• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland

DCC_legend

International Regular
I didn't feel to bad for pakistan. Although I cannot explain what happened to them today, I did not expect much. The way I see it, they did not have like 40 percent of their team, all of which who were key players needed for this tournament. Namely....

Razzaq
Afridi
Asif
Shabbir
Akhtar

Imagine missing out on a superb allrounder, a great game changing slogger, two genuine and promising quicks and a super fast bowler. I'd imagine having them in the team, for all the matches would automatically boost morale for their players, and more pressure on the opposition.
The team that went out did not perform on the day. On paper, the pakistani team are better than the irish, they may have been complacent and it has cost them.

Beleg

International Regular
jack_sparrow,

Shabbir is not a key ODI player. You are also exaggerating the importance of Afridi and Asif. The player Pakistan truly missed today was Shoaib Akhtar.

Ifs and buts are merely ifs and buts at the end of the day. Teams should be judged on the quality of play they exhibit on the playing field and it's self evident that Ireland showed far more application and resolved and completely out-classed Pakistan in batting and fielding.

DCC_legend

International Regular
jack_sparrow,

Shabbir is not a key ODI player. You are also exaggerating the importance of Afridi and Asif. The player Pakistan truly missed today was Shoaib Akhtar.

Ifs and buts are merely ifs and buts at the end of the day. Teams should be judged on the quality of play they exhibit on the playing field and it's self evident that Ireland showed far more application and resolved and completely out-classed Pakistan in batting and fielding.
Agreed.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well done, Ireland, on the greatest upset in the history of one-day cricket bar none.

Just had to come out of self-imposed exile to let everyone know that I'm totally and utterly ratarsed, and my liver still has a lot more work to do before the evening's out.

Slainte

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I love Pakistan and though I was happy at a minnow winning, Inzy's face broke my heart. He looked so sad, you can tell he really wanted to have a better showing, with what has gone down recently in Pakistani cricket. I'm more upset at that, then the Indian loss TBH.

Inzy is my favorite player in the world, and I hate to have this happen. But Ireland outbowled, outbatted and outfielded Pakistan and so thoroughly deserved this victory. On a side note, what will Kamran 'Only Australia are better?' Abbasi say now?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well done, Ireland, on the greatest upset in the history of one-day cricket bar none.

Just had to come out of self-imposed exile to let everyone know that I'm totally and utterly ratarsed, and my liver still has a lot more work to do before the evening's out.

Slainte
Wow. Great to see you make a post. This day gets better and better!

Have fun LE.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain

Slainte
Hey man, welcome back :)

Congrats to Ireland (and the Banglas) - the fabric of the universe must surely be unravelling as we type.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Slainte
:)

Beleg

International Regular
SS,

Inzamam is my favourite player bar none as well and I think he needs to retire now.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yeah ss i was wondering too what will abbasi say too...he better eat his own words...not realy sad for the pakis...cause its the best thing that could happen in this world cup....and to show the icc is doing its job ok...i dont think that inzi or dravid or woolmer or chappel should be fired from their job because things like this happens and before these games they were going to continue and so they should....although i woudl like to see ganguly back as captain instead of dravid :)

steds

Hall of Fame Member

Slainte
You're back!! :D :notworthy

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I still think Pakistan will make the Super 8s.

If Zimbabwe beat the windies and Pakistan beat Zim, ( and West Indies beat Ireland)
then all teams will end up with equal points and Teams that lost only narrowly will go through....

I am hoping that will happen....( I like the minnows, but would hate Pakistan getting kicked out ):-O

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I still think Pakistan will make the Super 8s.

If Zimbabwe beat the windies and Pakistan beat Zim, ( and West Indies beat Ireland)
then all teams will end up with equal points and Teams that lost only narrowly will go through....

I am hoping that will happen....( I like the minnows, but would hate Pakistan getting kicked out ):-O
Zimbabwe's tie with Ireland means Pakistan can't qualify. The situation you outlined would yield this table:

West Indies 4
Ireland 3
Zimbabwe 3
Pakistan 2

pasag

RTDAS
Pretty bittersweet here, wanted Ireland to win like any underdog story especially on St Patrick's, but didn't want Pakistan out of the World Cup nor a minnow in the Super 8. Sucks big time. Anyways commiserations to all the Pakistan fans on here.

What a night of cricket though, can't remember anything like this ever, the back button on my remote got a full on workout, letters erased and everything.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Pakistan didnt evne play that bad!!!!!!

looking at the game, pakistan actually didnt play that bad

the ball was virtually spinning off the track in the early overs, younis khan, imran nazir, hafeez, inzamam all got out trying to defend the ball on the front foott

u cant ask for more, those were just unplayable deliveries

the only mistakes pak mad were the two shots by akmal and mahmood, at a stage where the ball had stopped swinging, and they were scoring runs with ease, they played two of the most stupid pull shots

apart from that, pakistans bowling effort was very decent
i was amazed to see how there wasnt much in the ptich at all when pakistan bowled, and in the first innings the ball moved around till like the 25th over

but u cant take nothing at all away rom the Irish, they played an almost perfect game apart from the down the wicket slog attempt from obrien which nearly cost them the match, they surely deserved this win

but seruously some fans are being a bit too harsh on the pakistanis

i didnt watch the india game but it seemd that the case was similar in that game too, the ball did a bit too much in the first innings

im sure if pak and india had chased, they would have won
but forget the what ifs

im a pakistani and im not even that sad
i wish ireland good luck
and i hope windies or srilanka take this cup home

pup11

International Coach
17 March 07 would be remembered as the day of minnows, great result for Ireland and i think they fully deserve to go into the Super 8's rather than Pakistan.

Would be interesting to what changes take place in the Pakistan cricket after such a dismal performance, Woolmer would be axed for sure.

Fiery

Banned

Slainte
Welcome back luckyeddie. Hope you had a good break