• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameeel

International Captain
Kangaroos defender Jonathan Hay has ended several days of intense speculation about his AFL future by retiring from the game.

He revealed the shock news to his club yesterday during a mediation session involving the club and the AFL Players' Association.

That meeting involved the club's decision to reduce his three-year contract, reportedly worth nearly $1 million.

Hay joined the Kangaroos from Hawthorn last year and then endured a wretched season, with the club eventually punishing him for an off-field indiscretion.

Last August, Hay revealed he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2003 and that the problem had resurfaced during the year.

While the Kangaroos pledged to support Hay, it emerged earlier this month that they wanted to revise his contract on the grounds he did not disclose the illness when he transferred from Hawthorn.

"I wish them all well for 2007 and beyond," Hay said tonight in a club statement.

"I would like to publicly thank (coach) Dean Laidley and (football manager) Tim Harrington who have helped me deal with difficult issues during my time at the club."

The statement added: "Aylett (Kangaroos chief executive Rick Aylett) said the club was enormously disappointed that Hay could not continue his career, but recognised that his health must be the No.1 priority.

"Aylett said Hay was an incredibly talented and brave footballer who had contributed to improved community understanding about bipolar disorder."

Last week, AFL operations manager Adrian Anderson declined to comment specifically on the Hay case.

But he said no one in Australia had to divulge private medical information to an employer.

"You require the consent of the patient for that to happen," Anderson told Fairfax newspapers.

Hay, 27, made the All-Australian team in 2001 and at his best has been one of the league's best key defenders.

He made his debut in 1997 and played 149 games with the Hawks before transferring to the 'Roos, where he managed only eight games last season
Not much of a surprise there tbh. I doubt he would have gotten many senior games this season anyway.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty entertaining finish there. Adelaide played quite poorly throughout, no way they deserved to win it. Probably had a lot to do with half the team missing the match, though.

Main highlight for Adelaide was Griffin, who was awesome. One of the better first games you'll see. Nice comeback for Hudson too, and Welsh, Shirley and Porplyzia were all good. Port clearly the better side, though.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
haha, tbh i hope it does. The two other blokes in my office are huge Bombers fans, couldn't think of anything more fun than rubbing it in :D

i support the Lions & Dees btw...

Status
Not open for further replies.