• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do Aussies hate murili?

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Bear in mind, i said when you are in *their* element, ie, when you are in a stadium watching a cricket match or in an opera house watching opera, you *are* the lesser one- you are the one who is afforded the priviledge of the performance and you *must* respect the performer or quite simply, clear out.
I dont care if you take a different tone with them in the streets or in your living room but when you are in the element of someone, you do not disrespect them there.
Doing so only exposes your crassness and the failure of your family and your teachers to properly educate you in ettiquette and manners.
When you are in the audience, your obligation to the performer is first and foremost- which is the rather simple and extremely easy thing called 'showing respect'.
I actually disagree about it being "their" element. They don't own the stadium, they don't own the sport, and they should have no power over the audience. The only reason they get paid to engage in what is otherwise a frivolous pursuit is because of the enjoyment it brings to their audience. The moment the players lose sight of that, they're walking the path to ruination.

To repeat, this doesn't mean people can engage in disruptive or unruly behaviour - but the courtesy of not doing so is owed to their peers in the audience, not to the players on the field. If the players don't like it, they should feel free to go find a new career, because there are negatives in any profession, and you sometimes just have to be a grown up and deal with them.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Duh!
They are the 'one side' of the coin. I'd like to know how many Tenors and Sopranos condemned Alagna.
I doubt you have much knowledge or experience in the non-public side of the coin and how extremely uncouth it is considered by the performers when they are heckled by people who's parents have done a pathetic job teaching them manners.
On the contrary- i am a frequent visitor to sporting events and cultural events both in and outside Canada. However, i dont give a toss what the 'general behaviour' is- just because proper crowd ettiquette and manners are very rare, it doesnt justify the crowd behaviour one bit.
As i said, the crowd tends to think that since they paid money for their attendance, it is within their right to voice their (and in most cases, highly uneducated) opinions. Not so- as i said, it is a priviledge to attend functions and sporting events where people with far greater skill than yourself perform. If you feel that the performance doesnt suit your taste, you are free to leave. However, booing and heckling shows only one thing : Your lack of manners and proper upbringing.
I think you're making a rod for your own back in trying to equate the behaviour of an audience at an opera and at a major sporting event. They are clearly separate categories of public events and would in almost every case I can think of have much different norms in terms of behaviour. The only sports I can think of that would have such strong normative strictures on the crowd would be tennis and golf - certainly in football (all codes) and cricket, there is no expectation that the crowd should sit there in rapt silence, only breaking into restrained polite applause at the end of each session...

Its all a question of degrees - giving some good-natured "advice" to opposition players is fine, whilst racial or otherwise offensive abuse is no more acceptable there than it is in general society. Running onto the field and taking a swing at a player is obviously a criminal act, but starting a "Hadlee's a wanker" chant wouldn't fall in the same category in my opinion.

C_C

International Captain
I actually disagree about it being "their" element. They don't own the stadium, they don't own the sport, and they should have no power over the audience.
Being in 'your element' has nothing to do with ownership of the spot- it has all to do with the place being the area where you are given the scope to blossom in your talents - be it the cubicle of a bank or an opera box.
And i utterly disagree that the performer should have no power over the audience- no relationship can survive without a balance and depriving the performer of any power makes it highly imbalanced. As i said, both sides have an obligation : for the performer to do the best he/she can and the public to show respect for their hard work and talent- nomatter where that talent stands on the grand scale, what matters is that their talent and work in the field far outstrips most of the public by a few light years.

but the courtesy of not doing so is owed to their peers in the audience, not to the players on the field.
Utterly, completely disagree.
Your courtesy owed to the members of the audience is secondary to that you owe to the performer. It is THEY you are watching and the least you can do is show a smidgen of class.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Duh!
I doubt you have much knowledge or experience in the non-public side of the coin and how extremely uncouth it is considered by the performers when they are heckled by people who's parents have done a pathetic job teaching them manners.
Being a smart ass never helps either, particularly when you do so towards people who are making the effort to engage in polite conversation with you. Shows a distinct lack of effort by your parents in teaching you manners and class if that's the game you want to play.....

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On the contrary- i am a frequent visitor to sporting events and cultural events both in and outside Canada. However, i dont give a toss what the 'general behaviour' is- just because proper crowd ettiquette and manners are very rare, it doesnt justify the crowd behaviour one bit.
As i said, the crowd tends to think that since they paid money for their attendance, it is within their right to voice their (and in most cases, highly uneducated) opinions. Not so- as i said, it is a priviledge to attend functions and sporting events where people with far greater skill than yourself perform. If you feel that the performance doesnt suit your taste, you are free to leave. However, booing and heckling shows only one thing : Your lack of manners and proper upbringing.
all of which sounds good, and is probably correct, but it still doesn't provide reason for players to boycott tours citing "the harsh crowd treatment" as a reason. As Matt said, its something that should be expected from a cricket player away from home, no matter how wrong it is from the audience to be jeering at the player.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I have no idea what you're even trying to argue here, Joy. To suggest that the audience owes anything to the players is simply absurd. As Matt79 said, cricket is a frivolous activity that most people engage in purely for their own enjoyment. The opportunity to play it for a living is a privilege entirely dependent on the desire of the audience to witness the spectacle, and I'm sure every professional cricketer in the world recognises that. The audience owes nothing to the players and the players owe everything to the audience.

