• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India in Bangladesh

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neither does Tamim Iqbal, doesn't stopping them trying. Nafees and Iqbal would ideally love to be going at a strike rate of around 80 (evident in all the ‘air shots’ they play) but they usually spend the best part of their innings wofting aimlessly outside off stump. Nafees must have some resonates of ability but there is a lot of Upul Tharanga about him.
Have you seen Nafees bat? He is one of the more mature batsman that I have seen playing for Bangladesh, and he has the talent, temperament and class to be playing ODI cricket on a consistent basis. I can understand why he was dropped in the World Cup, he was in terrible form. I wouldn't mind him being given a go in the 3rd ODI though, to see if he has come back into some form. Also, I have yet to see Upul Tharanga score a Test century against Australia. Nafees is the best batsman in Bangladesh, hands down IMO.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Have you seen Nafees bat? He is one of the more mature batsman that I have seen playing for Bangladesh, and he has the talent, temperament and class to be playing ODI cricket on a consistent basis. I can understand why he was dropped in the World Cup, he was in terrible form. I wouldn't mind him being given a go in the 3rd ODI though, to see if he has come back into some form. Also, I have yet to see Upul Tharanga score a Test century against Australia. Nafees is the best batsman in Bangladesh, hands down IMO.
Yeah.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Agreed about Nafees, although I think people get a bit carried away with him at times. No doubt IMO that he's the best batsman Bangladesh have to offer, but that really isn't saying that much TBH. Personally, I don't actually think he's technically suited to opening the batting but he's always batted there it seems, and that's where vacant spot is anyway.

I was thinking about Rajin too today while I was out for lunch (yes, I do have a sad existance, lol) and while I've called for him to be in the ODI previously, I actually don't mind the fact that he's not there. He's quite obviously much more suited to test cricket - he has a very good technique, can play off the back foot and has some lovely strokes, but his effectiveness in ODIs isn't actually all that evident given the fact that he struggles to rotate the strike and doesn't really hit over the top either. Playing too many ODIs could mess with his game really, although it could also theoretically make him a better all-round player, so I'm undecided on the issue. Should definitely be #4 in the test team though, no doubt. In saying that, I also think Javed Omar should focus on his test batting as well - he only has a few shots so trying to introduce more of them could creep into his test game and see him find new ones to get out.

I'd go with this top 7 in ODIs..
Nafees, Tamim, Rahim, Saqibul, Tushar/Kapali, Ashraful, Aftab..

And this, completely different top 7 in tests..
Javed, Nafees, Bashar, Saleh, Saqibul, Ashraful, Rahim..

Tushar and Kapali have failed at international level mostly but they still have pretty impressive one day domestic records so I'd be willing to give them another go. Javed, Bashar (who is retiring from ODIs anyway) and Rajin (at this stage) should be kept away from ODIs IMO.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

Okay, this just in.....my Dad just left me an offline message on MSN.....Ashraful is seriously ill and has been taken to a good hospital.....BAD for the chap, BAD for the Bangladesh Cricket team :(.

pasag

RTDAS
Okay, this just in.....my Dad just left me an offline message on MSN.....Ashraful is seriously ill and has been taken to a good hospital.....BAD for the chap, BAD for the Bangladesh Cricket team :(.
Doesn't look too bad:

DHAKA (Reuters) - Bangladesh batsman Mohammad Ashraful is doubtful for the third and final one-dayer against India in Chittagong on Tuesday after being hospitalised with a fever, officials said.

"He is now uncertain for the next match as he was admitted to a Dhaka hospital with fever Saturday night," Bangladesh team manager Ali Ashif Khan told Reuters on Sunday.

Doctors at the hospital said the fever was not serious.

India lead the series 2-0.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

Thank God.....still that's a match where he MIGHT have done well, we never know this Ash kid :p!!!!!

Last edited:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Zaheer Khan ‘bounce’?

Khan bowls very full and anyone who has seen Zaheer will know when he does indeed try to drop it short it usually is smashed for a four or out of the ground for six.

Have not seen much of RP Singh but isn't he more of the same? A left armer who can swing the ball both ways and not extract much bounce for again he enjoys pitching the ball right up there.

Except Zaheer khan doesn't swing the ball.......Rp Singh does.
Zaheer is more a hit the seam type and not a very good one at that.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Now, the Indian fans spoil Piyush by making him a big star as they spoiled other cricketers

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
Indians beating Ban and feeeling as if they are beating Australia. Its very bad that we are not able to see a one sided match yet

R_D

International Debutant
Indians beating Ban and feeeling as if they are beating Australia. Its very bad that we are not able to see a one sided match yet
suprised to see you post really, its not like india lost this match, otherwise you'd be having a field day.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Oh.....and Piyush Chawla will become the best spinner in the world in 15 years time if he plays on a consistent basis! He is such a great spinner.....I loved his bowling from the very first ball!

