• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ponting Tribute Thread

smash84

The Tiger King
Thanks, but one of the most overrated players in test history. Best Aus batsman after Bradman? talk to my hand.

And his selfishness to hang in on despite knowing he was past it, even if it were for a farewell test does not sit well on a man purported to be the ultimate team man and fearless fighter. No he just wanted the salutations and the accolades even if it was at the cost of a batsman's space in the team.

Aus had to go into the Perth test with 10 men just because of one man's zest to garner the centerstage.

Had a godly 2002-2007, and then went under. His record was mainly due to performances at home, in the comforts of other greats like Hayden, Langer, and then Gilly, McGrath, etc. Once the greats were gone, and he could not hide behind others, his performance too fell, drastically. Suggests rather he needed shoulders to rest on than being one himself.

Clarke is miles better than Ponting in that respect.

Rant over.
:laugh:

Spark

Global Moderator
Want to make it absolutely clear: normally, we don't care if you want to get **** off your chest re: a certain player or whatever, fine. But to do so in a retirement or tribute thread is an absolutely dog act, and I personally will not tolerate it in any retirement/tribute thread. It's just so, so ****.

If you can't say anything nice in your posts in this and similar threads, keep your ****ing mouth shut. Honestly. Can't believe I've had to say this.

Spark

Global Moderator
There's no time or place for that junk posting. Showing an absolute lack of knowledge about the sport. Such stupid posting.
It's in these threads where it's across the red line for me.

Anyway, let's not talk about it further.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd rather they did post honestly like that, makes it known for all time who the ****wits are
:laugh:

Regardless though, there are plenty of threads to have a go at Ponting on a personal level or call him over-rated or whatever without doing it in his tribute thread.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think Ponting is clearly on an echelon above Harvey, Ian Chappell and McCabe in particular.

You could scratch around and argue Border and Waugh are in a similar class, but that's about it.

I'll give you I. Chappell and McCabe, but I'll argue for Harvs every day of the week. ****ing legend is Harvey.

For me, the top echelon are G. Chappell, Harvey, Ponting and Border.

For some reason I don't see Waugh in the same way I see those four.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll give you I. Chappell and McCabe, but I'll argue for Harvs every day of the week. ****ing legend is Harvey.

For me, the top echelon are G. Chappell, Harvey, Ponting and Border.

For some reason I don't see Waugh in the same way I see those four.
Look mate, I don't think Ian Harvey is as good as you're making out.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just for today, my avatar changes. Adios Ricky Ponting. I wish I had appreciated you more. I also wish you were a little more circumspect in some of the matches against India, especially as captain. But, in the end, a champion is a champion.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You know, people don't really think about it in these terms, but Ponting retires as indisputably the most successful cricket player in the history of the game. Quality.