That doesn't mean of course that players can't make their own choices about where and how they play, or that spectators can do whatever they want when watching the cricket, but the spectators certainly aren't under any obligation to behave the way the players want them to.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If it was a "privelige" it would be free. Sporting events cost a lot of money in England, I certainly will voice my opinions if I feel it is appropriate. And my uprbringing has been just fine, thankyou.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Duh!
They are the 'one side' of the coin. I'd like to know how many Tenors and Sopranos condemned Alagna.
Sorry bud, know a little more about it than u do

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Ha, ha! :D

C_C clearly hasn't lost his common touch. Do you find it hard to sit down with that rod up your backside?

I presume by "cultural events" you're referring to what is usually called "high culture" (i.e. ballet, opera, the theatre, etc), which generally (exclusively?) follow a script of some manner; one goes to admire how a particular performer or cast of performers interpret a work. Conversely, of course, the outcome of any sporting event is, at its outset, undecided.

Now Canada may be a prelapsarian paradise where the crowd consists entirely of neutrals who sincerely hope that sport is the winner, but I reckon you'll find that those of us who're forced to reside outside this other Eden actively enjoy taking sides (sport is, almost by its very definition, adversarial in nature), however beastly & unmannerly that makes us. There's obviously a line one doesn't wish to see crossed, racial or homophopic abuse would be on the unacceptable side of it, but very frequently sportsmen take the trouble to thank their fans for their support. Mere lip service? Possibly. I personally prefer to think that on a few golden occasions the efforts of the crowd lift their chosen champions to greater heights of excellence.

Langeveldt

Soutie

C_C clearly hasn't lost his common touch. Do you find it hard to sit down with that rod up your backside?

I presume by "cultural events" you're referring to what is usually called "high culture" (i.e. ballet, opera, the theatre, etc), which generally (exclusively?) follow a script of some manner; one goes to admire how a particular performer or cast of performers interpret a work. Conversely, of course, the outcome of any sporting event is, at its outset, undecided.

Now Canada may be a prelapsarian paradise where the crowd consists entirely of neutrals who sincerely hope that sport is the winner, but I reckon you'll find that those of us who're forced to reside outside this other Eden actively enjoy taking sides (sport is, almost by its very definition, adversarial in nature), however beastly & unmannerly that makes us. There's obviously a line one doesn't wish to see crossed, racial or homophopic abuse would be on the unacceptable side of it, but very frequently sportsmen take the trouble to thank their fans for their support. Mere lip service? Possibly. I personally prefer to think that on a few golden occasions the efforts of the crowd lift their chosen champions to greater heights of excellence.
Brumby pulling out those big guns at a time when it was most needed one feels..

PhoenixFire

International Coach
You have anything to support that stupid generalisation? You wouldn't happen to be basing it on a tiny minority of the crowd or some outspoken members on this forum would you? I'm struggling to fathom how you would know what Australians as a whole like and don't like, because I certainly don't and I've lived here all my life, but I assume you're the expert on such matters.

Ffs don't be so naive. You know perfectly well that Murali isn't the most popular person in Australia, and that a majority of Australian cricket fans dislike him for some reason or another. You only need to look on this board to know that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Couldn't agree more.

Also, as for 'booing'. You are paying [as a fan] the salaries of the players by tickets, merchandise and TV viewership. When a team is representing your city or your country, you have the right to demand that the players play with pride and emotion. You have every right to boo an inferior product out on the field.

legglancer12

School Boy/Girl Captain
Couldn't agree more.

Also, as for 'booing'. You are paying [as a fan] the salaries of the players by tickets, merchandise and TV viewership. When a team is representing your city or your country, you have the right to demand that the players play with pride and emotion. You have every right to boo an inferior product out on the field.
But do you have the right to abuse a player ?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ffs don't be so naive. You know perfectly well that Murali isn't the most popular person in Australia, and that a majority of Australian cricket fans dislike him for some reason or another. You only need to look on this board to know that.
I'm an avid Warne supporter and when there are comparisons made with Murali I come hard and fast. But to say I hate him is stretching it, to say the least. To say other Aussies hate him is an even bigger stretch. I think you made a false generalisation. To say there are Aussies who dislike Murali isn't incorrect. But the way you put it certainly is incorrect.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm an avid Warne supporter and when there are comparisons made with Murali I come hard and fast. But to say I hate him is stretching it, to say the least. To say other Aussies hate him is an even bigger stretch. I think you made a false generalisation. To say there are Aussies who dislike Murali isn't incorrect. But the way you put it certainly is incorrect.
First off, I wasn't implying that everyone in Australia hates Muralitharan, just saying that generally, he is disliked in Australia.

My Dad went to the match at the WACA in 1995, when he played against Australia, and he said that there was a great number of people shouting a lot more than just no-ball when he was bowling, and when he came to the fine-leg boundary, there was racist abuse shouted at him. In fact it was so awful that he left the ground and complained to the authorities.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What About " you F@@##@ Chu*ker" ?
I don't know about obscenities when kids might be around. I think 'You [something not obscene] chucker is fine'.

Calling someone a chucker or a cheat IMO is fine. I've done it to Bonds ;), but thats because I've always hated him.