• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do Aussies hate murili?

adharcric

International Coach
Calling someone a chucker or a cheat IMO is fine. I've done it to Bonds ;), but thats because I've always hated him.
I hope the Giants somehow get rid of him. Otherwise, I'll have to get myself to cheer for him for another year. :@
Mind you, he's still an awesome player without the steroids - steroids do not make that big of a difference. Still, for that he's a bastard.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ffs don't be so naive. You know perfectly well that Murali isn't the most popular person in Australia, and that a majority of Australian cricket fans dislike him for some reason or another. You only need to look on this board to know that.
Seriously, go and play in the traffic or something. Did you read anything that pasag wrote???

You've pretty much comfirmed your ignorance by telling us that you are indeed basing your opinion on the obvious minority in a crowd, and those outspoken members on the forum, who clearly do NO represent the views of Australians as a whole.

social

I hope the Giants somehow get rid of him. Otherwise, I'll have to get myself to cheer for him for another year. :@
Mind you, he's still an awesome player without the steroids - steroids do not make that big of a difference. Still, for that he's a bastard.
Bonds is actually a reasonable comparison - he's been convicted by many on the basis of unsubstantiated allegations

BTW, can someone please explain to me how steroids help u to hit a ball?

adharcric

International Coach
Bonds is actually a reasonable comparison - he's been convicted by many on the basis of unsubstantiated allegations

BTW, can someone please explain to me how steroids help u to hit a ball?
I don't think they improve your hand-eye coordination. Perhaps it's just additional power which people use to explain Bonds' home run surge in recent years.

social

I don't think they improve your hand-eye coordination. Perhaps it's just additional power which people use to explain Bonds' home run surge in recent years.
Power comes from timing - for the life of me I cant work out how bigger muscles aid the hand-eye co-ordination or technique that goes into hitting a pitch

If muscles or power was all there was to it, Arnie would've played baseball rather than make movies

adharcric

International Coach
Power comes from timing - for the life of me I cant work out how bigger muscles aid the hand-eye co-ordination or technique that goes into hitting a pitch

If muscles or power was all there was to it, Arnie would've played baseball rather than make movies
Good point. I really don't know how steroids have helped him out then.

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
....BTW, can someone please explain to me how steroids help u to hit a ball?
There are many different types of steroids, which by the way are simply chemical messengers. Those relevant to sport are anabolic steroids and corticosteroids.
Anabolic steroids enable you to build up muscle mass beyond normally achievable levels so athletes in power sports like athletics enhance their performance and gain an edge on rivals. Nasty, nasty side effects as well as being illegal. A great number of them are veterinary medications not appropriate for humans.
Corticosteroids reduce inflammation. Inflammation is a protective side effect post injury (a natural splint amongst other things) but sometimes takes longer to subside than an athlete is willing to accept and the affected joint/muscles are 'held back' from a a full range of motion. The athlete taking corticosteroids artificially impairs the healing process attempting to regain a full range of motion earlier than would naturally happen. At least these are used in human medicine with some conditions.

pasag

RTDAS
Ffs don't be so naive. You know perfectly well that Murali isn't the most popular person in Australia, and that a majority of Australian cricket fans dislike him for some reason or another. You only need to look on this board to know that.
Lol @ a 14 year old kid telling me not to be naive. You certainly have some nerve and did a fine effort at missing the entire point of mine and others posts, so I'll have to spell out again for you.

How the **** do you know what Australian's like and not like? Because your dad had a bad experience with some drunk bogans at the WACA?

To make the idiotic statement "The Australians really don't like Muralitharan at all, that's the difference," based on certain experiences on this forum or anywhere else is moronic. I have no idea whether Australian's like or dislike Murali, I have no way of accessing that information and I've lived here all my 22 years, nor would I be so brazen (these days) to make such a sweeping claim.

I will not however sit here and take this **** from a 14 year old sitting in England who seems to have his finger on the pulse of a diverse and somewhat multicultural nation and tell me what Australian's like and don't like.

So again. Don't make idiotic statements based on people in the crowd or people on this forum because they do not represent Australians and neither do I. Am I making myself clear?

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
There are many different types of steroids, which by the way are simply chemical messengers. Those relevant to sport are anabolic steroids and corticosteroids.
Anabolic steroids enable you to build up muscle mass beyond normally achievable levels so athletes in power sports like athletics enhance their performance and gain an edge on rivals. Nasty, nasty side effects as well as being illegal. A great number of them are veterinary medications not appropriate for humans.
Corticosteroids reduce inflammation. Inflammation is a protective side effect post injury (a natural splint amongst other things) but sometimes takes longer to subside than an athlete is willing to accept and the affected joint/muscles are 'held back' from a a full range of motion. The athlete taking corticosteroids artificially impairs the healing process attempting to regain a full range of motion earlier than would naturally happen. At least these are used in human medicine with some conditions.
You didn't answer his question ...

social

I understand what can be achieved with steroids.