This Indian lineup promises a lot for the future :D!!!!!
Ho bowled well but this is amazing optimism.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Now, the Indian fans spoil Piyush by making him a big star as they spoiled other cricketers
How have indians spoiled any players? What are u talking abt? We were WC finalists 4 yrs back and close to legends the season b4 last for trashing Sri lanka, Pakistan and England in ODIs....now that we have a bad season and dont do well enough in the WC, indian players are all spoiled! Are u saying that Sachin was great at 16 and when he joined india he was 'spoiled'?

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain
How have indians spoiled any players? What are u talking abt? We were WC finalists 4 yrs back and close to legends the season b4 last for trashing Sri lanka, Pakistan and England in ODIs....now that we have a bad season and dont do well enough in the WC, indian players are all spoiled! Are u saying that Sachin was great at 16 and when he joined india he was 'spoiled'?
Nishant, I thinkw hat Raghav is trying to say there is that when an Indian player starts going, even in just one match, he is made from a regular being to a hero.....and when he performs well over a prolonged period of time, he is given a Godly untouchable status (when he should actually be considered a hero).....and even if you are not one of such kind, majortiy are, if I am not wrong that is!

So what he means by saying that most Indian players are "spoiled" is that, they are made heroes over-night which gets to their head and soon they come crashing down after which, they are heroes no more.

A balance is required :)!

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Except Zaheer khan doesn't swing the ball.......Rp Singh does.
Zaheer is more a hit the seam type and not a very good one at that.
Well, in 2007, he has taken 18 wickets at 23.88 at an economy of 4.65. Not too shabby it would seam(;)). RP Singh has less impressive international stats, but I think we can all agree he has a far greater talent that must be maintained. With 5 mph more pace and added accuracy, his ability to swing the ball both ways could make him an all time great, but that is currently eons away obviously.

Very good point.

On a slightly related note; India have had a bad world cup. However the dropping of Ganguly and Tendulkar from ODIs has signalled an intension to build a unified equal feel in ODIs and also a more youthful presence. India have turned this bad and attempted to make good. This is surely a forward step. The defeat of a team with three spinners on spinning wickets without the two most established batsman is very positive.

Last edited:

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Oh.....and Piyush Chawla will become the best spinner in the world in 15 years time if he plays on a consistent basis! He is such a great spinner.....I loved his bowling from the very first ball!

This Indian lineup promises a lot for the future :D!!!!!
Nishant, I thinkw hat Raghav is trying to say there is that when an Indian player starts going, even in just one match, he is made from a regular being to a hero.....and when he performs well over a prolonged period of time, he is given a Godly untouchable status (when he should actually be considered a hero).....and even if you are not one of such kind, majortiy are, if I am not wrong that is!

So what he means by saying that most Indian players are "spoiled" is that, they are made heroes over-night which gets to their head and soon they come crashing down after which, they are heroes no more.

A balance is required :)!
Egg-jhaktly

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain
Egg-jhaktly
Read:

"if he plays on a consistent basis"

Firstly, I am not an Indian, and secondly, I do not make someone a hero over night and bring him down. I have hopes for Piyush Chawla and will be supporting him through thick and thin. Plus I never said he couldn't take a fall :p!

Nishant

International 12th Man
Read:

"if he plays on a consistent basis"

Firstly, I am not an Indian, and secondly, I do not make someone a hero over night and bring him down. I have hopes for Piyush Chawla and will be supporting him through thick and thin. Plus I never said he couldn't take a fall :p!
i do agree with the fact that many indian fans do make players 'heroes' overnight...but im not one of them. I do recognise talent and nevr bring them down after they have a fall. Eg. with sehwag, if he scores a big one now, it wont change my opinion of him....

The reason i think it is wrong to say that all indian players are spoiled is because both sides are not looked at. Yes, they are made heroes earlier than the aussie players or the English players etc etc...but they have a greater weight of expectation on the shoulders to go with it. They get more fame than other cricketers, but with that they get more threat than other players. Players from england are not made heroes in one performance...but just because a Kevin Pieterson or a Flintoff does not do well...english fans dont start carrying out funeral processions of the players and burn their effigies...or cause harm to their families. The fact that indian players have to deal with this a lot more surely suggests that they are not so 'spoiled' after all.