• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

sanga1337

U19 Captain
South Africa should win. They have a great bowling attack who I think will be a bit too good for the england batsman

howardj

International Coach
Was checking out the July Foxtel TV Guide (for Aussie viewers).

This series gets a good screening on Fox.

I think only one night of the first three Tests starts at the later time of 10:30pm.

For all other days of the Test, the coverage commences at the begining of the day's play.

Hoping for a Kallis run fest, tbh.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Is anyone going to the Somerset v South Africa game? I'm going to the Monday and Tuesday if anyone wants a beer..
Cool, taking any pics?
I'll be at the Uxbridge (if I can find it) for the Middlesex South Africa game, if anyone wants a protein shake (that sounds rather ghey, sorry)...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: at the idea of drinking protein-shakes as a "cuppa tea" substitute TBH.

"Can I shout you a protein-shake mate?"

Langeveldt

Soutie
Cool, taking any pics?
I'll be at the Uxbridge (if I can find it) for the Middlesex South Africa game, if anyone wants a protein shake (that sounds rather ghey, sorry)...
Probably not.. I take thousands a week now and it's nice when I can actually walk around without all my camera gear.. Kind of liberating

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Caddick has the opening wicket of the tour of McKenzie - he still hasn't given up hope of a recall, I bet. Out of interest, why was he dropped? His last Test innings bowling performance was 7/94!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Okay - but why no recall when he was fit?
Because it was an entire year later and he was 36 years old. There were lingering doubts over his fitness and longevity and his return season was pretty lean - he averaged over 35 in the County Championship in 2004. By the time he was consistently getting on the park on putting in good performances it was 2005, and we all know what happened then...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, fair enough - slightly unlucky for him though,
Not really, imo. His 7-for was in the final test of an ashes series where we'd lost the other 4 tests and he'd barely done a thing. When we needed him to lead the way, he was completely ineffective - as had been the case in the previous ashes series too. His time had gone, and 7 wickets on a very helpful 4th innings pitch in a dead rubber did nothing whatsoever to change that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really, imo. His 7-for was in the final test of an ashes series where we'd lost the other 4 tests and he'd barely done a thing. When we needed him to lead the way, he was completely ineffective - as had been the case in the previous ashes series too. His time had gone, and 7 wickets on a very helpful 4th innings pitch in a dead rubber did nothing whatsoever to change that.
We're all aware of your feelings on Caddick, and I remain baffled that you think the likes of Harmison, Anderson etc. are even fit to lace his boots.

Yes, his career was a disappointment 1993-1998, and again 2001-2002/03, but even in these times he had his moments - and in his bad times these moments were more frequent than Harmison and Anderson for the vast proportion of their careers.

I'm highly disappointed Caddick got injured when he did, as I believe we'd have been a better side with him in it the last 5 years.

BTW, I know SA have reached the height of absurdity regarding their openers long ago, but they're having a decent stab at going higher still this game - McKenzie opening instead of de Villiers is stupid, Duminy opening instead of him more stupid still.

But where could the likes of Kallis prefer to open the tour than Taunton? Perfect for some early nick-getting-into, especially when the attack is made-up of the likes of Turner, Durston and Suppiah. Just hope they cash-in to the fullest extent.

I wonder how often a wicket has fallen to the opening ball of a tour though? As has happened with Caddick dismissing McKenzie here.