• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh squad joins ICL

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't know about that - a) the BCCI might've been confident ICL players could be banned at that time and b) there hadn't quite yet been the scale of sign-up there has now.

If they can get someone to pay vast sums to televise it and give vast prizes to the winners... there's a lot of point.
I think you're missing the point Richard, tournaments are about finding the best teams, by not allowing teams to participate for reasons with nothing to do with performance then you are removing the legtimacy of the tournament, IMO

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think you're missing the point Richard, tournaments are about finding the best teams
In theory they are, but you forget who's behind this - the BCCI. Tournaments organised by them have no such intention - the only matter of import is how much money can be made and how many other benefits can be attained.

And as I've said many times - if Middlesex win this thing and bring home the prize, the BCCI will have struck the jackpot, I think - because I can see every county getting shot of ICL players as quickly as they can run contracts out. They certainly should do, if they've any sense.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In theory they are, but you forget who's behind this - the BCCI. Tournaments organised by them have no such intention - the only matter of import is how much money can be made and how many other benefits can be attained.
Then why call it the Champions League? The idea is clearly to have a cricketing version of the UEFA Champions League.

And as I've said many times - if Middlesex win this thing and bring home the prize, the BCCI will have struck the jackpot, I think - because I can see every county getting shot of ICL players as quickly as they can run contracts out. They certainly should do, if they've any sense.
If counties get rid of ICL players because of this then they'd be a bit silly, IMO, as some of them have no chance with or without ICL players. It would be like Tranmere getting rid of certain players to comply with the UEFA Champions League rule of 8 homegrown players.

Precambrian

Banned
Then why call it the Champions League? The idea is clearly to have a cricketing version of the UEFA Champions League.

If counties get rid of ICL players because of this then they'd be a bit silly, IMO, as some of them have no chance with or without ICL players. It would be like Tranmere getting rid of certain players to comply with the UEFA Champions League rule of 8 homegrown players.
Well, ultimately it is an invitational tournament, created and controlled by BCCI, and hence they've every right to determine who can compete, and who cannot, and they are well within the rights to name it what they like, be it Champions Trophy or Lil jinx or whatever. I don't particularly like the BCCI, however sometimes the criticism against it seems just too unwarranted. And i would take an ICC recognising, non-profit (atleast in name) oriented trust (they plough in as they earn into the system) BCCI over cash-only ICL. For god's sake, they brought some semblance of decency to player's wages comparable to world standards, a genuine requirement if the sport is to ever become global.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, it's to market something as that. The BCCI couldn't give two hoots whether it actually is or not, all they care about is what it's perceived as, and no-one's going to stop them giving false-indication titles.
Pipedreams FTW.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, ultimately it is an invitational tournament, created and controlled by BCCI, and hence they've every right to determine who can compete, and who cannot, and they are well within the rights to name it what they like, be it Champions Trophy or Lil jinx or whatever. I don't particularly like the BCCI, however sometimes the criticism against it seems just too unwarranted. And i would take an ICC recognising, non-profit (atleast in name) oriented trust (they plough in as they earn into the system) BCCI over cash-only ICL. For god's sake, they brought some semblance of decency to player's wages comparable to world standards, a genuine requirement if the sport is to ever become global.
They didn't bring in anything... The market forces did. The players have taken up negotiations and were always going to strike unless they were not paid in the terms they wanted... Don't confuse the BCCI as some messiah who increased the player wages across the world.. That was done by the cricket crazy Indian public, about whom BCCI cares zilch..

pup11

International Coach
Well only big names and good players can reap benifits from IPL but what about smaller teams and their lesser known players, they feel left out when they see the richers guys making even more money, so what's the big deal if these little know faces go and play in the ICL make a some money for themselves, and play for their country whenever reqiured, so what is the big deal in that.