• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden vs Hussain

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The figures were for games post 2000 not for games in 2000 you pedant :@

And if you think they were weak attacks in 2001/02 then you are deluding yourself even more.

In fact they are probably superior than those from the mid-90s when they were just still finding their feet at Test level.

The attacks you are accusing of being poor that he averaged 82 against include Donald, Pollock, Kallis, Ntini, Hayward, Nel, Klusener. If only one of them was as good as Dominic Cork eh?

Christ you are crazy

The quality of the SA attacks didnt change from the mid-90s to the very early 2000's yet Haydens average did. Ergo Hayden changed and improved.
The attack of 2001\02 was certainly awful - Donald was no longer up to much, Pollock was poor on flat pitches by then, Kallis and Klusener likewise, Hayward was never especially outstanding (though he had his moments), and Ntini was not particularly good back then.

The relatively good attack of 2005\06 was just slightly negated by the abysmal catching.

I can't believe you think those attacks were a patch on those such as Donald-deVilliers-Matthews-McMillan or Donald-Pollock-Kallis-Klusener of the late 1990s.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe we should not debate with you about English players or you are just saying Hussain>Hayden because you are English like you are saying Aussies are saying Hayden>Hussain because they are Aussies? A bit dire this tbh.
I'd be surprised if any non-Englishman would say such a thing, yes. But it's not just because I'm English. There are many Australians I rate above Englishmen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard if you could come up with some valid points, I would tell you, but you just havent.

So basically, you find it pointless debating with someone who has watched and played the game since well before you were born, has watched and played the sport in both Australia and UK, and has a definate soft spot for England, and in fact someone who actually has a lot of time for Hussain as a batsman and a captain and a commentator...well at least i know where I stand!!!

But he still isnt close to being the batsman hayden is:)
He wasn't as good against spin or on flat tracks, no.

But he was better against the seaming and swinging ball, and mostly top-order batsmen need to be capable in that area.

Swervy

International Captain
I'd be surprised if any non-Englishman would say such a thing, yes. But it's not just because I'm English. There are many Australians I rate above Englishmen.
and there are plenty of English players I rate higher than Austrlain players throughout my watching life..what does that prove?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
and there are plenty of English players I rate higher than Austrlain players throughout my watching life..what does that prove?
But are there any of the best English players you'd rate above the best Australians?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A lot of Englishmen are saying Hayden>Hussain. So to even imply bias is why the Aussies are saying Hayden>Hussain is dire.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A lot of Englishmen are saying Hayden>Hussain. So to even imply bias why the Aussies are saying Hayden>Hussain is dire.
One Englishman is, in fact. Kev.

Not many other Englishmen have posted on this thread in recent times.

Swervy

International Captain
One Englishman is, in fact. Kev.

Not many other Englishmen have posted on this thread in recent times.
now you are just looking paranoid...you cant 'win' the debate because there are no english fans around...pretty pretty poor

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
now you are just looking paranoid...you cant 'win' the debate because there are no english fans around...pretty pretty poor
No, that's not what I'm implying at all.

Just that I'm even less likely to be able to convince guys like you and KaZo than I am Englishmen. And KaZo especially, as he's even more, shall we say, patriotic than you.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Just that I'm even less likely to be able to convince guys like you and KaZo than I am Englishmen. And KaZo especially, as he's even more, shall we say, patriotic than you.
You are saying Aussies though and not guys like x,y,z in your initial post.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

Haha, me patriotic? Then what are you dear Richard? When you catch me trying to argue that Shane Watson is better than Ian Botham, I think I'll just have reached your level of 'patriotism'.

BTW, if Swervy can't be said to have a slight love for England, because he isn't originally English, than I couldn't be much of an Aussie then either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, me patriotic? Then what are you dear Richard? When you catch me trying to argue that Shane Watson is better than Ian Botham, I think I'll just have reached your level of 'patriotism'.

BTW, if Swervy can't be said to have a slight love for England, because he isn't originally English, than I couldn't be much of an Aussie then either.
I'm far, far less likely to argue a case for someone just because he's English than you are just because he's Aussie, I'm afraid. I've been accused by countless people of hatred of English players down the years.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I'm saying Aussies are less likely to believe in the inferiority of someone who's made such a contribution to their teams' success.
Don't see why the patriotic angle should be brought in in a debate which is going on. People can believe x,y,z but they can't back it up with logical proofs just because they are biased.