• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** India in Bangladesh

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
So you would play two young and inexperienced seamers in Sreesanth and Munaf? Those two are likely to bring down or completely lose it, they aren't ready to spearhead the attack yet. Add Ramesh Powar to that bowling attack and it's just to inexperienced, I would definately be backing Bangladesh for a decent score.
Zaheer Khan is a waste in Test cricket. Never among the wickets in a big way, except for those unplayable wickets in Newzealand, where he got consecutive 5 wicket hauls. I believe Ramesh Powar would make a decent test match spinner.

Let it be inexperienced and let bangladesh make a huge score. the question is trying youngsters and judging how they perform. If you cant do that against Bangladesh, I cant tell against whom we can do that. May be we have to wait until Kenya, Zimbabwe starts playing Test cricket.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
just being strokeless does not qualify him to play tests for India. I dont think he either has the technique or temparament for test matches.

I totally disagree with this. Perhaps, he is the one to be given the maximum chances to prove himself, mostly biased by his knock in final in England. Many complained he batted very low. Whenever had come at the top of the order, his strike rate is pathetic even against minnow teams, he make the bowling look unplayable and he puts extra pressure on the batsmen at the other end.

There are better players waiting for their chance like Badrinath, Pujara and even Yashpal Singh, who has performed outstandingly well. Unless you give chances to these players, how would you actually test them?

For me, back-door entry should be totally done away with, unless there is an extra-ordinary talent like Sachin.

Otherwise the conventional selection route should be Ranji,Duleep for tests, Deodhar for ODIs.
Claiming he doesn't have the temperament for Test match cricket is pretty ridiculous, consider the pressure he was under when he made his 91 against England. His century in the West Indies was on a pretty flat deck against an average attack, but he still managed to score the runs. While he hasn't been a great performer at First Class level I think it's pretty clear he would make a decent middle order batsman for India, he has proved in his Test career so far that he can do the job.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Claiming he doesn't have the temperament for Test match cricket is pretty ridiculous, consider the pressure he was under when he made his 91 against England. His century in the West Indies was on a pretty flat deck against an average attack, but he still managed to score the runs. While he hasn't been a great performer at First Class level I think it's pretty clear he would make a decent middle order batsman for India, he has proved in his Test career so far that he can do the job.
That is why i said dont be biased by that one knock against England. If he were to have the temparament, he should have made it big in the domestic. A classic example is VVS, who kept making huges scores, which he was able to replicate at the international level. This is a clear case what you do in Ranji/Duleep is a better indicator than these backdoor wildcards.

Kaif is not even an average performer, let alone speak about greatness.

IMHO, I feel there are better players than him and their record in FC speaks for them. Age level should be a platform for selection to the state teams and not for the Indian team.

Perm

Zaheer Khan is a waste in Test cricket. Never among the wickets in a big way, except for those unplayable wickets in Newzealand, where he got consecutive 5 wicket hauls. I believe Ramesh Powar would make a decent test match spinner.

Let it be inexperienced and let bangladesh make a huge score. the question is trying youngsters and judging how they perform. If you cant do that against Bangladesh, I cant tell against whom we can do that. May be we have to wait until Kenya, Zimbabwe starts playing Test cricket.
Zaheer Khan should be the first fast bowler named on the team sheet, India need his experience with their lack of other senior bowling options at the moment. He is a steady performer, although he won't often run through a side he is got at keeping it tight and applying the pressure, often resulting in the other bowler taking a wicket due to this built up pressure and lack of easy runs.

Ramesh Powar needs to get his fitness issues sorted, he is a big guy and definately needs to get into better shape and lose some weight if he is to be considered for Test match selection IMO. I'm all for playing a younger lineup but when you go into a Test with 3 of your bowlers having 15 caps between them, then you've gone too far. A bowling attack needs experience and Zaheer is the perffect one to lend the experience. 5 bowlers is always a possibilty if you feel Powar deserves to be in the team.

Perm

That is why i said dont be biased by that one knock against England. If he were to have the temparament, he should have made it big in the domestic. A classic example is VVS, who kept making huges scores, which he was able to replicate at the international level. This is a clear case what you do in Ranji/Duleep is a better indicator than these backdoor wildcards.

