• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D - Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Dont loose hope guys....big matches to come for pakistan, ireland.....and then the tougher one, zimbabwe. Still hope for the super 8's.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Caught the first 20 and last 20 overs of this morning's game. Not sure how I'll budget time to catch full matches this WC, though. 12-9am is pretty brutal.

Might go to bed when I get home from uni this afternoon and get up at midnight...

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Having just had a bit of a stats geek overload (blame George), I've dug through Cricinfo for the last time the West Indies filled a full complement of ODI overs without resorting to spinners.

February 1993: Pakistan bowled out for 150 in 41.3 overs

However, I wasn't convinced that implied no spin would be used whatsoever: so...

February 1984: Holding, Garner, Marshall, Davis and Baptiste win the World Series Cup

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Caught the first 20 and last 20 overs of this morning's game. Not sure how I'll budget time to catch full matches this WC, though. 12-9am is pretty brutal.

Might go to bed when I get home from uni this afternoon and get up at midnight...
The best I can hope for is getting up at 5am and watching the second innings of most of the matches. Pretty difficult in our timezone.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Good to see the wicket at Sabina Park offered some bounce but more importantly it was a fantastic one day wicket. Little bit upfront for the bowlers but it was no minefield and thankfully it did not become as slow as old assholes as the game progressed.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The best I can hope for is getting up at 5am and watching the second innings of most of the matches. Pretty difficult in our timezone.
Yeah, I'm with you on that one - 12 till 9 trashes you for a few days afterwards

Anyway, from what I saw, WI were good but Pakistan pretty much confirmed for me that theyre not amongst the top fancies.

Yousuf and Inzy gave them a chance but both played poor shots and Inzy stuffed around for a long time as well

Good to see Rao do well - I like his action and think he has a future

WI fan

Cricket Spectator
After the debacle of 85 all out to India last week it was great to see the guys bounce back. I dont think that they should be taken for granted at all. Great effort.
8-)

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, it's definitely the weakest Group but I wouldn't surprise if Pakistan turn things around like they usually do
Probably but dropping Rana Naved (for Yasir Arafat), Kaneria (Azhar Mahmood) and Hafeez (when Afirdi returns) might help. Questions need to be asked over Hafeez, he may have bowled well today but having an average of fewer than 20 with strike rate of less than 60 after 40 odd games is not acceptable. Make Afridi open with that other fly by night, Imran Nazir. Can not do any worse and if by luck they get away then it is goodnight Charlie for the opposition.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Yep, it's definitely the weakest Group but I wouldn't surprise if Pakistan turn things around like they usually do
Well unfortunetly the whole pakistans batting line-up is a hit and miss, like our openers......the situation ur talking about, theres an 80% chance that it will only happen if our openers click, then as there will be no pressure on our middle-order, they will most likely click aswell.

Fiery

Banned
Yeah, I'm with you on that one - 12 till 9 trashes you for a few days afterwards

Anyway, from what I saw, WI were good but Pakistan pretty much confirmed for me that theyre not amongst the top fancies.

Yousuf and Inzy gave them a chance but both played poor shots and Inzy stuffed around for a long time as well

Good to see Rao do well - I like his action and think he has a future
I didn't watch the game but by looking at the scorecards and strike-rates it looks like Yousef and Inzamam may have been a bit too over-cautious when trying to steady the ship. They could/should have played a few more shots. Would that be fair, anyone who watched the game?

Last edited:

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Probably but dropping Rana Naved (for Yasir Arafat), Kaneria (Azhar Mahmood) and Hafeez (when Afirdi returns) might help. Questions need to be asked over Hafeez, he may have bowled well today but having an average of fewer than 20 with strike rate of less than 60 after 40 odd games is not acceptable. Make Afridi open with that other fly by night, Imran Nazir. Can not do any worse and if by luck they get away then it is goodnight Charlie for the opposition.
seriously why dont people understand? why Afridi, hasnt he already been tried a million times???? Afridi for the team is a must yes, but his effectiveness is not as an opener :wallbash:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
seriously why dont people understand? why Afridi, hasnt he already been tried a million times???? Afridi for the team is a must yes, but his effectiveness is not as an opener :wallbash:
Naturally I would agree but looking at Pakistan's squad there is not too many options. And by the way his average as an opener is better than his career average and accordingly better than his average at six or seven. So such an argument does not have much weight especially if you take away his Durban massacre, there is scant evidence to suggest his worth is really down the order.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I didn't watch the game but by looking at the scorecards and strike-rates it looks like Yousef and Inzamam may have been a bit too over-cautious when trying to steady the ship. They could/should have played a few more shots. Would that be fair, anyway who watched the game?
Not necessarily if one of them had gone on. When they came together Pakistan were in a big hole & they put on over 50. When they went in relatively quick succession (with Akmal getting a golden blob too) it made their innings look worse than they actually were.

Pakistan's real issues are at the top of the order for me.

Fiery

Banned
Not necessarily if one of them had gone on. When they came together Pakistan were in a big hole & they put on over 50. When they went in relatively quick succession (with Akmal getting a golden blob too) it made their innings look worse than they actually were.

Pakistan's real issues are at the top of the order for me.
ok, fair call

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain

I'm going to stick to watching the 2nd innings on weekdays I think....5:30am is ok. Probably won't bother with sleep on weekends, I can catch up some other time.