• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hayden vs Hussain

Swervy

International Captain
To suggest that every single case would be the same is crazy.

Hayden's average had he started in 1989, say, would almost certainly be a good 30 runs lower.
I am sure Hayden would have found the odd ball to hit even in the late 80s, when the ball swing around the stadium twice before pitching and always hit top of off stump, no matter who was bowling

by the way, the bowling around the world wasnt all that great back then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So for years he though, "hmm, I could work on my game here or I can waste the time and twiddle with my balls for a few years and be exactly the same player"?

Frankly its impossible to know the mental changes that happen within a batsman and there are small technical things you would never pick up on.

Its quite possible the most idiotic and egotistical thing Ive heard is that you can announce that Hayden was exactly the same player and that you possess the knowledge to state it.
It takes more than a few little changes to become a decent player from what Hayden was in 1999 and 2000.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Hussain played just 11 Tests in the subcontinent, one tour in which he fell ill and the other which came during the worst period of his career, during which he was abysmal everywhere.
13 tests is a huge assessment basis if you think 8 tests suffice, I would have thought. Hayden v Hussain in the subcontinent, there is a start difference. Hayden ALSO played just 15 tests in the subcontinent.

Hayden: in Asia 15 27 1 1429 203 130 119 54.96 4 6 0

Hussain: in Asia 13 25 2 653 109 95 85 28.39 1 5 2

Hussain failed as a player in Asia. End of. Whether it was emotional issues or technical ability or whatever, when we compare the two, this aspect weighs heavily in favour of Hayden.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sure sure. 9 tests out of 96 tests Hussain averaged 40+...WHAT A LEGEND! Screw Hayden, Hussain should be nicknamed "The Nas". :laugh:
Will you stop trying to put down Hussain and instead concentrate on the fact that I am putting down Hayden? 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
13 tests is a huge assessment basis if you think 8 tests suffice, I would have thought. Hayden v Hussain in the subcontinent, there is a start difference. Hayden ALSO played just 15 tests in the subcontinent.

Hayden: in Asia 15 27 1 1429 203 130 119 54.96 4 6 0

Hussain: in Asia 13 25 2 653 109 95 85 28.39 1 5 2

Hussain failed as a player in Asia. End of. Whether it was emotional issues or technical ability or whatever, when we compare the two, this aspect weighs heavily in favour of Hayden.
I don't think 8 Tests suffice. I think 21 do, though.

And yes, Hayden was indeed a better player of spin than Hussain.

Swervy

International Captain
Will you stop trying to put down Hussain and instead concentrate on the fact that I am putting down Hayden? 8-)
Its fair game..to be honest, its up to you to prove Hussains superiorty, given the pro-Hayden corner has every single bit of evidence to show you havent a clue

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am sure Hayden would have found the odd ball to hit even in the late 80s, when the ball swing around the stadium twice before pitching and always hit top of off stump, no matter who was bowling

by the way, the bowling around the world wasnt all that great back then.
So? There was less of a change between 1996\97 and 1997\98 than there was between 2000\01 and 2001\02.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Its fair game..to be honest, its up to you to prove Hussains superiorty, given the pro-Hayden corner has every single bit of evidence to show you havent a clue
I have all the evidence I need, I have proven Hayden to be less than the average Test batsman of the 1990s as far as I'm concerned.

Swervy

International Captain
I have all the evidence I need, I have proven Hayden to be less than the average Test batsman of the 1990s as far as I'm concerned.
but you fail to recognise that a) that time span makes up only 10% of Haydens career
b) players do actually develop and change with time. No matter what you say, hayden is NOT the same batsman as he was 14 years ago

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When you come up with a statement like:
M
You should be concentrating more on Hussain than Hayden.
No, I shouldn't. Hussain averaged over 40 between 1996 and 1999. Simple as. That proves he was a good player at that time.

Hayden was not. And it's that which is the issue.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, you proved that in the 90s, where Hayden played 7 test matches - years apart - that he wasn't such a great. :clapping:

Goodnight folks.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I just did. I stated it's not as simple as looking at things exactly decade-by-decade. "1990s" and "2000s" are nothing but shorthand terms.
No you didnt. Roope faced the same attacks that Gooch did and averaged 4 times more. By your logic (by only taking the periods Hayden and Hussain played at the same time) Roope must be the better player.

Its a stupid argument.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
but you fail to recognise that a) that time span makes up only 10% of Haydens career
b) players do actually develop and change with time. No matter what you say, hayden is NOT the same batsman as he was 14 years ago
I don't give a **** how much of his career it makes-up - it'd make-up near enough all of it had the quality of bowling not deteriorated in 2001\02.