Kaif is not even an average performer, let alone speak about greatness.

IMHO, I feel there are better players than him and their record in FC speaks for them. Age level should be a platform for selection to the state teams and not for the Indian team.
The same VVS Laxman who has been haunted by inconsistency for his whole Test career and only plays exceptional knocks when Australia come knocking? First Class records aren't everything you know, some players have really average FC numbers yet turn out to be pretty decent, Marcus Trescothick is a fine example. They are only an indicator, nothing more.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Zaheer Khan should be the first fast bowler named on the team sheet, India need his experience with their lack of other senior bowling options at the moment. He is a steady performer, although he won't often run through a side he is got at keeping it tight and applying the pressure, often resulting in the other bowler taking a wicket due to this built up pressure and lack of easy runs.

Ramesh Powar needs to get his fitness issues sorted, he is a big guy and definately needs to get into better shape and lose some weight if he is to be considered for Test match selection IMO. I'm all for playing a younger lineup but when you go into a Test with 3 of your bowlers having 15 caps between them, then you've gone too far. A bowling attack needs experience and Zaheer is the perffect one to lend the experience. 5 bowlers is always a possibilty if you feel Powar deserves to be in the team.
As you say, we have to agree Zaheer will never run throuh sides ( 9 wickers in England county is an aberration). And as you who will do the job at the other end. I feel all four bowlers to get selected should be genuine wicket takers. Sreesanth has proved it and Munaf is young, needs time. 15 caps among 3 bowlers should not be an excuse to a perennial loser like Zaheer.

And on fitness side, Powar is a better fielder than Zaheer, Zaheer most of the times seems disinterested in fielding. I dont being big, not in shape should not come to play when selecting, especially in test matches. All we need are wicket takers. For me, Ramesh Powar looks fitter than Zaheer or if not, he is not disinterested in fielding.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
The same VVS Laxman who has been haunted by inconsistency for his whole Test career and only plays exceptional knocks when Australia come knocking? First Class records aren't everything you know, some players have really average FC numbers yet turn out to be pretty decent, Marcus Trescothick is a fine example. They are only an indicator, nothing more.
Nope, he had played really well against WI in WI and back home.

If they are one of the indicators, what are the other indicators for selection?

Trescothink is one success, i will tell you a list of failures, James Troughton, Robert Key, etc. are wildcards who failed miserably and also Owais Shah.

What i say, look outside the 15 or 20 and try to test players who could come out with flying colours, who knows. That is why i feel, Badri,Pujara and Yashpal deserve more than Kaif.

Perm

As you say, we have to agree Zaheer will never run throuh sides ( 9 wickers in England county is an aberration). And as you who will do the job at the other end. I feel all four bowlers to get selected should be genuine wicket takers. Sreesanth has proved it and Munaf is young, needs time. 15 caps among 3 bowlers should not be an excuse to a perennial loser like Zaheer.

And on fitness side, Powar is a better fielder than Zaheer, Zaheer most of the times seems disinterested in fielding. I dont being big, not in shape should not come to play when selecting, especially in test matches. All we need are wicket takers. For me, Ramesh Powar looks fitter than Zaheer or if not, he is not disinterested in fielding.
Zaheer went away and worked really hard on his bowling and was rewarded with that by a heap of FC wickets in England, which he deserved. It depends what you mean by "wicket takers", are they going to be taking wickets by building up the pressure or are they spraying it all over the place and likely to get 6/130 off 25 overs? There should be no way that a bowling attack should contain a debutant, as well as two guys who hadn't played 10 Tests each yet, for me that's just too inexperienced.

Zaheer may not be the best fielder but I think Powar would be more of a liability that him to be honest, he just lacks athleticism.

Perm

Nope, he had played really well against WI in WI and back home.

If they are one of the indicators, what are the other indicators for selection?

Trescothink is one success, i will tell you a list of failures, James Troughton, Robert Key, etc. are wildcards who failed miserably and also Owais Shah.

