• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Football ATG General Arguing/Discussing Thread

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Best XI since about the mid to late 90s

Buffon
Maldini
Nesta
Cannavaro
Lahm
Keane
Xavi
Zidane
Messi
Ronaldo
Ronaldo

DM the trickiest choice there. I could have picked any of about half a dozen players there and it wouldn't have felt wrong.

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Best XI since about the mid to late 90s

Buffon
Maldini
Nesta
Cannavaro
Lahm
Keane
Xavi
Zidane
Messi
Ronaldo
Ronaldo

DM the trickiest choice there. I could have picked any of about half a dozen players there and it wouldn't have felt wrong.
I would had gone with anyone DM among Busquets, Keane, Viera and Seedorf; but as a CB; surely Ramos>Cannavaro?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Cannavaro is actually quite overrated generally, imo. Whereas Nesta, despite generally being rated pretty highly by nearly everyone, is actually still quite underrated for me personally.

Molehill

International Captain
Feels like the France turn of the Century side has been completely overlooked here bar Zidane. Desailly, Thuram, Lizarazu and Henry surely have to be in the discussions.

Was Lahm better than his Bayern predecessor?

capt_Luffy

International Regular
Feels like the France turn of the Century side has been completely overlooked here bar Zidane. Desailly, Thuram, Lizarazu and Henry surely have to be in the discussions.

Was Lahm better than his Bayern predecessor?
Thuram was defensively more stern and have the physical advantage, but imo, Lahm was technically superior, more Swift at creating attacks and was an underrated genius. Anyways, not much between them; and also Cafu. Henry isn't really in the conversation when you have Messi, and a pair of Ronaldo's; 3 Top 10 footballers of all time; and no way Lizarazu have a claim ahead of Maldini. Desailly is the great shout alongside Thuram and Viera; but just falls short to Ramos and Nesta.

My squad would be:
Buffon
Neuer
Cassilas
Lahm
Cafu
Maldini
Carlos
Ramos
Nesta
Desailly
Puyol
Busquets
Keane
Xavi
Pirlo
Zidane
Iniesta
Figo
CR7
Neymar
Messi
Ronaldo Nazario
Lewandowski

Molehill

International Captain
Massively disagree. Pre injury R9 is close to Pele imo.
Still earnt me a fortune as the top goalscorer in 2002.

Slightly hard to equate as somewhat different players, but as a standalone goalscorer, Ronaldo's record is better (even if goals in Spain are somewhat easier to come by).

capt_Luffy

International Regular

Slightly hard to equate as somewhat different players, but as a standalone goalscorer, Ronaldo's record is better (even if goals in Spain are somewhat easier to come by).
If goals in Spain are easier, then they're easily tougher in Italy. Pre injury R9 was a beast.
It still cracks me up that Henry lost the 2002 Ballon D'Or to Michael Owen

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

He actually has fewer (club) career goals than Henry, just ftr.