However, the accusations levelled at Bonds are that he took steroids to help his hitting.

I just dont see how they would make much of a difference.

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
You didn't answer his question ...
No, largely because the more I say the more I am likely to reveal my ignorance.
There's no direct improvement in coordination or reaction that I know of although a user of anabolic steroids can apparently experience a hyped up 'Red Bull' sort of feeling of well being which they might mistake for it. All sorts of stuff in fact, up to violent psychotic behaviour.
Steroid use at the local gym is pretty crude. But amongst rogue top level athletes it has gained some sophisticated pharmaceutical backing from criminal elements. If there are steroids that boost coordination or reaction times I guess that's where you would find them. But I haven't heard of them.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Ha, ha! :D

C_C clearly hasn't lost his common touch. Do you find it hard to sit down with that rod up your backside?

I presume by "cultural events" you're referring to what is usually called "high culture" (i.e. ballet, opera, the theatre, etc), which generally (exclusively?) follow a script of some manner; one goes to admire how a particular performer or cast of performers interpret a work. Conversely, of course, the outcome of any sporting event is, at its outset, undecided.

Now Canada may be a prelapsarian paradise where the crowd consists entirely of neutrals who sincerely hope that sport is the winner, but I reckon you'll find that those of us who're forced to reside outside this other Eden actively enjoy taking sides (sport is, almost by its very definition, adversarial in nature), however beastly & unmannerly that makes us. There's obviously a line one doesn't wish to see crossed, racial or homophopic abuse would be on the unacceptable side of it, but very frequently sportsmen take the trouble to thank their fans for their support. Mere lip service? Possibly. I personally prefer to think that on a few golden occasions the efforts of the crowd lift their chosen champions to greater heights of excellence.
Afridi tbh...

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Ha, ha! :D

C_C clearly hasn't lost his common touch. Do you find it hard to sit down with that rod up your backside?

I presume by "cultural events" you're referring to what is usually called "high culture" (i.e. ballet, opera, the theatre, etc), which generally (exclusively?) follow a script of some manner; one goes to admire how a particular performer or cast of performers interpret a work. Conversely, of course, the outcome of any sporting event is, at its outset, undecided.

Now Canada may be a prelapsarian paradise where the crowd consists entirely of neutrals who sincerely hope that sport is the winner, but I reckon you'll find that those of us who're forced to reside outside this other Eden actively enjoy taking sides (sport is, almost by its very definition, adversarial in nature), however beastly & unmannerly that makes us. There's obviously a line one doesn't wish to see crossed, racial or homophopic abuse would be on the unacceptable side of it, but very frequently sportsmen take the trouble to thank their fans for their support. Mere lip service? Possibly. I personally prefer to think that on a few golden occasions the efforts of the crowd lift their chosen champions to greater heights of excellence.
What a post. Absolute gem.

Though I'd expect nothing less from a man with such a gun av. :)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
First off, I wasn't implying that everyone in Australia hates Muralitharan, just saying that generally, he is disliked in Australia.

My Dad went to the match at the WACA in 1995, when he played against Australia, and he said that there was a great number of people shouting a lot more than just no-ball when he was bowling, and when he came to the fine-leg boundary, there was racist abuse shouted at him. In fact it was so awful that he left the ground and complained to the authorities.
Well you made another mistake once again. 'Generally' is 'Generalising'. Bradman thought Murali was great, Waugh thinks Murali is great - many many Australians think he is a great cricketer. Just because you have a bunch of drunk idiots on the ground being stupid doesn't mean everyone is that way.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just want to add my thoughts that Brumby should take home the Afridi for his post. Said what we all wanted to, but couldn't quite manage.

C_C needs to go back to the drawing board tbh, and come up with some new material, because he's really lost the plot this time. Must be to do with his upbringing.

Josh

International Regular
In my opinion, it's hard to hate somebody you don't personally know. You might disagree with their ideals, their morals, their actions (pardon the pun), but you can't hate THEM, for you don't know how THEY are in their capacity as a human being and as a citizen of the Earth.

Hating sports stars?? You don't hate sports stars. You admire, you envy, you disagree; but you don't hate.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Just want to add my thoughts that Brumby should take home the Afridi for his post. Said what we all wanted to, but couldn't quite manage.

C_C needs to go back to the drawing board tbh, and come up with some new material, because he's really lost the plot this time. Must be to do with his upbringing.
:laugh:

Brumby's post was a classic.