experts in to help run the league and that the people running the league will be of higher caliber than most of the players.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't mention it before, but I can't see McGrath signing on. Lara and Warne maybe - but McGrath's got non-cricket issues that mean he wants to actually spend time with his family at home, and he's got enough money already...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I read somewhere that Zee are getting former players and experts in to help run the league and that the people running the league will be of higher caliber than most of the players.
Former players aren't neccessarily the best types to run leagues either.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't mention it before, but I can't see McGrath signing on. Lara and Warne maybe - but McGrath's got non-cricket issues that mean he wants to actually spend time with his family at home, and he's got enough money already...
It has been confirmed that none of those three are currently in or linked to the league.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
I don't know about that. Cricketers don't get paid an awful lot compared to other sports players, and most of it comes from advertising.
McGrath was on best part of half a million Australian per year for a lot of his career from CA, IIRC. That plus whatever he received in sponsorship - how much money do you really need? Plus I'm sure he'll do a few things to bring in some money, but I doubt playing cricket away from his home will be one of them...