• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland

Chubb

International Regular
Sibanda is the key- he gets runs, we win. We really should have finished them off sooner- much more professional. I hope we don't regret it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Thought it was a pretty fortunate knock really, lucky to get escape some seriously decent LBW shouts and anything bowled close to him and he looked pretty darn poor. His saving grace is that his a decent hitter against anything that is full and wide and the Zimbabweans were more than welcome to dish such dross up. Tis a shame because they were good in patches, Ireland now have a more than competitive total.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Thought it was a pretty fortunate knock really, lucky to get escape some seriously decent LBW shouts and anything bowled close to him and he looked pretty darn poor. His saving grace is that his a decent hitter against anything that is full and wide and the Zimbabweans were more than welcome to dish such dross up. Tis a shame because they were good in patches, Ireland now have a more than competitive total.
Regardless of how good the actual 100 was, it's fantastic for Ireland to have a 100 hitter. You can't expect perfection from Semi Pros.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
You know - seeing the absolute ecstatic face of guys like Bray after making a century make watching the WC worth it.
I agree, nothing better than seeing an Australian (whose only inclination of Ireland before coming there was of 'Guinness') score a century.
8-)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Regardless of how good the actual 100 was, it's fantastic for Ireland to have a 100 hitter. You can't expect perfection from Semi Pros.
Why not? His a former NSW cricketer who from all accounts was actually pretty decent (scored 69 on debut) but due to his girlfriend returning back home (to Ireland) to care for her sick father and a few other factors, he decided to up sticks and go. His not from the back streets of Dublin and has not just picked up a cricket bat, his faced far better bowling at youth level in Australia then he did today.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Why not? His a former NSW cricketer who from all accounts was actually pretty decent (scored 69 on debut) but due to his girlfriend returning back home (to Ireland) to care for her sick father and a few other factors, he decided to up sticks and go. His not from the back streets of Dublin and has not just picked up a cricket bat, his faced far better bowling at youth level in Australia then he did today.
I confess to knowing **** all about his circumstance, so I'll take your word for it.

PY

International Coach
Finally, Ireland manage to hold a catch.....:dry:

This could get interesting, Ireland seem to be bowling well.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I agree, nothing better than seeing an Australian (whose only inclination of Ireland before coming there was of 'Guinness') score a century.
8-)
He is still an amateur now and doesn't exactly get paid a living wage playing cricket for Ireland. So only reason he does it, in his thirties, is because he loves the game. I for one am not so cynical that I can't appreciate that.

Natman20

International Debutant
Ireland have a chance now as Sibanda walked onto his stumps to get out! good effort from him though scoring 69 or so.

Natman20

International Debutant
5 down now with 80 runs still to get. This could be the defining moment of Zimbabwe cricket. Good work from Ireland who can pick up an upset victory here

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Does anyone know how much were Ireland actually paying at the start of the match, just out of interest? I was going to place a bet on them before the match started but I fell asleep and missed the majority of the first innings - then they were paying even money so I didn't bother (especially since I expected them to score a few more runs than they actually did..).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Does anyone know how much were Ireland actually paying at the start of the match, just out of interest? I was going to place a bet on them before the match started but I fell asleep and missed the majority of the first innings - then they were paying even money so I didn't bother (especially since I expected them to score a few more runs than they actually did..).
Apalling tbh.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Ireland were paying around 2.50 at the start, but after the loss of Porterfield in the first over (and being sent in on a lively wicket, I guess) that immediately jumped up to 3.60. They got up to 3.40 again during Zimbabwe's innings when Sibanda was dominating. Just got up to 3.50 again now, in fact.

That's extremely generous IMO. Zimbabwe are favourites now, but not by a huge margin. A wicket or two and it's Ireland's game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ireland were paying around 2.50 at the start, but after the loss of Porterfield in the first over (and being sent in on a lively wicket, I guess) that immediately jumped up to 3.60. They got up to 3.40 again during Zimbabwe's innings when Sibanda was dominating. Just got up to 3.50 again now, in fact.

That's extremely generous IMO. Zimbabwe are favourites now, but not by a huge margin. A wicket or two and it's Ireland's game.
$4.33 now. Ridiculously generous now IMO.