• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden vs Hussain

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yousuf Youhana in 1998 and 99:

1998 (age: 23y 127d) 7 12 1 448 120* 75 64 40.72 1 4 0
1999 (24y 127d) 8 15 0 449 95 83 75 29.93 0 5 3

filtered 15 27 1 897 120* 95 83 34.50 1 9 3

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dont go to bed yet. :)

I just want to point out 1 more thing.

Im going to take strong SA attacks (using Donalds careers as a marker)

In the 90s Hayden averaged 12 against such other worldly attacks including such players as Donald, Pollock, Kallis, Klusener, de Villiers etc. Obviously he would fail against such a good attack as Hayden is rubbish. We all know that.

However, by Richards logic the attack by 2000 had suddenly become terrible and Hayden (after 2000 and before Donald retired) averaged 82 against bowlers such as Donald, Pollock, Kallis, Nel, Ntini etc. Wait...how is that possible?

The quality of the attacks didnt change in this regard and this is the closest you will get to a blind experiment. Hayden changed.

Case Closed

Now bedtime for us all.
Hayden didn't play South Africa in 2000, he played them next in 2001\02, by which time their attack was patently almost as poor as the rest.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We are here all night. Please answer it.
I'm not here all night, and I've wasted enough time with this already.

I'm not going to leave posts unresponded, but quite patently I'm not going to convince Aussies (or Kev) of Hussain's superiority to Hayden.

Swervy

International Captain
Yousuf Youhana in 1998 and 99:

1998 (age: 23y 127d) 7 12 1 448 120* 75 64 40.72 1 4 0
1999 (24y 127d) 8 15 0 449 95 83 75 29.93 0 5 3
oh dont get me on Yousuf...I seem to remember debating with Richard about him as well

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
and thats it..his best spell..he averaged 42!!!! Brilliant
Against the bowlers he was mostly facing, it's certainly not bad. It was more than Hayden did against such bowlers in his first 21 Tests... and yes, the periods do not coincide exactly, but Hussain's complete loss of form in January 2000 renders anything for the next 15 months for him irrelevant.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

I'm not going to leave posts unresponded, but quite patently I'm not going to convince Aussies (or Kev) of Hussain's superiority to Hayden.
Soft.

Swervy

International Captain

look , I am not some Aussie homer, so dont just put this down to being an Aussie thing, its quite disrespectful to be honest to those of us who have in fact being debating in a reasonable and logical manner

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
look , I am not some Aussie homer, so dont just put this down to being an Aussie thing, its quite disrespectful to be honest to those of us who have in fact being debating in a reasonable and logical manner
Sorry, being Aussie will make a difference, regardless of living arrangements.

Not that most others won't also believe Hayden to be the better, of course. But it'd be pretty pointless debating it with Aussies, as yourself and KaZo show.

Swervy

International Captain
Against the bowlers he was mostly facing, it's certainly not bad. It was more than Hayden did against such bowlers in his first 21 Tests... and yes, the periods do not coincide exactly, but Hussain's complete loss of form in January 2000 renders anything for the next 15 months for him irrelevant.
Thats me for the night, that has sapped the soul out of me:laugh:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

Not that most others won't also believe Hayden to be the better, of course. But it'd be pretty pointless debating it with Aussies, as yourself and KaZo show.
Yes, of course, because it's our bias that seems to get in the way. And if not that, we always HAVE to be right. :ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hayden didn't play South Africa in 2000, he played them next in 2001\02, by which time their attack was patently almost as poor as the rest.
The figures were for games post 2000 not for games in 2000 you pedant :@

And if you think they were weak attacks in 2001/02 then you are deluding yourself even more.

In fact they are probably superior than those from the mid-90s when they were just still finding their feet at Test level.

The attacks you are accusing of being poor that he averaged 82 against include Donald, Pollock, Kallis, Ntini, Hayward, Nel, Klusener. If only one of them was as good as Dominic Cork eh?

Christ you are crazy

The quality of the SA attacks didnt change from the mid-90s to the very early 2000's yet Haydens average did. Ergo Hayden changed and improved.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

Maybe we should not debate with you about English players or you are just saying Hussain>Hayden because you are English like you are saying Aussies are saying Hayden>Hussain because they are Aussies? A bit dire this tbh.

Swervy

International Captain

Richard if you could come up with some valid points, I would tell you, but you just havent.

So basically, you find it pointless debating with someone who has watched and played the game since well before you were born, has watched and played the sport in both Australia and UK, and has a definate soft spot for England, and in fact someone who actually has a lot of time for Hussain as a batsman and a captain and a commentator...well at least i know where I stand!!!

But he still isnt close to being the batsman hayden is:)