• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India in Bangladesh

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
the same case can be made for tendulkar as well, he has been really poor in tests and ok overall in one dayers, but he has been dropped from one dayers and retained in tests...
Absolutely.

That is why I think this might have more to do with his 'mouthing off' about what the caoch said about him "if he said so" and other related issues.

It is sad how we refuse to drop/rest (take your pick its the same for me) a star player when he is actually out of form. If Sachin had been dropped earlier (in tests) he himself would have been spared the public apathy that he faces today. Then bringing him back after sometime would have been greeted with cheers and would have been, anyway, the right way to do things.

But in our caste system of players, stars and Megastars its the caste system that works. Then like evry such biased system it crosses all limits and you may see reverse rascism/bias . We are witnessing something similar in our cricket today.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
In the meantime, comes the news that Chappell is going to head the Australian Cricket Academy. If true, then it could be the best thing that has happened for world cricket.

Now even Ireland has a chance of beating Australia sooner than later."[/I] :laugh: :laugh:
did you really think that was funny? i thought that was pretty juvenile and a cheap shot apropos of nothing and of a standard that schoolkids would come up with...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
i thought that was pretty juvenile and a cheap shot apropos of nothing and of a standard that schoolkids would come up with...
Which is nothing new for Mr Gavaskar who has also said the following....

- "To call a crowd 'a crowd' in Jamaica is a misnomer. It should be called a mob - these people still belong to the jungles and forests instead of civilised societies."
- speaking of the 1976 tour​

He also has a massive chip on his shoulder about being a patriotic Indian and will speak out for real and often imagined slights of Indian players and teams. That maybe fine for some but once Mr gavaskar decides he is against some one (like say the Australian team) he will find every opportunity to bad-mouth them. Undoing a lot of his own criticism of the 'loud-mouthed' Aussies by this show of I-can-be-as-biased-as-anyone-else.

Here are some more gems from a glittering career after he laid his broad bat down..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
While on SMG

What he said about the late David Hookes (in the context of Aussie behaviour) is too recent to need repetition here.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
And yes he IS kept on various committees because he is 'saanp ke munh mein chhipkali" (An Indian proverb litrally meaning a lizard in a snakes mouth. Myth has it that if the snake swallows it he will die and if he spits it out he will go blind)

Gavaskar is far too powerful for the BCCI to ignore him. He also has that larger than life image in India and is associated with 'cricketing knowledge' in India. It lends various committees some gravitas having Gavaskar's name associated with them.

BCCI would like Mr Gavaskar to fade away really and Mr Gavaskar would like to be Mr BCCI.

And, of course, he would like BCCI to have never given the media rights to anyone except ESPN-Star, Mr Gavaskar's employers. Thats the big one.

Everyone else involved in cricket in India would like to speak of what they think of SMG (not his cricket mind you) only in private. That is power :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Here are some more gems from a glittering career after he laid his broad bat down..
well, there are some valid comments of his as well in that article, not the insult to the jamaican crowd of course, that was quite abominable....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
well, there are some valid comments of his as well in that article, not the insult to the jamaican crowd of course, that was quite abominable....
Yes there are but someone of his eminence needs to be more moderate in their choice of words in public. The same points can be made fairly eloquently without sounding offensive and there are many who do exactly that.

Gavaskar likes to carry a sword like Bishan Bedi but he hasnt suffered on account of it as Bedi rightly has.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
His test bowling average speaks for himself than anything else. I feel he is a spent force in both forms now.
He hasn't been playing Tests for the last year or so and isn't even in the frame for it so his test performance is irrelevant.
Anil, would you care to list 5 better current Indian bowlers, limited overs only? I say 5 because if we did have 5, he wouldn't be in the side.
I don't think, in spite of my protestations to the contrary, that AA is a great bowler but give the guy some credit for performing better than other bowlers at least in the last year or so.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Ah Anil you are being grossly unfair to our AA. He IS one of our better bowlers once every four years or so. You cant drop him and miss that once-in-four-years performance, can you ?

:)
I'm sorry, what? He HAS been dropped for this tour hasn't he?
I just happen to think he has been in the "not too good not too bad" category for the past year. So numbers wise, I don't a see a reason to drop him. However, if he is only ever going to play ODIs and if the selectors in their collective wisdom feel they can find someone who can do as good a job but is younger, there is no reason why he shouldn't be tried.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
did you really think that was funny? i thought that was pretty juvenile and a cheap shot apropos of nothing and of a standard that schoolkids would come up with...
Chappell doesn't deserve anything better. After milking Indian Cricket for two years he tells that it is run like Zimbabwe and yet again he goes off in the media about Ganguly. I am just glad that there is someone in the Indian cricket who can respond in kind.

And yes it was juvenile and cheap but funny.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And yes he IS kept on various committees because he is 'saanp ke munh mein chhipkali" (An Indian proverb litrally meaning a lizard in a snakes mouth. Myth has it that if the snake swallows it he will die and if he spits it out he will go blind)

Gavaskar is far too powerful for the BCCI to ignore him. He also has that larger than life image in India and is associated with 'cricketing knowledge' in India. It lends various committees some gravitas having Gavaskar's name associated with them.

BCCI would like Mr Gavaskar to fade away really and Mr Gavaskar would like to be Mr BCCI.

And, of course, he would like BCCI to have never given the media rights to anyone except ESPN-Star, Mr Gavaskar's employers. Thats the big one.

Everyone else involved in cricket in India would like to speak of what they think of SMG (not his cricket mind you) only in private. That is power :)
Thanks for the insider information, SJS. Now we truly know the real Gavaskar. Where would we be without our resident Enquirer reporter. :unsure:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Thanks for the insider information, SJS. Now we truly know the real Gavaskar. Where would we be without our resident Enquirer reporter. :unsure:
:laugh: I was about to reply some thing but knew waiting for a response from you would be the better approach.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: I was about to reply some thing but knew waiting for a response from you would be the better approach.
Well you know what I dont like Gavaskar much because IMO he never wants to accept any challenging job(e.g. coaching) yet always tries to be the harshest critic, but to attack him like that is really distasteful.

Unlike some phonies who try to portray themselves as the caretaker of Indian Cricket, Gavaskar has earned his place in the Indian Cricket.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I'm sorry, what? He HAS been dropped for this tour hasn't he?
I just happen to think he has been in the "not too good not too bad" category for the past year. So numbers wise, I don't a see a reason to drop him. However, if he is only ever going to play ODIs and if the selectors in their collective wisdom feel they can find someone who can do as good a job but is younger, there is no reason why he shouldn't be tried.

But is Zaheer Khan necessarily a better ODI option than AA ?

I don't think he his.....add to the fcat that AA is alo one of the few guys in the Indian team with a strong arm from the outfield.....he should have been retained.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Zaheer Khan should be the first fast bowler named on the team sheet, India need his experience with their lack of other senior bowling options at the moment. He is a steady performer, although he won't often run through a side he is got at keeping it tight and applying the pressure, often resulting in the other bowler taking a wicket due to this built up pressure and lack of easy runs.

That's the biggest load of rubbish i"ve heard. Zaheer Khan leaked nearly 4 runs an over during his 'successful' county stint and has an economy rate of over 3 runs an over.
He is the last person you want, to keep things on a tight leash.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
But is Zaheer Khan necessarily a better ODI option than AA ?

I don't think he his.....add to the fcat that AA is alo one of the few guys in the Indian team with a strong arm from the outfield.....he should have been retained.
Well to be fair to Zaheer, he has usually performed better than AA since his return.