What i say, look outside the 15 or 20 and try to test players who could come out with flying colours, who knows. That is why i feel, Badri,Pujara and Yashpal deserve more than Kaif.
He did play well against the West Indies, that's right. But what I was saying is that Laxman usually only plays well against Australia, or on those flat pitches in Pakistan.

The other indicators for selection, other than consistently murdering FC attacks, are what the selectors make of their technique, what kind of temperament they have, how they will adapt to the team environment etc. Somebody like Virender Sehwag has slaughtered attacks in the Indian domestic competition but has been worked out in Test matches and now every bowler knows his weakness. There are countless other examples of players being superb FC batsman and average Test ones. To list Owais Shah as a batsman who has "failed miserably" is folly, he has only played one game.

I admit to not knowing as much about Indian domestic cricket or players as you do, but they have tried Mohammad Kaif at Test level already and he has done well, been pretty solid so IMO there is no reason why he shouldn't be playing in the Test's against Bangladesh.

pup11

International Coach
I am really disappointed with the Indian team selection for the Bangladesh tour. I thought with Shastri as their manager and after India's recent WC debacle there would be some change in the attitudes of the selectors and the BCCI administration but that seems like would never happen.

I just can't understand what the Indian team is trying to achieve by making these cosmetic changes to the side.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I am really disappointed with the Indian team selection for the Bangladesh tour. I thought with Shastri as their manager and after India's recent WC debacle there would be some change in the attitudes of the selectors and the BCCI administration but that seems like would never happen.

I just can't understand what the Indian team is trying to achieve by making these cosmetic changes to the side.
vengsarkar was even angry that tendulkar was asked to send an explanation and supposedly asked lalchand rajput how he could let this happen or something...according to a cricinfo article...is he a ****ing holy cow or something? whatever these bastards are up to, it's certainly not the betterment of indian cricket, this is disgusting....

cricman

International 12th Man
Ashraful might be named Captain for the ODI series if Bashar is dropped, please drop him, it's time for a change.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
But what I was saying is that Laxman usually only plays well against Australia, or on those flat pitches in Pakistan.
Really. Do you know your figures or just dislike Laxman generally?

Here is how Laxman fares in more than one different country. Pakistan is not the most important of these as you will see.

- Pakistan : 37.4
- England : 39.8
- South Africa 41.1
- India : 42.4
- West Indies : 47.5
- Australia : 59.6

Thats six of the eight top test playing nations. You have an issue with these figures ?

He averages poorly in Sri Lanka and New Zealand but if he had played more than mere three matches in both these countries put together he may have improved on those.

He averages 42.37 at home and 42.45 away.

Really !!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
More in support of Laxman

In the last two years (since Pakistan's tour in March 2005) :-

Laxman has scored more runs than any one in the Indian team barring Dravid and Sehwag. here are the figures.

Player ......Tests......Runs......Avg
Dravid........29........1455........58
Sehwag.....29..........993........37
Laxman....26..........917........40
Jaffer.........19..........807........42
Dhoni........24..........706........31
Pathan......16..........560........35
Sachin......19..........534........30
Yuvraj........19.........528.........31

He has also scored more scores above fifty (8) than anyone barring Dravid (13).

Tops the list of century makers with three alongwith Dravid and Jaffer.

And this without a series against minnows or super minnows Australia :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In the last two years (since Pakistan's tour in March 2005) :-

Laxman has scored more runs than any one in the Indian team barring Dravid and Sehwag. here are the figures.

Player ......Tests......Runs......Avg
Dravid........29........1455........58
Sehwag.....29..........993........37
Laxman....26..........917........40
Jaffer.........19..........807........42
Dhoni........24..........706........31
Pathan......16..........560........35
Sachin......19..........534........30
Yuvraj........19.........528.........31

He has also scored more scores above fifty (8) than anyone barring Dravid (13).

Tops the list of century makers with three alongwith Dravid and Jaffer.

And this without a series against minnows or super minnows Australia :)
But obviously, SJS, he couldn't score a 281 against any team bar Australia. So he is simply not consistent enough. ;) :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
By the way do you see the logic in dropping Sehwag FOR TEST matches in these figures ??
:)