• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India in Bangladesh

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
By the way do you see the logic in dropping Sehwag FOR TEST matches in these figures ??
:)
nope, but I have stopped looking for the L word in INdian selections quite a while back. :)

And if you are as smart as you sound, you would do that too. ;)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nope, but I have stopped looking for the L word in INdian selections quite a while back. :)

And if you are as smart as you sound, you would do that too. ;)
But do you see how their is no hue and cry in the media. Bet they cant tell the difference between tests and ODI's except the number of days :)

They are just unhappy that he (Sehwag) wasnt punished enough by being dropped from both formats.

So many of them have written and finally yesterday an idiot finallyasked Vengsarkar why selectors were paying only lip service to the policy of taking youngsters when so many of the youngsters in the team had already made their debuts !!!

Can you beat that ??

In Indian media terms you are an oldie the day after your debut :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
By the way do you see the logic in dropping Sehwag FOR TEST matches in these figures ??
An average of 37 is hardly great, regardless of his aggregate. Not to mention the fact that of recent times, his technique has been greatly exposed and bowlers seem to have figured him out to a degree.

In saying that though, dropping him from the test side and not the ODI side makes no sense at all, given the fact that he is a much better test player than he is an ODI player.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No its not but the point I was making was why he was dropped in tests and kept for one dayers. It is in one dayers that he failed really miserably.
Agreed. It makes no sense at all. I would have dropped him from both forms really.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sehwag was retained in odis because he made around 50 in the last match. He plays too fast for tests. So he was dropped from the longer version. Simple really.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sehwag was retained in odis because he made around 50 in the last match. He plays too fast for tests. So he was dropped from the longer version. Simple really.
Nothing wrong with playing fast. His major problem is he doesn't score enough runs on a consistent basis. But I know one thing for sure - bowling attacks would be more afraid bowling to him then to Jaffer and Kartick.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But do you see how their is no hue and cry in the media. Bet they cant tell the difference between tests and ODI's except the number of days :)

They are just unhappy that he (Sehwag) wasnt punished enough by being dropped from both formats.

So many of them have written and finally yesterday an idiot finallyasked Vengsarkar why selectors were paying only lip service to the policy of taking youngsters when so many of the youngsters in the team had already made their debuts !!!

Can you beat that ??

In Indian media terms you are an oldie the day after your debut :laugh:
yeah, that is indeed funny. I just hope it doesn't reach the point when the only way one can be YOUNG is by being YET to be born. ;)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Nothing wrong with playing fast. His major problem is he doesn't score enough runs on a consistent basis. But I know one thing for sure - bowling attacks would be more afraid bowling to him then to Jaffer and Kartick.
It was a sarcastic post...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You are absolutely correct.

How can scoring fast be an issue if you average 50 in tests. It can only be an advantage. How many players in test history have averaged 50 and have a strike rate over 75.

Of course a player can be dropped if, as you rightly point out, he is not performimng consistently enough or if he is badly out of form irrespective of his rate of scoring and career average. In Sehwag's case he was doning marginally worse than his overall career record but not in a complete mess as say Sachin has been for quite some time now in test matches.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
SJS, chill..
btw, I think there is more to the issue than pure numbers, otherwise Harbhajan and AA our top ranked and hence "best" bowlers wouldn't have been dropped.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
SJS, chill..
btw, I think there is more to the issue than pure numbers, otherwise Harbhajan and AA our top ranked and hence "best" bowlers wouldn't have been dropped.
Harbhajan should have been dropped earlier. Agarkar....well what to say without being asked to chill :)

And I am cool :)

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Harbhajan should have been dropped earlier. Agarkar....well what to say without being asked to chill :)

And I am cool :)
Ofcourse, I agree with dropping Harbhajan.
About AA, I have to object as a matter of principle :) though I can't see much wrong there.
Sehwag was doing better in Tests than in ODIs but that isn't saying much. His dropping is more a slap on the wrist than anything else and I for one, don't think it matters which form he should have been dropped on. The only thing I would criticize the selection committee for is erring on the side of leniency. The fatso should have been dropped from both forms.

