• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarter Finals

Molehill

International Captain
They beat them in the 3rd/4th playoff in 1999.
England obviously lost in the Lomu semi of 1995, but I had to look up what happened in the 3rd/4th play off. I'm not sure we can really count those fixtures.

The other thing I spotted from 1995 was NZ's Simon Culhane being the 7th highest scorer in the tournament despite only playing one game - 20 conversions in the match against Japan!! I guess we can at least say that the minnows are no longer quite in that category.

Molehill

International Captain
I do watch the nrl, second half starts at a decent time Saturday mornings, so I wake up and have it on before I head off to play cricket. Penrith is the team I'd back as I have family in the blue mountains. Its good fun most of the time just the plays are quite repetitive. Someone said earlier its quite stop start but I'd disagree there as the momentum of the game flows better in league. But I like the battle at the breakdown in union so that doesn't bother me. Also when playing it's great to have a breather every few minutes lol. It all comes down to opinion like everything in life. Union all day for me but each to their own.
I think it was me who mentioned the stop start, I was more referring to the tackles and lack of competition at the breakdown. It just all seems rather repetitive, although you could certainly accuse of Union of being similar when a team is 5 yards out trying to get over the line.

I mean if you're going to try and make the argument to me that union is better than league then you'll get no argument from me, I don't like league and basically never have (not for a want of trying). But even if RA somehow fixed itself here the truth is that it's probably too late; much of the core heartland of the code are no longer rugby fans, they're Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions fans aka they follow AFL instead. The former has been particularly efficient in Sydney in flipping those former rugby union areas.
English rugby has its own issues (the distribution of wealth seemingly being the biggest one), but losing players/fans to League probably isn't one.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The other thing I spotted from 1995 was NZ's Simon Culhane being the 7th highest scorer in the tournament despite only playing one game - 20 conversions in the match against Japan!! I guess we can at least say that the minnows are no longer quite in that category.
He's now married to a racehorse trainer, incidentally.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
My question is whether this is continuing development or the best they'll manage? It feels like nearing the end of the cycle for Ireland, and lets not forget that 4 of their backs are NZ/Aus anyway.

I really hope in 4 years time we're discussing 3 N Hemisphere teams in the semis, but I just can't see it happening.
Ireland are allowed to develop new players

Molehill

International Captain
Ireland are allowed to develop new players
Tough to replace those who got them to the number one ranking though. Either Ireland have developed a production line like NZ/SA or this was a team of generational talent (and some well pilfered backs).

The fact this was only the second time Ireland had even been close in a QF suggests the latter.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Farrell is the best coach we’ve ever had, and how we do at the next tournament is mostly about whether he’s still there, and whether he’s still at the cutting edge of rugby.

I don’t think our individual talent is that much better than some previous generations. It’s hard to separate from the attacking system - it makes the players look good, but it also can only possibly work with good players. The lack of handling errors in particular is remarkable given how intricate the play is and how often it involves offloading under pressure. But maybe that’s also about the types of players he chose to build the team around, most of them weren’t quite ready-made superstars when they started playing for Farrell. Like I say, hard to separate.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I don't really think this is a once in a generation talent pool for Ireland. Are their stand out players really better than o'connell o'driscoll and o'gara ect.
Now I think they are just better organised and tactically astute.

ripper868

International Coach
Would be 16 years if there had been a competent ref in 2015.
No, because Scotland would of been penalised 4-5 times at the scrum for angling in and the game already gone before the correct offside decision was made at a poorly executed lineout throwing to the back instead of the front when securing the ball was priority.

:ph34r:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
England obviously lost in the Lomu semi of 1995, but I had to look up what happened in the 3rd/4th play off. I'm not sure we can really count those fixtures.

He's now married to a racehorse trainer, incidentally.
His son, as well as being a very talented keeper-batsman, plays for the NZ men's hockey team.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
I think Farrell is the best coach we’ve ever had, and how we do at the next tournament is mostly about whether he’s still there, and whether he’s still at the cutting edge of rugby.

I don’t think our individual talent is that much better than some previous generations. It’s hard to separate from the attacking system - it makes the players look good, but it also can only possibly work with good players. The lack of handling errors in particular is remarkable given how intricate the play is and how often it involves offloading under pressure. But maybe that’s also about the types of players he chose to build the team around, most of them weren’t quite ready-made superstars when they started playing for Farrell. Like I say, hard to separate.
I think a fair bit of it comes down to the club system too. Having all the International players essentially play for just 3 clubs (and mostly 2) creates so much understanding. Joe Schmidt also had a huge role to play and created the environment for Farrell to come into.

4 years is a long time in rugby, will Farrell even still be there. It wouldn't be hard to see the RFU making him an offer...

Ali TT

International Debutant
I think a fair bit of it comes down to the club system too. Having all the International players essentially play for just 3 clubs (and mostly 2) creates so much understanding. Joe Schmidt also had a huge role to play and created the environment for Farrell to come into.

4 years is a long time in rugby, will Farrell even still be there. It wouldn't be hard to see the RFU making him an offer...
It's always confused me why the two best English coaches of the past twenty years - Edwards and Farrell - have never coached England.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's always confused me why the two best English coaches of the past twenty years - Edwards and Farrell - have never coached England.
Could probably add Rob Baxter to the list (is two names a list? Anyway...) as he's always largely absent from these discussions and has a far more compelling body of work than, oh I dunno, Steve Borthwick, say.

Molehill

International Captain
We can probably thank Eddie Jones for that. Farrell was part of the ill fated Lancaster regime and was sacked when Jones arrived (despite being well regarded by Gatland on the Lions Tour). Edwards could've come to the England set up after leaving Wales.....but you know.....Jones!!