Finally, the "chill" was because Pratyush's comment was very much tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be taken seriously.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ofcourse, I agree with dropping Harbhajan.
About AA, I have to object as a matter of principle :) though I can't see much wrong there.
Sehwag was doing better in Tests than in ODIs but that isn't saying much. His dropping is more a slap on the wrist than anything else and I for one, don't think it matters which form he should have been dropped on. The only thing I would criticize the selection committee for is erring on the side of leniency. The fatso should have been dropped from both forms.

Finally, the "chill" was because Pratyush's comment was very much tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be taken seriously.
Having said all that we have all said, I think I agree with you that something is 'fishy' about all the decisions taken this time.

It would appear that the board has given a patient hearing to whatever Greg Chappell had to say about the problems on tour. This can only mean that Jagdale's report (or even verbal briefing) supported what Chappell had to say.

All those who were said to be in a group within the team appear to have been dealt with although in different ways. Tendulkar, Ganguly, Zaheer, Harbhajan and Sehwag

Yuvraj has also been silenced by a public rebuke and a clear decision not to make him vice captain.

If this is disciplining a mob and if it is based on an objective and correct assessment of the situation, its high time this was done. But we may not know till at least one of the protagonists writes a book.

Also Dravid has been boosted, in a way. Greg treated with lots of respect and people who supported Greg like Shastri have been heard and those in the other camp like Gavasker......

No you have a point there. One has been thinking about it but the evidence is all circumstancial.

Agarkar's might be a genuine dropping.

PS : The beauty is that even on cricketing grounds there was some justification in most cases.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
.. people who supported Greg like Shastri have been heard and those in the other camp like Gavasker......

Ofcourse... ;)
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/292021.html

Sharad Pawar, the board president, will head the committee which also includes former captains Sunil Gavaskar, Ravi Shastri and S Venkataraghavan

And tht announcement was made after Gavaskar wrote the following :-

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Story...2-3b8f-4e43-80c5-40bad4ea37dc&&IsCricket=true

"....It’s never easy sacking somebody, however incapable and inefficient, but to give another job which deals with the future of Indian cricket, makes one wonder if we will ever get out of the inferiority complex syndrome.

In the meantime, comes the news that Chappell is going to head the Australian Cricket Academy. If true, then it could be the best thing that has happened for world cricket.

Now even Ireland has a chance of beating Australia sooner than later."
:laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Having said all that we have all said, I think I agree with you that something is 'fishy' about all the decisions taken this time.

It would appear that the board has given a patient hearing to whatever Greg Chappell had to say about the problems on tour. This can only mean that Jagdale's report (or even verbal briefing) supported what Chappell had to say.

All those who were said to be in a group within the team appear to have been dealt with although in different ways. Tendulkar, Ganguly, Zaheer, Harbhajan and Sehwag

Yuvraj has also been silenced by a public rebuke and a clear decision not to make him vice captain.

If this is disciplining a mob and if it is based on an objective and correct assessment of the situation, its high time this was done. But we may not know till at least one of the protagonists writes a book.

Also Dravid has been boosted, in a way. Greg treated with lots of respect and people who supported Greg like Shastri have been heard and those in the other camp like Gavasker......

No you have a point there. One has been thinking about it but the evidence is all circumstancial.

Agarkar's might be a genuine dropping.

PS : The beauty is that even on cricketing grounds there was some justification in most cases.
I think even the cricketing reasons are good enough. Sehwag and Harbhajan should be made to realise that they can't just stay on in the team based on the past.
About AA, I think he is one of our better ODI bowlers but he isn't doing anything special, unfortunately, and it makes sense to try others in his place though I don't think VRV or even RP is the right guy.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
No its not but the point I was making was why he was dropped in tests and kept for one dayers. It is in one dayers that he failed really miserably.
the same case can be made for tendulkar as well, he has been really poor in tests and ok overall in one dayers, but he has been dropped from one dayers and retained in tests...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
i don't think so, if he actually is, it just shows the pathetic state of our bowling resources....
Ah Anil you are being grossly unfair to our AA. He IS one of our better bowlers once every four years or so. You cant drop him and miss that once-in-four-years performance, can you ?